“Good Hotel Overall”

Ranked #91 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Key West, Florida
“Good Hotel Overall”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here for our anniversary. It was an overall nice stay. They have redone the rooms recently and replaced minor things like paintings and duvet covers. The bathrooms need to be renovated- but have great water pressure! We had a room with a balcony facing the ocean- the view was GREAT! The hotel room itself was very clean and comfortable- but was very loud. You could hear people walking down the hallway. The front desk staff is really nice and helpful. The pool bar staff were so-so, it seems like they were more interested in the spanish tv playing than actually waiting on guests. Both the bartenders in the lobby bar were really nice and helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Just back from Riu and really enjoyed our stay. Good points: very clean hotel, rooms, reception area and pool area. Had breakfast buffet each day which was excellent, plenty of choice (only downside is the toasters, very slow). Housekeeping very pleasant. Lovely location right across the boardwalk from the beach and a nice walk up the boardwalk to Lincoln road. Bus stops right outside riu when heading back from Lincoln road and going to aventura mall.

Bad points:
Hotel charges 1 dollar for each suitcase if you need to store it, check in is late 4pm however they did give us our room at 2. Reception staff don't speak much English so very hard to communicate with them. On our last day we arranged with the concierge for a large taxi for 4, I explained we had 4 cases and a bike box. I was advised the rate was 42 dollars which I felt was fine. When we were called for the taxi we discovered they had arranged for us to share the taxi with another couple who had 2 cases. We eventually managed to fit everything in however very unhappy with the concierge. My husband tried to explain to reception but no help at all. Also when we arrived reception gave me a key and when I went to use it the room was already occupied, no explanation or apology from reception.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nugget1979
Knoxville, Tn
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Riu Florida hotel leaves nothing to chance. We advised maid service we did not need room service one day. That evening we received a note slid under door telling us we could still get room service or any service needed
On our last day, we had a 9pm flight out of Miami but wanted to spend afternoon at pool and beach. We checked out at checkout deadline of noon The hotel provided us a complimentary room to take a shower and clean up after our day at the pool. They do this for every guest that request it

Overall the staff went above and beyond at every step. It is a very nice comfortable hotel that is older but remodeled in the past year and now is very up to date.

Cleanliness was exceptional by Miami Beach standards. The restaurant buffet quality is great and unlimited. However we are not big eaters so for us it was a little expensive but there are unlimited eating options in Miami Beach

The only shortcoming you may experience is that there is limited English. The staff can speak English but it appears as second language for all The guests were almost completely South American and European so not much English spoken

• Stayed October 2012
Florida, New York
Reviewed October 14, 2012

need some entertainment in lobby, need to make gift shop larger would have more customers. Also need water spicket for when you come back from the beach.Could increase the menu with more meat and amenites, need to put more coffe and tea and sugar in rooms

Room Tip: choose rooms on the lower floors we were on the smoking floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank christine_h742
Rugby
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Firstly, Reception Staff at the Front Desk were incredibly friendly and helpful, this followed throughout the hotel with all the staff. We stayed in a standard room (apparently the only standard with a balcony and ocean view). First thing that hit us was the smell in the room, it smelt damp and we think it was the aircon unit. We were too tired after long haul flight to complain. The room was ok but far from luxourious, it did us for 2 nights but had my stay been any longer I would have complained. Breakfast was nice and the 1 dinner we had in the hotel was also just ok. Plenty of choice from the buffet and something for everyone. I wouldnt stay here again, I was disappointed because I have had better stays in RIU hotels.

Room Tip: Try and book your room a higher grade from standard, you may find these better quality.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed here over the past weekend for the first 2 nights of my 6 days Miami/ South Beach trip. Originally I wanted to stay in South Beach for the entire trip, but since carnival was happening through Columbus Day and I wanted a place that was not in middle of the things as not to repeat my experience with crowds during a Memorial Day weekend in South Beach. So RIU was in a location that is just about 8 blocks outside South Beach (I thinks South Beach ends at around 23rd St, maybe?). So on the day of my arrival, I noticed the scene was getting less and less hectic as I approached the hotel traveling up on Collins which is exactly what I had hoped for. It would not be a bad walk on a nice day (maybe 45 minutes to South Beach?), but unfortunately we had rainy days and did not have an umbrella.

The check in process was ok, took a little bit time because the front desk staff seemed to be new. I had requested a higher floor which they honored, and we got a standard room on the 7th floor with partial view of the ocean which was great. The room was very modern and clean. There were some tiny spots on the bathroom floor that seemed like someone might've walked on wet floor with dirty shoes. We didn't mind it too much since we were not planning on walking bare footed on the bathroom floor. You can walk right onto the beach from the back of the hotel. Though no free beach chairs or umbrella from the hotel, they do offer you beach towels. The rental guy on the beach offers hotel clients a "deal": $25 for 2 chairs and an umbrella. Staff was great throughout the entire stay, from front desk staff to the Florida bar in the lobby.

Overall a good experience with a few exceptions. First, the walls were VERY thin. We had a loud mouth neighbor who also had a few other loud mouth friends visiting his room extensively. I heard all his phone convo's and crass language loud and clear, and was woken up early in the morning when my neighbor's friends came to get him. Sounded like they were a group that was booked in a few different rooms and constantly congregated in my neighbor's room. Next, the hotel is a bit out of the way. Though I didn't want to be in middle of the actions for the weekend, I found it a bit unsafe to walk back from the bars down Collins Ave late at night especially btwn 23rd and maybe 30th. Random people popped up asking for money while we were walking back to the hotel around midnight. There is also not a lot of food options around. There are a few places nearby, but when we were starving at midnight in the hotel room on Sunday night, we realized the limitation of the location. I would definitely stay here again, for the quality of the room, the service, as well as ease of access to the ocean, but I think I would have to have a car the next time I stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from any group so you wouldn't hear the noise owing to thin walls, when the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lan_in_NYC
Davie, Florida
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We got a free stay at te RIU in miami so we figured we would have a nice romantic staycation. Well we got to the hotel and hardly anyone spoke english. Mind you we are in america! i coudlnt' even read the things i was signing b/c it was all in spanish and this is not ok in my own state and country. The service at the front desk was just ok. I would ask questions and they would jsut look at me and give me the shortest answer. We had asked for a king bed and at the desk they said nothing to us. When we got to our room it was 2 doubles so we called down and they said there is not one room in the hotel with a king bed. I find that hard to belive. The beds were so soft they hurt my back. The hotel was just falling apart. The buffet dinner was inculded in our stay but was not very good. It is normally $28, which is not worth it at all. Just go somewhere else for a good meal. The breakfast was your very basic but so busy and they alwasy ran out of things inculcding water. I had asked for ketchup and the waitress brouught me an almost gone one and said if i needed more i had to go get up and get it. Which i thought was very rude. The wait staff at night was very slow. I would have to ask a few times just to get my water refilled.
For the price of this hotel you can find a better hotel that will have nice staff and much more cozy and cleaner. This was our second time at an RIU and again was not happy with it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple