“Nice for miami beach standards”

Hotel Riu Plaza Miami Beach
Ranked #92 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I've stayed at several Miami Beach hotels and to be honest, to stay at a nice, decent hotel you need to pay from 150 to 200 a night. I booked this room from hotwires pay first, see later system for 120 a night. It was ok, clean, again, decent for mb standards. There is no parking garage but valet is 20 a day. Beach is behind hotel and there's a nice pool, bar/rest outside. Staff was pretty helpful and the lobby is pretty nice for hanging out/checking internet. Internet is free only in the lobby area, you have to pay if you use it in your room. Only cons is that there are only 2 elevators so it takes forever for you to get to your room or lobby (unless you take the stairs like we did a few times). Kind of annoying. I would say it's a good place to stay for families because it's not next to any clubs but you do need a rental car if you want to go to south beach (about a 20 minute walk, 15 to Lincoln Road). There are also a few little bodega like stores near by.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank mytrvlexp
Write a ReviewReviews (2,070)

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed 4th of July weekend 2013. The hallways smell nice and fresh but when we got in our room it smelled like wet carpet and musty.Very strong smell. Asked for a luggage cart and after 40 minutes of waiting we decided to just take our bags down ourselves, and lastly when we thought it couldn't get worse, the valet company they use stole my bank bag with my checkbook out of my center console in my vehicle!! They say they are not responsible for lost or stolen items..so basically it's an opportunity to steal. I advise everyone to take EVERYTHING of value out of your vehicle. Me and my family will NEVER stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank studio5muzik
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

The Riu was perfectly located along Miami Beach. Yes, it is a little outdated and could use refurbishing. The pool was great and the beach was a hop and a skip away. There was a parking fee and parking was valet. This was not an option; however, when staying further away we had to pay for parking and use the public restroom facilities (disgusting- no joke). I had to tip toe in flip flops around urine and fecal matter on the floor in the restroom. One day, it looked as if the toilets overflowed and no one cleaned the restrooms all day (public restrooms for public beach access not at the hotel). This makes paying for valet parking and having access to the restrooms at the hotel a big plus. The public rr's by The Pearl and Nikki's on the Beach were typically very clean, but the others were not.
The check in and out procedure was somewhat archaic (kept paper files for all guests making the procedures extremely slow). My only complaint is I had to ask for washcloths three times our first day before we actually received them 11 o'clock at night. Then we had to hide them so we would have washcloths for the remainder of our stay. We never had any washcloths left in our room after it was cleaned. I am not sure if this has something to do with the chain (Riu) because I had the same issue in Domican Republic and Mexico when I stayed at the
Riu resorts.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank RFetty
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Came here for a bachelor party. First, the 4 stars that are displayed all over the hotel with the logo are long gone from being appropriate. Everything at this hotel is outdated from atleast the 80's. The exterior facade of the building needs painting and a lot of work. The rooms and hallways have a damp feeling to them. Bathroom was very small. Even the check-in procedures are way outdated. That said, the good parts. The property and lobby were very well kept. The location on the beach was great. The pool bar was pretty good. Everything was clean and the staff really tried to beat the damp feeling with all of fruit scents. Balcony with the oceanview room is a must here. Makes everything better. A/C works well. The hotel renovations on either side of the hotel will make that area very impressive. The hotel management at this hotel needs to quickly renovate this hotel so that it doesnt stand out in a negative way. It definitely was 4 star in the past, it needs more renovations to get it back there now.

That all said, I would consider going back there again for the right price but I would shop around.

Room Tip: Definitely get an Ocean View Room
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I cannot believe it! The clock and toilette were broken. The carpet was not clean. What a day! One front desk girl was horrible. She did not smile at all for the whole time. She was not patient and discriminate my race and my English, although she had Spanish accent herself. I asked her to speak slowly. She told me that she spoke as slow as she could. Then she showed me a dirty look.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Chaor
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Firstly we stayed here mostly on points, so the review could have some bias because we did not pay much to stay here.

This hotel is the only Riu located in the United States and doesn't entirely fit the pattern of their all-inclusive Caribbean and Mexican counterparts. It seems to attract many Spanish speaking and European travelers which was nice because even though we were in the USA we felt like we had gone to a more exotic Caribbean location.
The building is a restored 10 story art deco style building with a lot of 1950's charm, and has undergone a lot of restoration, but don't expect "modern" i.e. granite, glass bathrooms, etc. This building is a good mesh of the grand lobbies and restaurants found in the giant Riu resorts in the Carribean with the Art Deco style of many older Miami Beach area hotels. The lobby and restaurant do remind you of the resorts with a grand feel to them, but they are more scaled down and cozy.
The pool is a good size and the grounds are well kept, again with a cozy feel to them. The outdoor lunch place has a modest but reasonably priced menu. The public beach is just steps away, but chaises and umbrellas are not free and not cheap at $25 for a set of 2 + umbrella.

This hotel is easy to get to from the airport, and if you rent a car the valet parking at $22/day is very convenient for trips to nearby attractions. Access to public transit is right at the front door.

Food is hit and miss. The breakfast was always good and lots to choose from. Supper was another story. Some food was overcooked, bland, or spent too long in the heat lamp. Some food, usually the meat cooked by the chef as needed, was very good.

Having said the above, this hotel's greatest asset is it's friendly and helpful staff. They are very attentive to the customers and very polite (even though we don't speak Spanish). This hotel is overall a very good choice and hard to judge by a Google street view.

Room Tip: A pool/ocean view room is probably much better and most/all have a patio. City view rooms are withou...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Having a breakfast is always a good start for me so when my family and I decided to spend some days in Florida this was one of the major criteria for our hotel selection and this is also why we decided on the Riu. And that was already one of the highlights of this hotel: The breakfast is really good, with a lot of choices, everything is very fresh, so if you have a hankering for a healthy and filling breakfast, this is the place to go. The only thing we did not like about the breakfast area is that you are allowed to smoke in the outside section. Having a non-smoking section would be a definite boon.
What was also quite good was the room that we were given. Silvia from the reception, a real gem, gave us a nice room with a beautiful view of the ocean, the room was also very quiet, so that was also very positive.
The swimming pool is very nice, sizewise it fits and if you need a longer swim of course there is always the ocean, which is just beyond the borders of the hotel; there is also a nice footpath that takes to to the center of Miami Beach so if you are in the mood for a nice car-free walk, just do that.
Coming to the "lowlights" of the hotel (one of them not really the fault of the hotel): Right now there is a lot of construction going on, so to the left and to the right of the hotel there are two major construction sites and I do not really enjoy the sounds of construction waking me up in the morning.
I also did not cherish the fact that I could not access my car. I understand if they do valet parking (which btw is quite costly, 22 $ per night), but sometimes I just need to access the car to get something out of it and I would have preferred if I could have just gone down into the garage to pick up my stuff. Also it sometimes takes them more than half an hour to pick up your car, which is not really pleasant if you want to go off and see things in Miami.
But that is about all I did not like about the hotel, so the benefits far surpass the shortcomings of the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family