“CAUTION!!!”

New York City, New York
“CAUTION!!!”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed at hotel from 1/18-1/21/13, our experience was less than favorable-
* shortage of hotel towels
* staff are fanatical to the 90 minutes allowed per day (in this day and age simply ridicilious
*concierge misinformed us of a tour we booked and paid for a double decker open top tour bus
and instead were cramped into a mini van tour bus. I informed the driver who promply called the
RIU I spoke with the concierge who offered a $20 refund. We were totally dissatisfied with the
come.
* Neighboring hotel undergoing construction, we were not advised at time of reservation, the
beach experience was a complete disappointment- major construction noise.
* We literally had to pay $25.00 for the use of two chairs and an umbrella, again an
unexpected expense.
* valet parking is a disaster, my rental car was dented and scratched. To my surprise no staff
member had any knowledge whatsoever.
NOTE- My name is Mike Hernandez and I can be reached at 1 347 712 6963- I would not
recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank mikehernandez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I had heard the RIU was a top hotel brand but clearly I was steered in the wrong direction or this was just the red headed stepchild of the family.

The lobby is really big but they aren't utilizing the space to the best that it can. The check in counter is tiny and long lines of ppl are always waiting for something. The pool is pretty tiny but that's fine. The room looked nice (purple accents...my fave color) but the bathroom is so outdated and dank. There were stains in the tub which I didn't really appreciate. The ceiling was leaking and dripping through the night so we requested a new room. They couldn't do it when we came back that night so we had to wait until the next day. We asked to be upgraded to an ocean view which they did. That was nice. The housekeeping staff was slow to bring our towels which was annoying. We called after hours for the towels but apparently there's not enough staff so they couldn't bring us anything. Very disappointing!

No complimentary waters, no ice bucket, hard to get a hold of. Not sure it was worth the price.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Hoffman Estates, Illinois
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Went here on a girl trip, and had a wonderful time! You can walk over to the bar down by the pool where you can get burgers and other goodies and large drinks (or you can wait for a server to take your order as you lay on a chaise lounge). Our room was the best, and we would leave the sliding door open at night so we could hear the waves after cocktails on our balcony. Were able to walk along the path to other hotels and restaurants. Most of the people staying there during our trip spoke French, German, etc., so we felt like we were in Europe! The only negatives were having to use a fee-based printer to print our boarding passes, the fee for renting chaise lounges to take over to the ocean, and the fact that the staff at the front desk seemed to be in no hurry when we needed help with something.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ForTheUnderdog
United States
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We arrived before check-in time but the desk staff tried to get us into a room ASAP. The only problem was the way they went about it: At first they told us it would be a half-hour and then when I checked again, they said it would be 20 minutes. It would have been better if they had just said an hour to begin with. Moreover, the oceanfront room I booked (on Expedia) technically was not oceanfront since it faced a construction site (although I certainly had a view of the ocean from the balcony). There was only one wash cloth in the bathroom. Since we were a party of three, I called the front desk and asked for two more but they were never delivered. When I walked out to the beach, there was no one at the towel booth, there was no one doling out towels, so I grabbed one myself. All of these things were no big deal. One of my party lost her pool card which, according to the desk gal, I should have been charged $20 (because it meant I didn't return a towel) but she was very understanding and said she knew I didn't steal a towel: So, the service wasn't all bad.

Blacksburg, VA
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The lobby was beautiful, the grounds were gorgeous. The hotel is right on the beach and right on the board walk! While it is ~1.4 mile to the heart of South beach it is still a very comfortable walk and just takes ~20-30 minutes to walk down to the heart of South beach. But it is far enough away that it provides a quiet peaceful place to get away from the action. Another great thing about this location is the hop-on, hop-off red bus tour has a stop literally right in front of the RIU hotel. The front desk and valet parking were very friendly.

Internet - I paid $20 for three days in room wireless internet, but in the lobby you get 90 minutes free.

Parking was a bit pricey $20 per day, but most parking is kind of pricey down in this area.
The breakfast buffet was nice, but also pricey ~$13 per person.

The rooms were nice, a little dated, but clean and the beds were comfortable. The rooms have new flat screen TVs with a fair amount of channels.

The pool and pool area was nice though I wish they had a hot tub (no hot tub at this hotel) and I wish they had beach lounge chairs available for their guests.

Overall this is a good choice if the price is right. We got ocean front rooms for $140 and standard rooms for $120 and I think that's about right/appropriate.

TIP – I recommend booking a tour on the hop on, hop off double deck tour bus. It is great, you can get vouchers at the concierge and the stop is right in front of the RIU hotel.

Room Tip: Big Bus tours of Miami has two routes. 1 - Miami Beach & 2 - Maimi City. This is a GREAT tour, a...
2 Thank tylerrd
Sammamish, Washington
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We will not stay at this hotel ever again, even at a different location. No more RIU. The rooms smell so bad, it has ants in the bathroom, there are stains in the bath tub. I complained to the front desk, and they would not change my room until the next day. The next day, nothing happened we had to complain again to get the room change. Customer service at the front desk was rude. We had young kids, and requested a non smoking room. They put us in a smoking room. The smell is, of course, horrible. Also, we asked for couple plastic folks for our to-go food. Guess what? No help from the hotel customer service. Instead they asked us go to the puny gift shop to pay $0.25 each utensil. Unbelievable... it was a waste of money, and it ruined our trip!

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel and you wont have to worry about a good room.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 25, 2012

The only thing remarkable about this hotel is that it somehow continues to stay in business. Even at $129 per night, it is a bad deal. Smells, rude staff, no hot tub in pool area, no heat in rooms along with many other problems. It would be interesting to know if they have any repeat business.

• Stayed December 2012