“Great location close to beach and shops!”
Review of Whitelaw Hotel

Whitelaw Hotel
Ranked #66 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here for 3 nights in dec 2013

The rooms and nice, stylish, good sized and most importantly clean and i have nothing bad to say re: rooms and beds were verrrrry comfortable

we paid extra to be on a quiet floor so we could sleep, it was worth it

The reception itself is AMAZING! loved the decor and the bar was pretty cool, a tad expensive if it wasnt happy hour but who cares, it was worth it

The Staff was really nice (except 1 girl), we arrived really late at night but they were all very welcoming at reception - there was only this one girl at the bar during happy hour with long dark brown hair and on the tallish side and she was so nice to the guys but awful to us 3 girls (we did nothing but smile) and was very stingy with the alcohol in the drinks compared to the other nice ladies there, that was the only bad thing about the hotel (she was there all 3 days so it was bad for us) this would be the only reason i would give 3 out of 5 stars for the service

I would recommend staying here as the hotel was cute and quirkly and stylish and great location

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Whitelaw Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Hello there Jazzdunz,

We value all of our guests feedback and would like to thank you for sharing yours with us! We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay! I see that you were able to experience the lovely service that our staff provides, and the complimentary cocktail hour as well. It's a perfect time to mingle around and get to know your temporary neighbors. I will make sure to inform the bar manager about the incident that you experienced with the bartender! He will bring it up in their weekly staff meeting.

Katrine

Write a ReviewReviews (1,566)

Reviewed December 10, 2013

I've stayed at the Whitelaw on three separate occasions and have enjoyed them all. All three times were girl-friend getaway trips so the decor and ambiance fit the bill. There's an open bar ever night from 7pm-8pm (tip the bartender for a stiffer drink), hookah served when ever you'd like and a DJ spinning top 40's and special mixes through out the night. Front Desk and house keeping have yet to do any wrong in my eyes, although the bartenders could work on being a little friendlier. This definitely isn't a hotel for anyone looking for a quiet and calm atmosphere. If you have children I would also steer clear. One block from the beach, right on the shopping strip and close proximity to Mango's restaurant/club, Fat Tuesday's and other great places to eat and drink make it an ideal place to stay while enjoying SoBe.
P.S. Whitelaw is part of Southbeachgroup, they have about 6 or 7 other hotels in south beach tat might fit your needs if Whitelaw doesn't it for you.

Room Tip: First floor is pretty busy and will become a bit noisy once night rolls around so if you'd prefe...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Whitelaw Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Good Afternoon Natasha C,

Thank you so much for taking your time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay with us! We are extremely glad to know that you are a loyal and returning guest and that you had another memorable time with us! :) I see that you were able to take advantage of the complimentary cocktail hour from 7-8pm. It's a perfect way to mingle around and get to know your temporary neighbors. We are a party hotel and if you are a looking for a more quiet or family oriented hotel, perhaps one of the other hotels in our group would be better suited for that. Please come back soon!

Reviewed November 2, 2013

I am sharing my experience as I would like future guests be aware and make an informed decision when selecting a hotel. I made my booking via expedia and choose this hotel. I arrived with my young daughter on October 17 for 3 nights. I was given room # 301. Late evening I was sitting on the edge of the bed talking on the phone and was itching like crazy, I did not realize at that point that it was bed bugs. Went for dinner with my daughter came back and went to sleep exhausted around 2.am awakened by the bed bugs, turned on the lights and disgusted to see tiny bed bugs. I called the front desk, showed him my red, bitten back and he immediately offered another room 1 floor below. My young daughter and I had to lug our baggage in the middle of the night to another room, no assistance was offered to us.
I was so upset this was the first night of our vacation and my main fear was bring thoses bugs back to my home.
The next morning the manager offered a hotel change and a refund for the 1st night only. Needless to say that I have not yet seen that refund.
The only good experience at that hotel was the front desk staff Fabrizio, the rest of it is a night mare!!!

Room Tip: Check your mattress, before you unpack.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Ruth A
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Whitelaw Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Hello Ruth A,

We value all of our guests feedback and would like to thank you for sharing yours with us! We take guests comments very serious and though it pains us to read that your experience with us was not positive, we see every opportunity as a chance to learn and to grow! I spoke with the General Manager about your review and she recalled this situation. She informed me that you were indeed moved from Whitelaw to our sister property Chelsea on your second night. Our team checked the room thoroughly and there was no trace of any type of bugs. As a precaution they did set a fog bomb in the room. Our accounting department was immediately notified to contact Expedia in order to refund you the first night, since you booked a package through Expedia. Unfortunately ocean swimmers, particularly off the coast of Florida are prone to discover that in the summer when water temperatures read between 76 and 82 degrees are tiny thimble jellyfish. Unsuspecting swimmers who pass through an invisible swarm of thimble jellyfish often end up with an itchy, acne-like rash with tiny small areas of raised red skin. They are often confused for bug bites. I am extremely sorry that your stay with us was less then enjoyable.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

If you're going to Miami and all you want to do is party then stay here, honestly you won't sleep as a party will be happening in your hotel lobby every night. i have to admit we stayed on the first floor so we could hear everything, but we knew what we were getting ourselves into. Had a great time. Perfect location as one street away from the beach. Only problem was the shower, it was hard to get the perfect balance of hot and cold. Yet my stay was AMAZING, everyone was friendly and happy and always ready to help out.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher level room if you want some sleep yet if you want to join in on the fun stay on the...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Whitelaw Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Good Evening Kristy5566,

Thank you for your honest feedback! We are indeed a party hotel and we are all about having a great time! We do inform guests clearly on our website that we are a party hotel. If you are looking for a more quiet and secluded getaway perhaps another hotel in our group is best for you. We are very glad to know that you had a great time with us! I will definitely make sure to inform the General Manager about your comment regarding the water. Please come back for another SoBe getaway! :)

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Sitting here reading a couple reviews here about this hotel and first thing i have to say is, Do not decide on this hotel by reviews, its a must-live experience… i had a wonderful time on my stay. i had booked my stay with expedia, i got a cheap rate compared to other hotels near by and i got to say, for the price i payed, this hotel was excellent. I arrived to MIA pretty early in the morning, so i knew my chances of checking in before 3 were really low. once i arrived to the whitelaw (btw their shuttle service was excellent, ride from AND to the airport for free) the front desk staff, Nicolas i believe was his name, was very happy to help me out and even told me they had a room clean and ready for me, at 10am. i didn't have to pay a penny for an early check in and i was really great full for that, i had a really long flight and i wanted to catch some sleep.
to the point, my stay was AMAZING. everyone was full of smiles and really help full. Once Nicolas told me about the Happy Hour, i was even more excited, cheap drink but what the heck, its free for an entire hour. I recommend all couple's, friends, or even if your single. this hotel is great.
i will be definitely be coming back to this place.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Whitelaw Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Good Evening Federick G,

There is absolutely nothing that we love to see more then a wonderful review!!Thank you for sharing it with us, and all of our future guests! We are very glad to read that your stay with us was wonderful! I see that we were able to accommodate you with an early check in at 10Am. We have no problem in doing so if we have clean and ready rooms available!! :) I will definitely inform Nicholas of your kind praise! :) He will be stoked to hear that! Please come back for another memorable time with us!

Reviewed October 29, 2013

first of all this place is very loud dirty and just all around nasty.The managers are rude all those nasty bartenders are rude and you give out cheap (--) water down drinks and katrine whatever your name is yes there is mold in your hotel bathrooms I've seen it myself disgusting I hate this place would never come back. One of the worst hotels! scumbags!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Davidj3654

Hello Davidj3654,

We value all of our guests feedback and would like to thank you for sharing yours with us! I am extremely sorry to read that your stay with us was less then enjoyable!! We are indeed a party hotel and our website clearly states so. If you are looking for a more secluded and quiet getaway our hotel is not the one for you. Perhaps you would have been satisfied staying in one of our sister hotels. I apologize that you found our staff to not provide satisfactory service! I wish you could have been more descriptive in providing names of the staff, so that we could have addressed the issue more accordingly. Our bathrooms have porous stone but our housekeepers use a really strong anti-fungus solution, with a strong bush when deep cleaning each bathroom. This is something that the General Manager really focuses on when she walks and inspects rooms. We take our guests comments very serious and though it pains us to hear that your stay with us was not excellent, we see every opportunity as a chance to learn and to grow.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

This review is from my trip last February. I was there with my husband to celebrate my birthday. I booked and prepaid the hotel through Priceline or hotwire. Everything paid in advanced. The hotel check in is strictly at the time they say, I arrived 30 min early and they would not let me check in. I had a rental car and parked on the street but seriously, there's no where to park and garage parking was ridiculous. The lobby is trendy, nice decor and small. After waiting till the young sarcastic front desk boy decided it was time to check in, he let us up in in this matchbox elevator. Our room was all white, felt like an ikea project, but none the less very cute and met my standards. Lobby turns to a lounge at night and it is definitely not a family friendly hotel. You want a good time, this is it. Open bar was good, cheap vodka but hey it's free, the bartender was really friendly and calamari was good. People from all countries were there. We had to cut our trip short and only stayed one night out of the three nights I had already paid for. Not that I was expecting my money back because it was not their fault I had to leave. When I was checking out, the young sarcastic front desk clerk told me ok one night is $215 or whatever it was and without thinking about it I paid him cash. He gave me a print out of something and since I was in a rush to leave, I totally forgot it was all paid for. Weeks went by and while I was going through my receipts and realized what had happened. I called the manager, no call backs, emailed, but no one replied. So I'll take that as my stupidity for not being fully awake and out of it when I checked out. Dude made out with extra cash because what I got printed out was the receipt of what I had paid for originally with my card (close to $500).
Lesson: Be aware of what you are being charged and what is already paid for. There are extra service fees too so be prepared.

Room Tip: Top floors are quieter, not much but less.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Whitelaw Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Hello there Mel C,

Thank you for sharing your honest feedback with us regarding your recent experience. Unfortunately when we have been sold out the night before we are not able to check in guests early. We would have had no problem in checking you in early if we had clean/ ready rooms available. Parking on South Beach has always been a hassle therefore we do offer valet parking for $35 per night. We do not advertise ourselves to be a family hotel, and state that if you are looking for such a hotel perhaps one of the other hotels in our group are more suited for that. Everyone makes mistakes and unfortunately the front desk agent made a mistake in charging you again, when your reservation was already prepaid. We would have had no problem is refunding you the money. I apologize that you were not able to communicate with the manager. Please email me directly if this issue still hasn't been taken care of, and I will make sure to resolve it immediately! My email address is Katrine.Beltran@southbeachgroup.com