“Beautiful Resort - Perfect Location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
15% DISCOUNT
Ranked #116 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Toronto, Canada
“Beautiful Resort - Perfect Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed at the Riu myself and 3 other girls for 3 nights. The staff was very friendly and helpful when we arrived and were able to get us adjoining rooms. Property was in a great location, (minus construction being done next door) just bring an ipod/speaker dock on the beach and you won't even notice. Beach was beautiful, they charge for chairs but towels are free so we laid on them and didn't even need the chairs. Rooms were comfortable and spacious, a little outdated but you are rarely in your room to even care. Buffet breakfast and dinner were good, standard food you would find if you were to stay at an all inclusive resort. Only ate breakfast and dinner at the buffet once so don't know if it changes everyday. For lunch the snack bar at the pool has good food and the most friendly staff, they also make great drinks. Liquor store is walking distance right down the street and nightlife is no more than $10 to $15 cab ride away. LIV the club is also around the corner at the Fountainebleu. At checkout they give you a room to store your luggage if you have a late flight, and also a shower room to use before you leave. Overall the experience was great, would definitly go back to that hotel if I was getting a flight/hotel package.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

lake district
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Riu for 12 nights in February, on arrival the hotel looks fine and the foyer is quite impressive.

Check in was a breeze and the staff were excellent and couldn't have been more helpful...but i'm afraid thats where the excellents seems to end.

our room was on the eighth floor so off to the lifts we went, I had to laugh at the speed of the lifts during the holiday i even managed to beat them down from the eighth floor and i'm an overweight coach potato, the corridor on our floor was horrendous and i must admit my stomach lurched at the thought of our room.
it looked as though it had been painted 20 years ago, there were repairs to holes in the walls that any self respecting diyer would have been appalled at and the doors looked like someone had been tapping paint off them with a hammer.

The room itself was ok, although there was a funny musty smell that you just couldn't get rid of and the air con was the loudest i'd ever heard no way we could leave it on when we were in the room but it was clean.

we had a deal that gave us the buffet breakfast and this was more than adequate and there was always room to sit. We did eat in the restaurant on a few occasions and the food was good if a little over priced.

the pool area is ok and the beach is just across the boardwalk which was lovely.

I could go on but all in all the hotel served it's purpose but is in dire need of a revamp, there is no way that it is 4* I would say a lot closer to 2*

would i go to Miami again yes most definately, would i stay at the Riu no, unless it was totally revamped.

2 Thank oilster
South Plainfield, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

The Hotel is rather dated in appearance. It makes candid attempts to be a full service hotel with entertainment (which was glorified karaoke). The bartender made me wait over 15 minutes while he joked with some patrons.
You can't get a cup of coffee in the morning unless it is room service-or you buy the full buffet.
The valets were polite, helpful and friendly.
The front desk help was inexperienced and unprofessional.
The walls on the rooms are thin. We were tortured with two different families with infants that cried several times in the night. Need I say I left the hotel tired? I called the front desk the first night with my concern, but they couldn't move me.
I had cold weather in my visit, in the 50's-yet, they wouldn't heat the pool. Geez, I flew all that way and never even got in the pool :(.
All in all, after paying over $225 per night, I feel very ripped off.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank SmilingNJGirl

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Newport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We arrived at 6.30am in the morning from L.A. check in was 4pm, but they kindly got us a room at 8.40am, so we could have a sleep and start our day which was great of them. The room was good size and very clean and comfortable, the hotel was lovely, the pool etc, staff were quite friendly, coffee in the room no tea bags and they would not give us any, we don't drink coffee, we had tea at breakfast time, after that we had to buy a cup of tea at the bar in the lounge. Lovely walk along the board walk down to Ocean Drive art deco area, very safe, the beach is right outside the back gate of the hotel, all tours were available in the hotel.

1 Thank Sandra J
West Midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

For the life of me I cannot understand there being negative comments about this hotel,unless they are absulute perfectionists
We stayed at this hotel for 12 days in Feb 2013,we had a standard room which was clean,spacious and nicely decorated.The breakfast and dinner buffett were excellent,a good choice and a high standard.Marceleno cooking fried eggs and omelette perfect every time,cheaper than most restaurants as well .The pool area is very nice,and though the pool isn't massive we found it plenty big enough.
All the staff we came in contact with were friendly and helpful.
We would certainly stay there again

2 Thank Frankie7319
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My wife and me arrived at the hotel the valet parking staff were very nice people, they explained us the rate for the service and kindly help us with our luggage. Then we got in the hotel and a super friendly and smiley staff received us jennifer beautiful smile and very nice girl, laz, jonathan very fun personnel. we got a beautiful room. We just love our experience there. Alex at the bar was incredible. I would definitely recommend. The buffet breakfast very good and a good price also, very close from the hot spots.

• Stayed February 2013
Johnstown, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

My adult daughter and I just returned from a week at the Riu Miami Beach. At the Riu, it is much about how much money they can make from their guests. There are hundreds of hotels, condos and apartments available from which to choose. Do your research.

Our observations:

1. Front desk staff are very rude, condescending and arrogant. Despite my confirmed voucher for an oceanfront room, the clerk argued with me until I insisted she actually LOOK at the voucher. Even then no apology. Other questions poorly answered, ignored, or incorrect responses provided.
2. Mandatory $20 per day valet fee, plus numerous signs at the valet desk stating "gratuities are appreciated." It took from 2 to 20 minutes to bring the car around.
3. $12 per day for Wi-Fi, when most other hotels now provide this service as part of the room cost. And the Wi-Fi is quite unreliable.
4. Pool area is pretty, but small. One towel limit per guest.
5. Room was adequate only, mini fridge had no temp controls and water dripped into food containers.
6. No washcloths?
7. Chambermaids were pleasant and made up room quickly once we departed in the morning.
8. Fee for use of business services computers and printer to print boarding passes. Otherwise, you must e-mail your boarding pass to the front desk and then wait until thy have time to print it for you.
9. Two small elevators, side-by-side, are inadequate for a hotel of this size.
10. I have sent an email message with my concerns to the General Manager (2.22.13) and have yet to receive a reply.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.