“Perfect for a beach/party winter escape”
Review of Whitelaw Hotel

Whitelaw Hotel
Ranked #64 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed January 5, 2010

I come to South Beach pretty much every Christmas so I may be able to put this in some perspective. One has to keep in mind that in South Beach, each hotel caters to a specific crowd of travellers, and you are bound for disappointment if you pick one that does not suit you.

Whitelaw (and pretty much all the southbeachgroup hotels on this block) is a party hotel that is suitable for younger, relaxed party crowd looking for superbly convenient location (to beach, club, shops) and reasonably low price. You are paying for neither an upscale beach side resort nor a sophisticated business hotel. This is a pad for you to cool your jets, grab a couple of drinks between hours laying on the beach and going out to dinner/partying later in the evening.

The room are clean and of reasonable size. The staff (both front desk and housekeeping) were always helpful when asked. As someone said below, be nice to the staff and they will be nice to you.

Call me crazy, but compare to the prices you pay at other hotels in the same few blocks, you are getting a really good deal. To the frequent noise complaint on this board, there is a simple solution: ask for a room not on the first floor!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank BoywonderTo
CindyGM, General Manager at Whitelaw Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2010

Dear Boy Wonder,

I appreciate your kind words. Thank you for the very generous "reporting" style of review, I believe that you are accurate!

If you plan to return to Miami, please let me know so that we can accommodate you.... We want more Positive Feedback!!!

All the best,

Cindy Hunsaker

Reviewed January 2, 2010

This hotel was a good price so close to the beach, restaurants, and shops. We booked it because of the photos of the over-the-top rooms pictured on the website and were not disappointed. The rooms were on the small side, but every bit as pink and graffitied as pictured. From the outside, most other hotels appeared to be similar. Our room was on the third floor, so we had no problem with the loud music in the lounge that could be an issue if your room was on the first floor and you were attempting to go to bed anytime before the early morning hours. We had some trouble turning off the freezing air conditioning the first night, but we figured it out the second. A perfect place to stay if you plan to stay up late and party hard, but you can probably make it work even if you aren't.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Strombeekasaurus
Reviewed December 18, 2009

I stayed there for the last two days of my trip in Miami, it is the worst hotel I lived in among the 4 hotels I lived in during the trip.
1. The room is very noisy. My room is on the 1st floor. I could still hear loud music and people yelling and shouting around 3:00am! The hotel looks like a bar rather than a hotel.
2. They charged me $11.45 for no reason. After I leaved there, I noticed my credit card had been charge $11.45 besides the resort fee ($15 per day). Then I called them for several times. For the first two calls, the man told me I was charged this for drinking two bottles of water in their room. I even didn't see any bottles of water in their room, not to mention to drink them! I said I didn't drink anything there. Then he asked me to call their manager later. When I called back and got transferred to the "manager", he insisted me to call back the other day during office hours. I explained I've already called several times, finally he reluctantly told me he will refund me, which I haven't received yet. I know that is not much money, but I feel it is very fraudulent for them to do so. I am not a picky customer but I still feel angry about it.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 22, 2009

I stay in hotels about 150 nights a year and never had had a worse experience. I cancelled my reservation on-line, received a unequivocal e-mail confirmation and then booked at another one of their hotels during the same period. Later, I noted they never reversed the charge. I called and they refused to cancel the charge despite me having confirmed it cancelled. They were rude, belligerent and clearly could care less about being honest. I'm lucky - I have a good credit card company who got rid of the fraudulent charge but it was a huge headache. Warning - if you cancel your reservation, they won't honour it. (NB – I had cancelled the Whitelaw and stayed at the Chesterfield Hotel where I found out all their scammer hotels charge an almost 20% ‘resort fee’ they hide in their charges). Stay away from these thieves.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2009

I was a guest at Whitelaw on 11/12/09. Our flight was going to be getting in late so I knew I needed to call and let them know. When I called I talked to Joseph who kindly put us down for a 1am late arrival.

When we arrived there Guierrmo and Edward were there to greet us. They checked us in and gave us free passes to the club which was nice. The room they gave us on the first room up the stairs and to the left 101 I think. It was nice but you could hear everything in the lobby area. It was super small also which was not good for girls.

We were there on a Thursday so nothing much really happening that day. It was suggested to come on a Friday when the parties start.
We did go to Wet Willies! It was the best. they have this drink call Superwoman and boy to I tell you, she was "SUPER" It was so good we went the following morning before we boarded our cruise.

The next morning we needed more towels so Oscar was ready and willing for anything we needed.

The furniture is worn but you can't tell any of that in the pictures but its a super cute hotel. I didn't see any insects so I wasn't bothered much by the accomodations. Our air condition sucked so Guierrmo came in and opened our window. Well when we looked out the window there wasn't any security bars to keep anyone from coming through it so we closed it back and hoped for the best. Thank goodness the weather was mild that night.

All in all it is what it is.

Okay hotel for a good price. The location was perfect, in walking distance from beach, Wet Willies, CVS and other shopping.

If you are looking for top notch service like you would receive at a big chain hotel, then say at one of them.

If you are looking for a place to stay, still and be able to hang out a night and hit the beach in the morning and not have to empty your pockets, this is the place to stay. Be nice to the staff and they will be nice to you.

Complaints are all about the way you bring the issue to the attention to the staff. If you go in with an attitude you will not get what you want.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank MsDaphne
Reviewed November 12, 2009

We stayed here for a few night and have mixed feelings about the hotel. The rooms are different and were ok for what we wanted. The all pink rooms took a while to get use to but were pretty funky.

The hotel staff did not really help us much through out our stay and did not give us good advice regarding night spots.

The free hour of drinks were nice but the prices all the other times were over priced.

Location is great and is nice and close to the beach.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 10, 2009

This is a difficult place to review since its just so different and I had such a mixed experience.

The Good: The decor is amazing and the hot pink rooms are definitely worth checking out. The hotel is centrally located on South Beach and it was easy to walk to all the restaurants and bars/clubs. The free happy hour was fantastic and overall the staff was very friendly despite all the issues I had.

The Bad: They had to switch my room 6 times! When we first checked in the room they gave us on the 2nd floor had not been cleaned so they moved us to a 1st floor room. DO NOT stay on the 1st floor if you want to sleep at all. The area is open to their bar which just gets going at 3am. We did not sleep for hours that first night. So we requested to be switched to a 2nd or 3rd floor room. The next room they assigned us had a broken shower, the room after that was already occupied by someone else, and the following two had not been cleaned that day. Overall my biggest criticisms are that they don't have a good internal communication system for knowing which rooms are available, and that the 1st floor should really only be occupied by people who don't care to sleep at night.

I would recommend this place only to people who can go with the flow and are really into the South Beach party scene.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends