“Nice hotel in south beach”
Review of The Savoy Hotel

The Savoy Hotel
Ranked #32 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

Nice hotel in a good location. The gentleman working at reception (Ricardo?) was helpful and great pools. Our air conditioning went out on our second day of staying at the hotel, and right away we were upgraded to a beautiful suite with georgeous views of the beach. Good location for kids as it is at the quieter end of ocean drive and right by the beach.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Stoopidscreenname

Reviewed August 18, 2012

The location of the Savoy is great. It is far enough away from most of the din of Ocean Drive but close enough to walk to the key spots such as Lincoln Rd, etc. Being right on the beach was awesome and we enjoyed the beach chairs and umbrella that came with the room. The hotel overall is comfortable but needs updating. We had a good size room with three balconies and a pull out couch which made it the perfect size for the four of us. We had a couple of door knobs/locks that didn't work right and had to fix the shower handle with my Swiss Army Knife. While there is a kitchen area, there are not cooking utensils or kitchen equipment. We called to ask for some and all they had was silverware. That was fine as we ate most of our dinners out but it would have been nice to be able to have things for cereal and lunches. We bought some paper bowls for Walgreens a block away so it worked. The pool area was fun with two pools, the kids liked playing there. Pools could use a deep cleaning along the tile along the waterline.

The staff was very helpful and accommodating throughout the visit. Our rate came with breakfast which was slow and unremarkable. It came with a croissant, a couple of pieces of white bread, a bit of fruit and orange juice. We only went there one of the days we were there.

We had a nice time and the location was great.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Well, we just arrived and we are already in our cabana, poolside.  We couldn't wait!  Lol!  But to circle back, we were immediately greeted and helped by a very friendly bellman and front desk mgr, who managed to find us a room despite our early (9am) check in. The lobby was well appointed.  This is an historic hotel that still looks great!  They've added some modern renovations, but still kept the charm of the original structure.  I was pleasantly surprised by how nice the room was, with a separate sitting area, pull-out sofa, full kitchen, less the stove, and a cute little 4 person dining room table.  The separate bedroom was comfortable and airy, with the adjacent full bath, also nicely appointed with cute little amenities.  The hotel restaurant is open from 7am-8pm, and is reasonably priced for a prime south beach location.  The hotel had two beautiful pools with surrounding cabanas and a full time pool attendant named Rocky who is super attentive and makes a mean strawberry mojito.  Thank you Rocky!  You are awesome!   I have an 8 yr old with me, and although there aren't many kids here, they still make us feel welcome.  It's perfect for families or not. The hotel has a private portion of the beach, that's just a few steps away.  I'm a Hotwire fan, and was very fortunate this hotel came up after I pressed the purchase button.  I'm so pleased with this choice.  It's s fantastic hotel!  If I can afford it the next time I'm in town, I'll be sure to make this my first choice for South Beach.  I know what the other reviews say, but in my opinion, this place is perfectt!!!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My wife and I just spent three wonderful days in South Beach, and one of the nicest aspects of the trip was our room at the Savoy Hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful. The grounds were beautiful with two great swimming pools, and our room was off the scale. We had a third floor suite with three terraces, and views of the pool and the ocean. It was decorated beautifully and couldn't have been nicer. The beach was only a few steps from the hotel where umbrella's and lounge chairs were provided. We made and agreement on the way to the airport that we would always stay at the Savoy when we came to Miami.

Room Tip: The hotel was very quiet which made for a good nights sleep. We can only speak for the upper level c...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Such nice reviews. I feel like "that person" for writing a negative review. You know the person, nothing pleases her, she's snobby, and just wayyyyy to picky. I promise, I am not that person. I just thought the Savoy was...lacking. Maybe they put me in the "off" rooms. Let us begin:
The way my lips puckered up in a moue of distaste after my first look at the shabby-so not worth 3 stars- hotel pretty much sums up my Savoy experience.
Onwards...
We check in. Lobby was nice. Front desk person could not be nicer (hence the extra star). We checked in early and thought we would have to beg the staff to hold our luggage until check-in, which was hours away. Nope. The woman who checked us in (I forget her name but we checked in around 12p on 8/2) was great! One of two rooms was ready and she allowed us to check in. There was also ice cold water in the lobby, nice touch on a hot summer day in Miami.
We enter room 1 after a seamless check-in. First impression: Blah. Looked nothing like the picture. This was a "suite" but resembled a regular hotel room that was turned into a suite. Very small and just run the hell down. When we entered, there was a door that led to a short hallway that led to another door that led to another room. Said doors did not look secure. The door knob was hanging off and had no visible look. Apparently, it was safe. I could turn the knob from my room but not if I was in the quasi-hallway. Slightly mollified, but not by much. It's Miami Beach, live a little. I guess.
Living room was fine. It overlooked the pool (which I did enjoy). The TV was very retro. You know, one those bulky, circa 1990-something, pre-flat screen type of tv. Maybe I am snobby.....Bedroom was fine and had a flat screen tv.
To el bano. Neat and noticeably clean but upon closer inspection, I thought to myself, wtf????? Our toilet paper holder was kinda hanging there since 3 of the 4 screws needed to hold it in place was missing. Odd. Toilet bowl seat was also broken. While using it, I felt the seat and my butt slowly sliding off. Thought it was me but roomie felt the same. Almost felt like I was home. You know what I mean; when the screws come loose on the seat and you keep trying to remember to fix it but never do, until it eventually falls off. Come on Savoy...These are easy routine maintenance that cost the bare minimum to fix. Hell, I would have fixed the crap if I had a screw driver. Do you know how weird it feels to have your butt feel like its about to slide completely off of the toilet bowl seat? VERY WEIRD!!!
So that was room 1. Now to room 2. Bigger and actually looked like the website picture (somewhat). A LOT of closets. Most of which had boiler rooms and other weird maintenance crap in there. I'm on vacation, I don't want to see that crap. Lock the doors. Geesh!
That was the rooms. Now the hallway. Super gross! Smelled like mildew, wet cat, and your neighborhood shady motel rolled into one. It as by far the worst thing about the hotel.
The Savoy also had a pricey restaurant where the food tasted no better than dinner food. The drinks were worse.
Overall, I would never return to this hotel which was really no more than a motel.
First star because I know there is worse in Miami and the next star because of the front desk person.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the second floor. Smells like wet moldy carpet
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Sophia F
Reviewed August 14, 2012

This hotel is great. Rooms are big, nice, clean. We had a suite looking to ocean and even had 3 balconies!! Very good overall. Staff is very nice, always looking for your comfort. (specially at the pool, thanks Rocky !). Even being located at Ocean drive, this place is very quiet, relaxing. Has private exit to beach. Only be aware to leave important items like id,credit cards,electronics inside safe in room.I got my purse stolen with all documents, and electronics!!! from pool area. However traumatic this was, the General manager(Gary) and all staff were very helpful and supportive. We even got discount at the end. Definitely recommend this hotel and for sure be back!

Room Tip: Ask ocean view. Very nice
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Leizla K
TheSavoyHotelCares, Director of Sales at The Savoy Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Dear Leizla,

We are so glad that you and your family enjoyed a relaxing holiday here at The Savoy Hotel. Also, thanks for the great compliments of Gary's service to you after your items were lost. When travelling, it's always a good idea to leave valuables in the guestroom safe rather than leaving them unattended in a public area.

We certainly hope to welcome you back once again so you can have a fantastic stay here at The Savoy Hotel.

Yours in Hospitality,
Francine - Director of Sales

Reviewed August 11, 2012

Our stay at the Savoy can only be described as perfect. Every employee was super friendly, over the top accommodating and happy to be there! The pool area was absolutely beautiful!!! We spent so much time lounging in the cabana and floating in the pool - true paradise! The rooms were super clean and so spacious - separate kitchen and living room areas & 2 balconies! :) The Savoy was everything they advertised to be. There was no problems at all with any of the things that can come along with staying at a hotel such as: charges on the bill, checking in early and checking out late. We couldn't have asked for a better location, right on the beach and walking distance to everything! I highly recommend staying at this hotel!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a pool or ocean view from the balcony!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple