“Decent hotel”

Ranked #92 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Chicago, Illinois
“Decent hotel”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

As far as location I like that it was right on the beach. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The pool area was beautiful. Check in went smoothly. When we got to our floor we noticed the base board of the walls were torn off and the hallway just looked raggedy but on the 3rd day of our stay the walls were fixed. Our room was nicely decorated but it was dusty and had a pee/mildew smell. Also during our stay the elevators went out of order and we had to take the stairs to and from the 6th floor that whole day.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
here
Reviewed December 13, 2013

aesthetically outdated but great value for the location, being a beachfront property and directly in collins ave... parking is $22 per day but there's a public parking lot nearby, did not eat at the restaurant, pool is great, staff is genuinely friendly but my sense is that their customer service policies are not as strict, thin walls, outdated patio furniture, terraces are accessible from neighbors rooms so security is a concern... but a great value if traveling as a group with no many valuables... there's some construction on the properties nearby but not a lot of noise... would def come back, hope they choose to renovate but keep their prices...

Room Tip: book at least 4-5 months ahead of time....
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
phx
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

Great place close to south
beach, nice pool and beachfront property. We had a free balcony upgrade with great ocean view. Staff was friendly but, extremely busy. Parking fee and resturant food was just average and bit pricey. Great Cuban resturant down th street and subway.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank chatyo01
Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

I would venture to say out of a total of 195 hotels... There probably is 95 worse than this place. Our experience here was not so great. This hotel has absolutely beautiful grounds...top notch & well manicured. The location is right on the ocean & about a 6 min drive north of South Beach. Very peaceful area of Miami Beach. The ocean / beach / pool...grounds view from balcony is grand. The lobby area is very nice in appearance. These things ARE what's nice about this hotel. The valet was very disorganized & seemed to only have One attendant. Wait was lengthy just to check in my car...one person ahead of me. Check in took close to 45 min (with several clerks present) to ask how may I help you? & along with myself at the counter, were 2 other people either checking in or out..not sure. This area seemed to be very disorganized also. We had a double queen room. The great thing here was the view. Balcony is nice size, however, you are supplied w/ 2 $8.00 plastic chairs like you buy at Walmart & a matching table for furniture. And, literally the balconies are divided by a 4 ft wall between them. Every balcony had the $8.00 furniture. The furniture in the room...at least our room...was very very outdated. Including the old style hotel phones. The only up to date piece was the flat screen tv. Beds were ok..we slept. They were not plush by any means, nor was bedding. It included a frig however, it barely cooled drink containers ( food would spoil). Flooring old. The absolute worst thing was this room was crawling with tiny ants... Everywhere! We had the impression this room hadn't been used recently and / or was not cleaned thoroughly. Did not try food here. Went across street to Barok at Red South Beach to eat. Again, great location...beautiful grounds...are the plus!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank J M

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Didcot Oxfordshire
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Have just been reading latest reviews and very surprised. We have just arrived back after 14 days and were treated superbly. Few problems with rooms but reception sorted out the issues straight away. Lots of renovations going on so a few hick ups we had to change rooms 3 times but all done smoothly. All staff very helpful especially breakfast staff (breakfast plenty for all and loads of choice) and evening bar staff very friendly.......we found that if you treated the staff with respect then they gave 150% back. I have actually witnessed guests speaking to staff with little respect and being very rude there is no need for it you are on holiday so chill its not a 5 star hotel if you want more then go and pay more. Location very good, local bus picks up at front of hotel, get the 120 service to the Mall, booked Sawgrass through the little shop again, you can walk to Lincoln road but if not then a taxi is only $7. Boardwalk right outside the back gate so loads of options.
Thanks to all the staff at Riu yet again this year, already looking at next years booking. We were a party of 4 and all enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: If your staying more than 3 days nice to have a balcony. We liked level 9 and 10
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank didcotoxon
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Location is not the best in South Beach, but the few blocks walk or a cab ride is worth the experience at this hotel. Feels like traveling outside the country, maybe somewhere in South America. it's a great ambiance, good service, friendly stuff. The pool and back yard is to dream for!!! i will go back with no question asked!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Andy D
VA
Reviewed November 11, 2013

This is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. It all started when we walked in and never got any better. We get there at 2:30 and asked for early check in because we had a baby with us. They told us the room wasn’t ready because check-in was at 4. We asked if they could call us when it was ready, surprisingly the front desk said “NO” ,you just have to keep checking back. So we decided to wait by the pool and get a drink. No service at the pool, so you have to go up to the pool bar. When my wife walked up, she heard the bartenders making fun of the couple that ordered drinks before her. What they said really offended her so we didn’t go up for any more drinks.
The pool area is nice but the pool is not heated and is cold in early November. We decided to skip the pool and use the hot tube, but guess what, they don’t have one.
The only thing you can do is layout.
We finally got checked into our room at 3:30. It was disturbing that she never asked for any ID. The rooms are not very good. The carpet is old with lots of stains on it. We never let our daughter touch the floor. The balcony, has a limited view and are all close together. A four foot wall separates all the balconies. I literally could jump over the wall to the next balcony and continue down about 10 balconies.
At 8, we went down to check out the dinner buffet. They allowed me to walk through before we ate. I am glad I did, the food looked like it had been sitting there for hours. I walked straight out. There is a bar right beside the buffet. About five people were sitting around the bar listening to 80’s music while watching a disco ball. People did not look like they were having fun.
Still hungry, we went over to the concierge desk to ask if he could recommend a Chinese restaurant. What a surprise, he didn’t know of any. I finally got a number on my phone. Once the food arrived, they won’t let the delivery person up to the room, so I had to come down. After checking the bag, I noticed there were no forks. I want over to the buffet and asked for two plastic forks. The manager told me he couldn’t give me any and that I would have to buy some from their little store which was right beside the buffet. However, the door was locked because the employee was out somewhere. The manager told me I would have to wait around for about 10 minutes for him to return. REALLY you couldn’t help me out. Finally, when I got my fork, I pressed the elevator button to go back up. The elevator that had the “out of order” sign opened up. The man at the desk said that they must have fixed it, but he wasn’t sure. So instead of checking he just took down the sign. I felt real safe.
Next morning we were gone. Not one employee want out of their way to give us even basic service and the place is in need of some major refurbishing.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family