“Marvellous two weeks at the Savoy!” 5 of 5 stars

The Savoy Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   425 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #59 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Toronto, Canada
“Marvellous two weeks at the Savoy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband and I have just returned on February 15, 2013, from a marvelous two weeks’ – yes two weeks! – stay at the Savoy Hotel. We’ve been to South Beach many times before and have stayed at the Marriot and at the Doubletree, but for us, finding the Savoy was like discovering a precious little jewel and we’ll probably be back there again next year. I’m a little bit reluctant to write about it because I’m afraid it might become an “in” kind of place and become very popular, making it difficult to get a reservation, but I feel after these few years, I should let people know what it’s like. It’s a small, older, boutique hotel, only three floors high with about eighty rooms, a departure from the monumental mass-tourism kinds of place one sees all over Miami these days. Even when it is at maximum capacity – which according to the staff happened a few times during our stay – it didn’t seem at all busy and was fairly quiet. Invariably, we’ve found the staff – from those on the front desk to those cleaning the rooms – to be very helpful and friendly and very responsive to us whenever we asked for anything, such as extra shampoo or toilet paper. I especially liked the room they assigned us this year – an ocean view with a balcony overlooking the pool. With large opening windows, in the early part of the day it was bright, airy and cheerful and with the sun streaming in there was an outdoor feeling to the place. All the rooms have refrigerators and microwaves, which we found very useful. The hotel has a fitness center which always seemed to be under-used whenever we looked in, but if you like swimming – which we do -- it’s ideal for that. There are two swimming pools – a smaller one and by far the most popular, heated, that seemed to be frequented mainly by families with children – and a larger one which we used about twice a day -- unheated but comfortable, about twenty-five yards long that we enjoyed very much after our walk every morning. It’s a great place to hang out and have a drink, ordered from Rocky the indefatigable and always charming pool attendant.

We’ll be back there again next year, if they have the space.

Jess

Room Tip: All the rooms are different. We like the second or third floor, ocean view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
St. Paul, MN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

About the same cost as the Surfcomber, but worlds apart in amenities, service and overall quality. This hotel is nicely situated to the heart of the nightlife of Miami Beach without all of the traffic noise you would expect, but that is as far as I will go with being complimentary. The hotel is old appearing and feeling. The room was dirty. I don't think the bathroom floor had been mopped in over a week. The airconditioner was leaking water into the closet and the floor was wet when we got there and was still wet when we checked out. The front desk staff was also rude. The 4PM check-in is also a joke. Spend the same amount at the Surfcomber or a little more to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank traveler55117
TheSavoyHotelCares, Director of Sales at The Savoy Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Hello from the Savoy Hotel!

Thank you for taking the time to describe your comments on Trip Advisor. We find all types of feedback as opportunities and will certainly address your maintenance concerns.

We are glad you liked our location, and most importantly we would like to ask you to give us another chance to exceed your expectations. You can contact me directly and I will personally handle your reservations.

Yours in Hospitality,
Hanover, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

This hotel is the one that most of us dare to dream of when we fantasize about a tropical paradise. And yet the location couldn't be better for easy access to all the fun that South Beach has to offer.
To put it simply, the Savoy offers serene elegance amid an otherwise bustling ocean front resort. Their large rooms are fully equipped, several with kitchenettes and balconies, and for someone who has trouble sleeping in general, this gem is the perfect cocoon.
The pool area is renowned for its temple-like ambiance with both a heated and non-heated pool, enticing cabanas, and cheerful restaurant service. A well equipped fitness center is also conveniently located poolside next to the beach entrance . . and need I mention how gorgeous the beach is?
This delightful oasis was definitely "Paradise Found"!

Room Tip: Though the hotel is surprisingly quiet for it's proximity to Ocean Drive, it's still worth a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LizzieGee57
Warm Greetings from South Beach!

We are ecstatic that we were able to fulfill your fantasy of a tropical paradise! We truly are a hotel that you can enjoy calm, serenity & relaxation, yet still be in the middle of everything South Beach has to offer.

Now that you've found us, we look very forward to welcoming you back time and time again!

Take care,
Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We stayed at The Savoy Hotel January 24th for two nights and really liked it. It's right on South Beach which is beautiful and has two pools- one that is heated. The employees were very friendly and we ate lunch at the restaurant located on the property and it was excellent. There are tons of restaurants and bars all within walking distance. The room was clean and comfortable. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank dairycorner
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I had an amazing stay at the savoy hotel !! Being that I've been to south beach 1000x this by far was one of my top stays at a hotel in south beach. I loved that it was close enough to everything but yet just enough away from the hustle and bustle of ocean drive. Everything was great. The food was good. The room was clean. Mary at the front desk was extremely helpful and accommodating. Carlos the manger was great . He helped me and my pregnant friend get into our room a little earlier then check in. It was very kind of him considering how she was exhausted from traveling. Bernie was amazing in the restaurant. She was very accommodating :) she makes the best iced latte :) rocky was very friendly and helpful by the pool. He was also very accommodating. Bringing us Iced water , towels and just checking on us to see if we needed anything :) I have to say with a staff like that you can't go wrong !! Their was another waitress that I can't remember her name that brought the food to beach and pool. she was also like everyone else very nice and accommodating . Even the manger in the restaurant was very professional , kind and accommodating . Asking my friend and I every day how we were doing and if we needed anything . Mary , Bernie and rocky along with mostly the rest of the staff are all extremely professional , accommodating , friendly and genuinely kind which makes a world of a difference ! The only complaint I have is that two days out of my six I had another waiter at the restaurant his name was cian. It's not that he was unfriendly but when I asked for a iced latte like I did every day before he told me " He won't do that " ! All it took was ice and chocolate syrup .. : / I was surprised to be spoken to like that . I thought the customer was always right ;) it really
Wasn't that crazy of request. The next day he was my waiter as well . I made the same request again . He told me NO! Then He eventually unwillingly attempted to make me something that tasted awful !! Other then that I don't have a single complaint .. Everyone was extremely friendly and nice. I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone I know. When I go back to south beach I will be booking the savoy again :) I was very pleased with everything they had to offer. The price was great considering they have so much to offer. Also I was very impressed with the fendi decor in the lobby ;) being a fashionista like myself i had a great appreciation for it :)

• Stayed February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
TheSavoyHotelCares, Director of Sales at The Savoy Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Andrea Lynne,

Thank you very much for your review and the time you took to write such details for others to see.

We are very proud of our staff and have constantly been praised for our excellent guest service. If we may say so, we have some of the very best team members on this beach!

I do apologize for the associate that did not live up to our service standards - this feedback will be passed on to the appropriate parties.

We can't wait to have you back!

Yours in Hospitality,
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This hotel is in a great location, on the beach and just steps from Ocean Drive. The pools are well maintained and all the staff I encountered were welcoming and friendly. The rooms are very large and the property is spotless. My only complaints were the furnishings in my room appeared tired and the hot water supply was questionable. I also did not like paying a resort fee at check-out when I prepaid for the entire room in advance.

Room Tip: ASk for a pool or ocean view - those rooms have balconys.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Arthur211
Savage, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I wish we had more time to enjoy the Beach and Pool area but we were busy exploring South Beach. A very nice set-up on the beach with chairs and umbrellas for the guests. The pool area was very nice but by the time we got back after a day of exploring the shade was over most of it. That's alright as we were not there to sun bathe. Had we wanted to it was a very nice, sizable and clean pool area. Food was also good right there. Bar service too - that's a plus. Clean room, no issues. We stayed in the second floor, front of the hotel, overlooking Ocean Drive and no complaints of noise as you are at the south end of the busy district.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple