“Don't see the problem with these complaints!”

Hotel Riu Plaza Miami Beach
Ranked #93 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Don't see the problem with these complaints!”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed in the RIU for 1 night/2 days after a cruise in Miami before a flight home to the UK. We were greeted as soon as we walked into the hotel, the staff on the front desk were more than helpful. I was looking to find DASH the Kardashian store which was a few blocks away...the girls on the reception got a map out, found out the exact location for me. The hotel is quite dated, it could do with a referb, but that was nothing as it was clean. Nothing was 'dirty' the only thing i seen was a hair on the bed when we arrived. There's not much on the boardwalk just lots of stray cats, but perfect for a morning walk to clear your head after getting home at 2am from South Beach! The pool area was quite busy when we were there so we went to the beach, literally 30 second walk. The bus stop/taxi rank right outside the hotel to take you wherever. The shop in the hotel is expensive, there is one literally 5 minutes down the road for half the price...which is where there is a subway..italian etc. Dont know why people are complaining, take them with a pinch of salt as yes it could do with a refurb but theres alot worse. They upgraded me as soon as i got there free of charge, we arrived at about 11am and we knew check-in wasnt until about 3pm, and we were just going to drop our bags there and go shopping, however reception made sure they had a room ready for us straight away...lovely. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Top floor, corner room over looking the beach
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Malvern worcs
Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

My wife and myself stayed in this hotel for three nights in August 2012. I have stayed in a lot of riu hotels before (mainly in mexico) and I must say this is the most disappointed I've have been so far.
Bad points:
Upon arrival we were asked if we were on our honeymoon in which we told a little fib and said yes as we were married 6 months before this holiday. We were told they would upgrade us to a sea view which seemed great. When we got to the room the sea view consisted of a load of balconys and trees however if you leaned out of the window (no balcony either!!) your could just about see the horizon I would not class this as a sea view, upon complained we asked to move rooms but in response were told the hotel was full! So there was no upgrade, the reception staff just wanted it to look like a good deed had been done, I thought the breakfast at the hotel was average, cheap food and not a massive selection.
The pool was overcrowded no room for ball games the water was extremely warm and not refreshing to get in.
Thought the rooms were very dated and needed an upgrade.
Good points:
The hotel is in an ideal location about 20 min walk along the boardwalk to get to ocean drive.
There is a bus stop a few mins walk from the hotel which will take your around Miami.
There is free wifi in the lobby,however you only get a certain amount of time on it before your have to pay.
The beach is on the door step and it's quite a quiet part of the beach so you can relax without listening to the screaming kids in the pool.
Even tho the reception staff did annoy us on the first day the staff were friendly and always had a smile on there face always received a 'morning' before going to breakfast
The grounds and the hotel in general was kept very clean did not see any litter for the 3 night we stayed.
Overall I would recommend this hotel if you are staying for a short period of time and with children, I would not recommend for couples.

Stayed August 2012
Norristown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I traveled to South Beach during the memorial day week end and wanted to book a hotel in SoBe but away from all the craziness on the south beach(Its urban beach festival which is known for its crazy hip hop crowd) . I selected the hotel because of its location. Its located on the 31st street, a quieter place in SoBe, but quite close to all the night life in Washington/Ocean drives.
Customer service : I reached the hotel at 12:30 AM since my flight was delayed. The front desk staff was courteous and we completed the check in, in 5 minutes. The valet parking was 22$/night which is quite a norm in South beach. The staffs in the restaurant, alligator bar, beach were courteous and very friendly.
Rooms : I wouldn't call the rooms out dated, but its neither modern. Looks like it was an old room and the hotel has done good job in making it look modern. The toilets were neat. Now the best part , the view! The view from the balcony was out of the word. There is a small balcony for the room where you can enjoy the beach view.

Food : The break fast was excellent. Rather the best breakfast I ever had in a hotel. They have a buffet for 17$ and offers various breakfast items and live stations. I even got up early just to have this breakfast ;-) ( I get up pretty late on vacations) . We had dinner also from the restaurant. It was okay for 23$ buffet, but not comparable to breakfast quality.

Pool and beach access : The hotel has a very nice pool. Even though I haven't used the pool, I could see people enjoying the pool. The pool bar(alligator bar) is also pretty nice. The hotel has direct access to beach and you can rent umbrella and chairs for 25$/day.

Over all it was a nice stay and I would recommend this hotel to anyone who visit SoBe and wanted to have a quieter time(If you are a party animal go south ! )

Room Tip: It goes with out saying. Select a beach facing room. They have beach facing as well as street facing...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank sankaran P
WBury
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Visited with my Wife to celebrate our wedding anniversary and found he Hotel to be very friendly and in an excellent location. Very good choice with everything you could imagine for breakfast and evening meal was good value @ $23 per person and has a different theme for its show cooking everyday ranging from Italian to Mexican. All the Staff were very helpful and were only too pleased to be able to do something for you.
We had a problem one day with the room safe not opening, but on reporting to reception was fixed within 10 minutes. Looking forward to returning one day.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Me and my husband stayed here for 5 nights. After reading past reviews I wasn't expecting much but as we first walked into the lobby we was very surprised. The room was a much better surprise, we had a view of the pool and sea and a massive balcony and the room was big too with a king size bed that could fit 3 people in. The hotel was right opposite the beach and was secure as you needed your room key to get back into the pool area from the beach. It was about a 15 minute walk to Ocean Drive, but on a night we got a taxi. I would definitely recommend going to Lincoln Road for shopping and eating out. We only ate in the hotel for breakfast and lunch which was fine for what we wanted.
We started our trip before Miami by staying in Orlando and my husband had drove down to Miami from there and it was so easy. I would recommend downloading USA maps onto your sat nav rather than renting one with your car rental as it got us everywhere we wanted to be.

Room Tip: Ask for a king size bed and quiet room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 7, 2013

On the site of a glorious hotel from the 60`s. Its on Collins Ave, but a mile or so from the action. Thats not a bad thing, The rates are good for Miami beach and the breakfast buffet is quite good . Its on the ocean and has a fine pool area. The interior needs updating. I`d return and have.

Room Tip: Face the ocean
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BigoBoca
Bram[pton
Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

Great location! $35 taxi ride from the port of Miami.
Check in was easy. They only have rooms with TWO beds, no queen or king for couples - weird. The rooms had a terrible and overwhelming air freshener scent - we had to open the windows.
The grounds are beautiful, pool is perfect degree in temp. We only ate at the alligator bar, reasonable prices for drink and food.
The hotel is right on southbeach, you can rent beach chairs & umbrellas. We walked the boardwalk to Ocean Drive.
One major downside, the rooms are not insulated. You can hear people taking, walking above you, I expected better. But would return.

• Stayed April 2013