“The spa is overpriced and not quality”

The Palms Hotel & Spa
Ranked #28 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband and I used the spa/pool here on our honeymoon and booked massages here because they were participating in spa month, which several hotels/spas in Miami participate in during July/August where you can get discounted services at $99. Regardless of the fact that the going rate for an hour deep tissue massage is $80, we were traveling and didn't know where else to go to get massages. I'm a massage therapist myself, so I might be a little more particular than most, but I've worked in spa and clinical settings so I know what good service and quality bodywork is. I chose this place because they're an Aveda spa and I love the way aveda products smell, and the pool/beach access for the day included in the price seemed like a good deal to me.
My husband was happy with his massage, he got more of a deep tissue/hot rocks/sports type massage with a cute blonde girl so he was stoked. I'm pregnant and had to pay extra for mine, which I thought was ridiculous because I never charged extra just for having to use different pillows/bolsters when I did massage, but whatever, I was desperate. The massage therapist was really abrupt in the way she touched me, and used really rapid movements and seemed to just be covering me in oil, rather than specifically targeting the muscles. If this was supposed to be a swedish massage... then the whole thing was petrissage- there was very little effleurage and if it was it would be the worst ever because it was really fast, abrupt and not calming at all. It was still nice to get my body totally covered in oil and rubbed down, but it was more like "rubbing" than a massage or "bodywork".
The timing was also really bad. Our sessions were booked for 2pm, and I know that an hour massage is actually a "professional hour" which includes a 5 minute intake in the beginning and 5 minutes at the end to get dressed and leave the room, we started at 2:05 and the time on the clock at the end was 2:49. So for my massage is was... $119 plus 20% tip for 44 minutes of a really bad massage and access to the pool, beach chairs, sauna, locker rooms, etc. Wouldn't do it again! We left feeling really ripped off and stupid for spending that much money.

Room Tip: we only used the spa.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ashleys136
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

I regret to hear of this unfortunate experience at The Palms Hotel & Spa and understand your concerns. Please know that your satisfaction is priority at The Palms and I would like to see if we could discuss this matter further. Please email me at alma@thepalmshotel.com
Best,
The Palms Hotel Management

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The place is nice. The staff is friendly, but the restaurant very slow. They charge to receive orders you might have sent to the hotel (US$5 PER item received), which I thought was an absurd!!! Besides charging, they took about 4 days to find something I had sent there... I might stay there again, but will probably try to find something closer to Lincoln Rd., so that we can walk round more easily...
One more thing: the beds are VERY small. I was traveling with my husband and 2 young sons (6 and 8) and were used to sleeping two on each bed, but there the beds were very small for 2 people.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Nice welcome from the moment we arrived by car. Valet parking is necessary, at around $30 per day. The check in area was very efficient and discrete, to the point that the check in staff would not mention our room number verbally because our name had been spoken out loud, and other people were within earshot.

The reception/check in area has a colonial feel, and the outside lounge bar also has the same feel, with roof fans gently providing a gentle breeze.

The room came with two double beds and overlooked the tree shaded pool area. There was a wc room and a shower room. Tea/ coffee available in the room. Minibar avail, but at high prices. There was an iPod docking station. The air conditioning in the room is actually quite quiet, allowing good sleeps.

The pool area was clean, quiet, with plenty sun beds. Your room rate includes beach chairs and towels. The beach is just a short walk across the board walk, and the hotel waiters come to the beach to take orders for drinks and snacks.

One very nice touch was that we were celebrating two major birthdays in our group, 50 and 21, and we arrived back to the room on our first night to find a bottle of sparkling wine, and a nice letter from the management. This was a big surprise! Thank you!

There is a small bar area beside the pool, with a snack menu.
The one surprising, and disappointing, thing was that the pool bar closed at 6.00pm every evening. Why so early? It was July, daylight, why force customers to go to the main hotel bar with their swimming gear to get the end of day beer? We noticed many confused customers being refused, and being told to go to the bar.

Anyway, apart from that, we loved the hotel! It is very comfortable, and well looked after. Fully recommendable!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Thank you for being our recent guest and taking the time to review The Palms Hotel & Spa. We appreciate your kind words in regards to our property and your feedback on the pool bar hours. To clarify, the Tiki bar is opened daily from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and Tuesdays from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Thank you again for recommending the hotel and I will share your feedback with our F&B Director.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

For my daughers 16th birthday getaway, we stayed at the Palms Hotel & Spa for three days. Thirty minutes after we checked into our room the head of the concierge knocked on our door to welcome us and asked us if we needed anything to contact her. What a welcoming way to start our vacation. The room was spotless clean, and the city view was beautiful as well. The pool and access to the beach was very helpful. We took amazing pictures by the rocks in the ocean water and the large waves added to the scenic photos. My daughter had an open air massage and she rated the service beyond five stars. If you want to relax either by the pool or at the beach, recieve great customer service and be worried-free...then The Palms Hotel & Spa is worth the price.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank proud2travel

It was a pleasure to have you as our guests. Thank you for taking the time to review The Palms Hotel & Spa. We appreciate your lovely words regarding our cleanliness, spa customer service, and Concierge. We look forward to welcoming you back for many, many more future celebrations!

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We chose this hotel not being aware that it was not centrally located in Miami Beach. We thought it was much closer to Ocean Drive, and that you can just walk down to there in a matter of minutes. It turned out it is about a 20 min walk, but would recommend a cab, which is quite inexpensive. However, this in the end got to be an advantage, since it was a much quieter neighbourhood, with a much quieter strip of beach. We really enjoyed this, and in turn it was a much better vacation because of that fact. The staff was nice, check in was fast, and coincierge was helpful. Have to give a special praise to the manager and staff of the bar. Rooms were not too big, but not too bad. They were clean, and the view was spectacular (we opted for the sea view - I'm not sure if you can even get a city view or if all rooms were like this.) Go for the higher floors. If you are looking for a quiet location in Miami Beach, this is a definite recommendation.

Room Tip: Upper floor is a must.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We booked an ocean view family suite - 2 adjoining rooms online. When we arrived at first we were told that we didn't really understand what we booked. It was just 2 double beds. After I was able to find the confirming email they were agreed, and said our rooms weren't ready yet. Later we were told they didn't have our rooms but had upgraded us to a suite. The oceanfront suite was beautiful with an amazing balcony. If it was for 2 it would have been perfect, but for 4 of us it was very tight and had only 1 bathroom which was split - shower in the bedroom, toilet in the living area. It was not at all comfortable and kids had a pullout and a cot. I thought the hotel should have made more of an effort, but did give us a few hour later check out.

The spa was wonderful - great staff and therapists. The beach and pool area is beautiful. Its a good walk to Lincoln Rd, but enjoyable especially after a nice dinner.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review The Palms Hotel & Spa. We appreciate your kind words in regards to our Spa and staff but regret the inconvenience experienced with the room type. I am glad that you were upgraded; however, your satisfaction is priority at The Palms and I would like to discuss this matter further. Please email me at alma@thepalmshotel.com
The Palms Hotel & Spa Management

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Myself & my husband stayed in The Palms for 5 nights in June. It was to finish off a 3 week holiday in The States & celebrated our 3rd Wedding Anniversary while staying there. We decided not to pay the extra for a sea view & opted for the city view. We were pleased with the choice when we found out that none of the rooms in this hotel have balconies which is the only reason we would've wanted a sea view. We were situated in a corner room, it was spacious & we liked the modern decor. The toilet was separate to the bathroom & had a quirky Eco water saving device!

The whole hotel had a lovely relaxed feel & was immaculately clean. Breakfast was included in our stay & we were very grateful when we saw it the first morning. There were most things that you would ever want for breakfast no matter what part of the world you were from. Including an omelette & waffle station. The staff in the hotel could not be faulted & were very polite & attentive.

The only negative point we have after staying here is something that is actually out of the hotel's control. The building next door to The Palms is under going major building work. This means it can be noisy while lying round the pool in working hours! It was constant which meant after a few days we didn't notice it but we heard new arrivals talking about it. I just feel that people who are due to stay there should be aware of this.

Overall, we had a wonderful time in Miami & The Palms and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013