“Awesome girls weekend”
Review of Hotel Chelsea

Hotel Chelsea
Ranked #84 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Our first impression of this hotel was very good as we did not expect much from a 3 star hotel. For a small, boutique style hotel, it was very clean, cozy and comfortable. All the staff we encountered were nice, friendly and courteous. We had 3 people share 1 room with 2 double beds, and this was more than enough for us. Although the room itself was a little small, the beds were comfortable.

The rest rooms were more designed for couples as there was only a small glass divider between the shower area and the toilet and sink area which made it hard for us 3 girls to share the washroom to get ready. The water for the shower had about 3 different temperatures: cold, slightly warmer, and very hot. It was sometimes hard to control, but it was still manageable. Other than this, the washroom was very clean and neat.

The A/C was definitely loud when it went on, but just sounded like loud white noise. We also noticed that our floors must have been crooked because we saw a huge slanted gap between the door and our floor. This is probably why we heard everything that went on in the hallway (even at 5 am!) We stuffed a towel by the door the second night and this seemed to work to muffle the hallway noises. Walls are pretty thin in the hotel, but we didn't experience too many unruly neighbours.

A flat screen TV was provided in our room, but was very unclear. After asking the front desk to send someone up to fix it, they tried their best and made it more clear, but was still not to our liking. They promised to have someone else fix it the next day, but no one came. I guess this wasn't too much of a big deal since there were so many things to do in South Beach that we didn't watch TV too much, but it was a little annoying that it never got fixed in the 3 nights we were there.

The front lobby bar is excellent. The servers were friendly and fast. Happy hour was from 7-8 pm everyday and although the selection of drinks was minimal during happy hour (limited to gin, vodka, and rum with any soda or juice), it was still enough to get a buzz on. Drinks during normal hours were also pretty cheap, $3 shots, $4 beers, $5 frozen drinks, $6 martinis, mojitos and margarita's. The seating inside the lobby and on the outdoor patio were relaxing and entertaining as there was a DJ every night.

Hotel location was excellent as it was in the middle of everything and a short walking distance from the beach, restaurant and shops. The beach was about a 5 minute walk from our hotel and free beach towels were provided for our use. Although restaurants on Ocean Drive were quite expensive, it wasn't hard to find great small restaurants that were on the less expensive side (11th Street Diner, La Sandwicherie, Pizza Rustica). There is also a 7/11 close to the hotel where we went to get a quick snack. There is also a kitchen that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner at Hotel Chelsea as well.

The free shuttle service from the airport to the hotel and back to the airport was great. It picked us up from the airport (2nd floor of Gate G, door 26) right on time and picked us up from the Hotel about 15 minutes after the posted time. The drive from the airport to the hotel is about 45 minutes, and you save a lot of money with this free shuttle bus. Make sure you book your shuttle bus back from the hotel to the airport the night before you leave so the driver knows to come get you at the hotel.

Overall, our experience at Hotel Chelsea was very good, and we would definitely return for another girls weekend trip.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank sindhum114

Reviewed May 2, 2012

I'd prefer to stay in a unique, boutique hotel over a large chain, so this place was great for me. I really liked the art deco exterior. The lobby was small, but well appointed. There is a nice little lounge bar and outdoor seating. The room had a King Size bed with a flat screen tv. The room was cozy, but there was ample drawers, bathroom space, etc.

There is a free happy hour (literally hour) every day. They also give you free towels to use for the beach. It's right in South Beach and within quick walking distance to the beach, restaurants, etc.

I'd recommend getting some cuban coffee and then heading to le sandwicherie.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Eric B
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I was extremely skeptical when I booked this room b/c I'm a Marriott rewards member and I'm used to nice rooms & service. I thought this unfamiliar hotel would be disappointing (bug invested/dirty). Surprisingly it was very clean. No bugs. A/C wasn't so easily adjustable (extremely cold) and you could here people walking through their room above you. But, I didn't come to South Beach to hang in my room all night so it wasn't a big deal and the noise wasn't constant. Price, location & cleanliness will bring me back to this hotel. Very friendly staff too.

• Stayed: April 2012
5  Thank eshayes
Reviewed April 25, 2012

My fiancé and I were looking for a pet friendly hotel to accommodate us and our two dogs and bringfido.com referred us to Hotel Chelsea. They are listed as only charging a $100 pet deposit with no limit to amount a pets per room. At check in I asked the gentleman at the desk to confirm this information because I was concerned about any additional charges after reading Steven H's review. The gentleman confirmed that there was just the $100 deposit and the rate for the room. Even after I extended our stay for an additional night he again confirmed that we were only being charged the normal room rate plus the deposit for our pets which would be refunded.

Unfortunately at check out I was helped by another person who informed me I was being charged An additional $25 per dog per night. The Hotel Chelsea overall was a decent place to stay. Great location, clean rooms and modern decor. However, hitting guests with undisclosed fees at checkout will definitely keep us from staying there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Yes, location is good but NOTHING ELSE!! Just spent 2 nights (Sun and Mon) and if I had to be there one more night I would have fled! My friend arrived before me and immediately noticed and reported the tv not working; hours later, still did not work. When I arrived I was sorely disappointed on the limited walking space betwen the door and the two beds in the room. There was dust on the table under the tv, which remained untouched for 2 additional days. By morning, I reported to receptionist not working: tv, lamp between beds, phone and one lightbulb immediately above the tiny, bathroom. While all were addressed by the early afternoon, aside from making the beds, the room and bathroom remained untouched. AND THE BEST PART - Sunday night there was loud noise, frat party-like, outside room, on top of room, running, screaming. It ended around 5am, no kidding. While Monday was a bit better, I was probably too sleep deprived from previous night to notice too much. I would gladly pay $50 a night for the ability to move without tripping on furrniture --- though no drawers for clothes -- good sleep and clean bathrooms. I am only 40 yrs old, but I think anyone should be able to expect a quiet, clean area to rest.

Room Tip: Anywhere but here for cleanliness and peaceful stay.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 16, 2012

This "boutique" hotel was clean and in a good location but that's all it had going for it. The rooms are small, dark and not very inviting. The bar area is also small and the atmosphere just wasn't friendly. On two occasions, our room keys didn't work so we had to go downstairs so the front desk could reprogram them. The final straw was the last night we were there. We came in late and my room key wouldn't work. I went to get it reprogramed - AGAIN - but the man at the desk wouldn't fix it for me because someone had forgotten to charge the deposit to our credit card. The room was already paid for, mind you, but because of an error on their part at check in, they locked me out of my room at 1 am. They insisted they could only use my husband's credit card since he had made the reservation. They wouldn't take my card even though it had the same account number. Unfortunately, my husband was parking the car several blocks away (parking is a big problem in this area) so I had wait in the lobby for 20 minutes for him to come back. It was ridiculous and the worst part was that the guy at the desk just didn't care. Overall, the customer service was unprofessional and not helpful in the least.

I would not recommend this hotel and would never stay there again. With so many other options in the area, I know we can do better next time.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Steve_Sbg_Vibe_Mgr, Manager at Hotel Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2012

Kat S,

I am sorry to hear that you had an issue with your room key. We are looking into the matter to see exactly what was the issue and to ensure it does not happen again. We hope that you will change your mind and stay with us again. We also want to remind you that most of our policies are in place to protect you during your stay. The reason we had to use your husbands card was because we did not want there to be any issues on either one of your credit cards. In addition, we offer valet service on location for a fee to avoid the frustration of finding parking on your own.

Steven Morales
Vibe Manager

Reviewed March 21, 2012

Hotel was decent, but communication and pricing very vague. When I checked in, I paid for our stay in full and was told that payment was received in full all we needed to do was drop off keys at check out...hahaha...when we went to check out, they tried charging us an additional fee above and beyond what we where originally told, then upon getting our travel agent involved, it turned out, there was a "resort fee" on top of all the other fees that was neglected to be shared with us at any time. So I was charged an additional $360 dollars at check out...If you choose to stay at this hotel, be sure to get everything 100% in writing and even then, don't be surprised if you get dinged even more at the end of your stay like we did...

Room Tip: I would recommend getting everything documented in writing prior to check in from the hotel. We used...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends

Steven H,

Thank you for staying with us with your girlfriend. I hope she had an amazing birthday in the beautiful Miami Beach. We understand your frustration with regard to the resort fee. It seems as though the third party you used to book your stay failed to disclose this information. We disclose this information on our website to all of our guest. We hope that you will come back soon to visit us.

Steven Morales