“Small with few frills”

Ranked #67 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Chicago, Illinois
“Small with few frills”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Upon entering the lobby your thinking great things are to come. Well, just average would be more like it. Everything is red and white which is eye catching and for the most part clean. The pool is small but enough room to swim outdoors and only till the dusk. The elevators are noisy and one of the two will work. No chairs in the room make it very uncomfortable as you have to sit on the bed at all times. Not much room for anything and the fridge is in the closet. As for location, not the best. It's about 1 block from the beach but 13 blocks from Ocean Drive and shopping. As for getting to and from the airport, there is a $2.00 bus that runs each way. Overall it was clean, the bed was comfy and there were towels.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jackie S
RedSouthBeachHotel, Public Relations Manager at Red South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Jackie S,
Thank you for your review. Concerning the elevators, we are beginning a complete modernization of both elevators beginning in September. Regarding the location of the hotel, our website states (as well as the traveler agencies) that the property is located at the gateway of South Beach. You can take a cab, (it costs around $8) or rent a decobike ($1.50 per hour) or walk and enjoy the architecture of South Beach or the wonderful way bounding the ocean. Some people appreciate to be at the gateway others prefer being in the heart of South Beach. Have a nice week

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Greek first
Schenectady, New York
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My lady and I stayed here in July with another couple . Im not gonna bore you with talks of our vaca, But to get to the point it was by far one of the best hotels stays I've had. Im a professional DJ and stay in a lot of hotels and can tell you I have had some horrible stays.But not this time RED is the bomb. From the sec. you get there they make sure you are taken care of. The prices are reasonable not super south beach. The food is off the hook. Met the chef dude works his [--] off to make sure your satisfied. The owner was that humble guy you would never know was the owner. With all the flashy types in south beach that is very rare. So in all if your looking for a nice spot to stay on your vaca to MIA check them out 1st. They wont let you down. Thanks RED Ill be back soon.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Dvdjdread,
So delighted to hear your stay was amazing and that you enjoyed the restaurant and the facilities. We hope to see you back soon ! Have a nice week
N. Carolina
Reviewed August 19, 2012

This hotel was up to par with decor and service certainly. The gentleman were extremely helpful with our luggage on arrival and departure. We were a group of 11 total. The bar has a nice evening cocktail that's "free." Just remember to take your bills down to tip. There is a beautiful dining area near the lobby but we never ate there. Never checked out the pool but large enough to lay out around - not really a lap pool. Were I not into the liveliness that is classified as "South Beach" I would certainly stay here again. I don't blame the hotel though as I happened to be staying with a group and had no say in choice of location. Anyone who is wise enough though can read that 3000 block means about 13 or so down from the main area with all the restaurants including Lincoln street and the main beach.

Other than the elevator being broken once (promptly fixed), I had no complaints with our stay. Got my money's worth. The only place for a quick eat is the Subway nearby. Otherwise, there is an amazing restaurant at the Palms Hotel and Spa across the street with a wonderful patio/restaurant that we just walked into. Their mimosas were yummy and so was the lunch menu. I wish I had tried Red South Beach dining to give an honest opinion but oh well.

Check out Albion closer to the main area though... stayed there in 2008. If you care about "location, location, location," then check it out!

Room Tip: bathrooms are tiny but plenty of dresser space in room to get ready
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Ticachica,
Thank you so much for your kind review. It has been a pleasure for us to take care of you and your group. For the elevators, we are beginning a complete modernization of both elevators beginning in September. And during your next visit to Miami, please, try the restaurant. The food is really delicious. And we will once again have the pleasure to see you. Have a nice week
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I loved the red south beach hotel. The staff was really nice and welcoming. And the lobby is one of my favorite thing about the hotel. Super cute. Exactly like you see in the pictures. I took tons of pictures there :)
The food at the restaurant as delicious and the chef even came to say hi to us which was a big plus! Very friendly staff as well.
I will definitely return there!

• Stayed August 2012
Dear ChloeAlex,
It was such a pleasure to read your review. We are going to post new videos on Facebook, Twitter and Youtube so feel free to look at them: we would love to have your feedback. We can’t wait to welcome you back for your next stay in Miami. Ps: Did you take a picture in the egg chair? If yes, please post it on Facebook !
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Stayed here for a couple of nights. We booked months in advance and arrived to a very nice hotel. Stylish if I had to describe it in one word.

What lets this place down is the restaurant/cafe. We arrived to find that the restaurant was hanging hands or something and as such was completely closed. Having booked months in advance I would have expected the hotel to inform all guests staying over this period of closure but instead we arrived to find that no refreshments whatsoever were available.

Halfway through our stay the restaurant did in fact reopen. We ate there for breakfast but left feeling ripped off. The prices were nothing short of extortionate. $9 for half a small baguette and jam? You must be joking!

Considering the cost per night, I left feeling somewhat insulted at the restaurant fiasco and prices.

The somewhat tempremental lift was annoying as we got stuck for some time without any apology from any member of staff.

The Red is a lovely hotel but it has missed the mark with several important aspects. Unfortunately I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Traveller 0812,
We are really sorry you were inconvenienced with the restaurant. Right now, it’s re-opened with a great menu and delicious food. For the elevators, in one month, they are going to be replaced. We really hope that during your next stay in Miami, you will take the time to visit the hotel to see all the modifications we will have made. Have a nice week-end
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed August 16, 2012

4 of my girlfriends and I headed to Miami for a bachelorette party last fall, we had an amazing time! We are all 25-29 years old and this hotel accommodated our party moods very well! We didn't mind paying a few bucks a night to grab a cab downtown considering we are from NYC and the hotel staff accommodated us well with our requests such as suggestions with dining and clubs.
In February of 2012 I decided to revisit the Red with my boyfriend given my good experience last trip and I must say, it was a bit embarrassing. It was then when I spent more time at the hotel I could see the inconsistency. The mimosa's were over priced and week, to the point where I had to ask for a glass of champagne with orange juice! I manage a restaurant and would flip if I saw my bartenders pouring 3/4 OJ in a mimosa. The pool is very small and can only accommodate about 20 people max. Our room was stale and the AC dripped from the ceiling into the kitchen onto tiled floors, very dangerous. When we brought it to their attention they said "sorry" and never fixed it. The internet wasn't working the entire trip so I couldn't get any work done. We weren't offered an upgrade or a decent apology.
All in all, this is a party hotel, and a great one if you're with a group of friends. If you plan on going for a relaxing vacation where you will spend time at the hotel, I do not suggest it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Stephanie B
Thank you for your comment. We are sorry that your two experiences have been really different. I am sorry that you were disappointed on your return visit. In regards to the pool it is still the same size as on your first trip, however we are about to replace the entire pool deck for a better experience for our guests. I am not sure what the issue was with the internet as we have not had any downtime in recent months. It is always a good idea to check with the front desk as many times settings need to be changed on individual computers. We do supply loaner laptops at no additional cost for anyone who needs one or is having technical challenges with their own. We do cater to a wide range of guests at Red and many stay here for the relaxed vibe of the property. I hope you come back because the 3rd time is a charm.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I find myself writing a lot more reviews as I’ve gotten older, and when asked when I left the hotel today to write a review, well, I was kind of surprised. I know the hotel does review this site (they handed me the card) so I’m going to be honest in what I think.

For starters, the true beauty of this hotel is the staff. The staff is the reason why I’m giving this hotel a 3 (for the staff, it really is a true 5 star experience). The people at the front desk (the night clerk on duty Friday 8/10 (he said call him Jay) the night clerk on duty Saturday (can’t remember his name but he was from NY, and was so helpful I brought him some Cuban food from a GREAT restaurant he suggested to me Saturday night 8/11. To the bartender on duty Saturday night 8/11 Indiana I believer was her name, the manager, never got his name but he’s French and truly took care of the wedding party I was with, to Sunday morning checking out where (I believe her name was Charlie) was able to take away some charges due to the bad experience I had with the elevators. Again, 5 STAR SERVICE. I mean truly 5 star service (even down to my refund when I couldn’t check in for my prepaid room) again, the service here is why I would honestly come back to this hotel.

The hotel as a whole is in a great location. It’s close enough to the action where a $10 cab ride will take you right into the mix, but far enough where the beach that’s RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET isn’t dominated by a ton of people, so that’s not a negative, but a big plus. The rooms, yes, they really are SMALL!!!! I mean if you are coming to south beach you aren’t coming to sit in your room, but they are small though, decently well kept, a little run down, bed was squeaky, but not horrific.

You can clearly see when you go into the hotel itself that it’s past it’s prime. Water stains in certain parts, peeling wall paper on the walls, carpet is worn, clearly the hotel is past due for a renovation, but again, it’s not BAD! The only truly bad experience I can say about this hotel was the elevators. There are two elevators in the lobby, the one on the right closest to the check in desk kept breaking down all weekend. I got stuck in the elevator 4 times during my stay. And no, it was just me, everyone in our wedding party had that experience, and a good portion of the people I talked to at the hotel had it as well. They never shut the elevator down, put up a sign or anything saying it was broke they would just do an emergency override each time and probably the longest I had to wait in it was about 15 minutes at one point. In essence, the door kept getting stuck! BUT, with that said, the staff was gracious enough to waive the 3 drinks I charged to my room the night before, so no harm, no foul.

Overall, would I stay here again, yes, the price in that area is VERY reasonable, and other than some refurbishing and the elevator experience, I would stay here. But that’s because of how awesome the staff truly is at this hotel. There are some great people that work here, good people, and just on the strength of that is why I would. Thank you for making my stay a good one.

Jason D Miles
Room 721

Room Tip: There are refrigerators in the rooms (in the closet) and when you make a right out of the hotel ther...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jason M
Dear JM,
Thank you for your honest review. We are going to replace the elevators in one month and we are really sorry about this annoying situation. We are really proud of our team. They really take care of our guests and pay attention to every detail in order to make their stay better. Also, we are going to renovate the pool and the hallways so we really hope that during your next stay you will give us another chance. Thus, you could check the new decoration and see our team again. Have a nice week