“Relaxation Vacation”

The Palms Hotel & Spa
Ranked #30 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 1, 2013

On getting to The Palms earlier than expected and finding out that Check-in was at 4 pm , our family had lots of time to kill. We had lunch at the restaurant, amazing food although pricey, and outstanding service. The waitresses etc were eager to cater to anything we needed (ie a plastic plate for the 2 year old) and took the time to learn our names and where we were coming from and how our stay thus far had been. After lunch we took a walk to a Walgreens that was about 10 blocks and a bridge away. The room was ready at exactly 3:59 pm as they promised it would be ready by 4pm. The rooms were beautiful and we actually walked in on them cleaning the room one day and the maid was on her hands and knees scrubbing the shower, so it was obvious that they took care of the place. Our room was a bit noisy at night with a bunch of cars and bikes going by but it did not hinder our sleep because we are heavy sleepers. As far as location goes, it was just out of the way enough that we had to take a cab to places like the Miami Beach Botanical Gardens and the shopping at Lincoln Square and South Beach, but paying for cab rides definitely saved money where having a hotel closer to these places would have been much more expensive than The Palms. Although there was no playground, there was plenty of space to walk the 2 year old boy around and lots of interesting things to look at both inside and out including the couches and lounge area in the lobby, the pool area that had lots of lizards to find, and the two parrots who are married, Sunshine and Chance. Overall everyone here was very kind and welcoming. Most of the staff at the front desk, concierge, restaurant, and gift shop, knew our names and family by the second day of our visit. Going back could be in store for the future but definitely when the terrible twos are over!!!!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper try a room on the ocean side of the hotel instead of the street sides
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Palms Hotel & Spa

Reviewed June 23, 2013

The Palms has a wonderful feel to it in a small and quaint package. What there is at the hotel is mostly well done. The concierge offered amazing service and helped tremendously during our stay.

I would say a few things. The in room dining was marginal at best and the menu is terribly disappointing. The spa is itty bitty so don't expects the full experience you may be used to at resort type properties. Breakfast is just marginal and a terrible value.

Those things don't ruin the experience, and I would recommend it for budget conscious travelers as it was a nice value in terms of the room.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BCXVII
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear Brian,
It was a pleasure to have you as our recent guests. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for your feedback. I am pleased to read that our concierge staff delivered amazing service and that the hotel had a wonderful feel. Please know that your satisfaction is priority at The Palms and I would like to see if we could discuss your in room dining experience further. Please email me at alma@thepalmshotel.com
With warm regards,

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We had our wedding at the Palms in June and loved every bit of this hotel. While I am not reviewing the wedding portion of our stay I will mention that the staff did an amazing job with every detail of our wedding weekend.

As for the hotel itself, the rooms are great, the pool and beach are perfect, and the food was delicious and reasonably priced for a hotel. One of the best things about the Palms is that it is so close to the busy area of South Beach but far enough away that you do not have to be constantly immersed in its craziness. It is only about eight block to the main stretch of South Beach or a $3-4 cab ride. This is the perfect hotel for a South Beach vacation where you can relax if you want or visit the more vibrant portion of the beach. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Ocean view is worth it.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Congratulations again on your wedding! Thank you for taking the time to review The Palms Hotel & Spa. We appreciate your kind words in regards to our staff and property and look forward to welcoming you back for many, many anniversary celebrations.
All the best,

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Reconsider before you'll book this hotel. It is absolutely beautiful, near the beach, excellent food. But the service is really inconsistent, something that schold not be the case with a hotel in this pricing range. People are friemelt, but a lot goes wrong. Please also make sure wen you book seaview room, you'll book a low number room, I.e. 712 instead of 728, As otherwise you'll see and hear the construction work of the building next door.

Room Tip: Please don't book the rooms enting with 28, 26, 24 As you will see and hear the construction wor...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Leontine A

Dear Leontine,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted that you found the hotel to be absolutely beautiful and the food excellent. Guest satisfaction is priority at The Palms Hotel & Spa and I would like to see if we could discuss this matter further. Your feedback is very important to us. Kindly email me at alma@thepalmshotel.com
Best wishes,

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We were staying in The Palms Hotel on our honeymoon in late May. The hotel is great! They gave us a room with an ocean view and the view was gorgeous. The pool area and and the beach were so nice. Breakfast buffet was also good and I'm sure there's something for everyone. Staff was always friendly. The hotel is a good choice if you want to enjoy the sun and the sea. Only thing that bothered a little, was the window of our room. It seemed that when it rained the carpet in front of it got wet. Other than that everything was great.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I got married here two years ago and just got back from our 2 yr anniversary trip. The hotel is still nice but customer service is lacking. For having given them a lot of business I was surprised at the way they handled a few things.

First off rooms- room was very nice but as another poster said, they do not sweep or vacuum. For a nice hotel like this it’s pretty embarrassing. They need to do a thorough job, as the customer is directly affected by this. My hair and sand was still on the floor after they came in.

when I originally booked my room, they asked if i wanted to include breakfast for a discount ($25pp instead of $30pp) which i said ok. When we got there we realized that there was a cafe/restaurant (much cheaper) a block away. I called to get the breakfast removed and they said they could not do it. I had not paid them yet and i had not eaten there. But they said it was part of the "package". After talking to the manager at the front desk for 20 min, he finally "got approval"---Now to be clear, my room rate did not include the breakfast...i booked my room and then added breakfast. Yes they did take it off, but not without a fight and I had to say (which I was hoping I didn’t have to point out) that I got married there and gave them a lot of business so it's crazy that they are giving me a hard time about this. Really wish it didn’t have to come to that.

I am now home and looking my bank account. When i first booked the hotel, I used my check card for the deposit. When i checked out, i used a credit card (different card). After looking at my accounts, they charged my check card (card I used for the deposit only) $600+. This charge isn’t even the total amount of my bill when I checked out so i don’t know where this random $600+ charge is coming from. I called and was transferred to 3 different people's VM… unacceptable. They need to answer their phone. I called again a half hour later and spoke to someone that should not be in customer service. He wasn’t mean but he wasn’t nice either. He sounded like he was just going through the motions, seemed annoyed by my questions and was not apologetic. They randomly charged $600+ to my check card (not credit)..this is a huge mistake that they didn’t seem too concerned about making.

Bottom line, The Palms needs to work on their customer service. As nice as my wedding was and as nice as the property is, unfortunately what sticks out most (now) is the their lack of good customer service.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Alma C, Manager at The Palms Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

I am sorry to hear of this unfortunate experience at The Palms Hotel & Spa. I regret the inconvenience and understand your concerns. Please know that your satisfaction is priority at The Palms and I would like to see if we could set up a time to discuss this matter further. Please email me at alma@thepalmshotel.com

Reviewed June 7, 2013

The hotel is actually really quite nice, the rooms being more than adequate.
Grounds and pool area and convenience to the beach excellent.Food and
drink being also of fair quality although the cost of both bordering on being
criminal.We only eat and drank once in the hotel we just could not justify paying
such inflated prices.

Our wedding party consisted of around 38 members most of whom found the constant
construction noise from the new hotel being built next door a real interference, mixed with the
hotels own early morning internal maintenance you rarely felt your holiday stay was not on a complete construction demolition derby.

Our first impressions as we entered the hotel took at turn for the worse as the bride and grooms room was void of any welcome pack and they where given a two single bed room.
this took days to sort out. Our groups experience then became even more unsuitable as various personal items where being stolen from the rooms. please take note a small safe
is provided in the rooms but you will not be able to fit all your possessions in this safe.
My advice is to stay away from this hotel its a complete rip off and i left feeling sick to
the stomach.

Room Tip: sea view stay away from flat roofs
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends