“Amazing girls' weekend!”
Review of Whitelaw Hotel

Whitelaw Hotel
Ranked #60 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed March 14, 2011

This hotel is definitely not for people with young children or older couples trying to relax and enjoy the beach. It is a party hotel and advertises itself as so. With that being said, my friend and I (both mid-20's) and the time of our lives here over President's Day weekend. We got picked up at the airport by the shuttle (shuttle driver) for free and delivered to our hotel. All the doors and windows were open in the front of the hotel and fun music was blasting. Check out was really quick and easy. (We paid $9 extra for a room on the 3rd floor, which is the quiet zone. The music doesn't reach up there and we were never woken up early or in the middle of the night by people partying, etc. I HIGHLY recommend paying extra for this.)
Every night in the hotel we went to the free happy hour from 7-9. The bartenders, Luca and Franchesco were so fun and made the drinks really strong! We got 2 drinks each and took them to our room to drink later on in the night (7pm was a little early for us when we weren't planning out going out until 11). We got food during this time at one of the cafe's on Ocean Drive because they have 1/2 price drinks and appetizers from 7-9 every night.
Our room was adorable! We kept saying we wished our apartment in DC looked like it. The beds were really comfortable with big, fluffy comforters and lots of pillows. The rooms look exactly how they do online: chandeliers, pink walls with graffiti, plasma TV, white linens, full length mirror, etc. One thing that was really great about the room, especially for 2 girls, was the huge closet. It was the biggest one I've seen in a hotel room. Also, the IPOD decking station was really great so that we didn't have to bring our speakers.
The only bad thing I have to say about this hotel was the shower. It didn't have a door and water went EVERYWHERE. We had to use so many towels to clean it up everytime anyone took a shower. This however, isn't a reason not to stay here, it would just be nice if they extended the glass a little bit so that water wouldn't splash everywhere.
Overall we thought this hotel was exactly what we were looking for. A fun hotel, right next to the beach, for a budget price. I've been to South Beach several times and couldn't pick a better hotel for this kind of trip. I travel often and always stay at 5 star hotels and am pretty picky about where I stay, but even I couldn't find much complaint with the Whitelaw, you just need to realize what it's geared towards. I highly recommend it for bachelorette parties, girls' getaways, etc. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
whitelawhotel, General Manager at Whitelaw Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2011

Thank you for your feedback. We are very happy to have been part of making your stay in South Beach a memorable one.
We look forward to seeing you on your next girls weekends or any occasion, please contact us directly we will make sure to provide you with the best rates that we can.

Best Regards,

Whitelaw Hotel Management

Write a ReviewReviews (1,577)

997 - 1,003 of 1,577 reviews

Reviewed February 28, 2011

Lovely Hotel, We had a room on the 3rd floor. Probably the best when you book any hotel in south beach. Lovely decor and service. Got a bargain price through a 3rd party. Happy hour between 7-8. All staff seem friendly and helpful. Would recommend.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2011

The Good
Great South Beach location in the heart of the Art Deco District. Ocean Blvd. and the beach are about a block away. Neat looking art deco building. The lobby, while small and rather gawdy, has a unique hip style to it. Happy hour with free select vodka-based drinks. Friendly bartenders. Free wifi that worked well. The rooms were just big enough to not feel cramped. They have plasma TVs, irons with ironing boards, blowdryers and refrigerator stocked with typically hotel-expensive items. The mattress was fine with me as I slept (luckily I had a room on the 3rd floor away from the very loud noise of the lobby). The bathroom had marble flooring and walls and it included shampoo/soap. The airport shuttle picked us up at the airport at the time promised on the South Beach Hotel Group website.

While there's no separate restaurant on premises (plenty nearby as this is South Beach), they do serve food in the lobby. Didn't try any items so I can't comment on them.

Now the unfortunate.
First of all, it's not a resort by any definition so the $15 "resort fee" is a joke. No pool (a bare-bones "sundeck" is on the roof), no fitness room, no sauna, no tennis courts, and no grounds to speak of. The manager will likely respond with "you get an airport shuttle and happy hour." Those aren't "resort" items and not everyone uses those. Besides, anyone who walks in during happy hour are treated to the cheap drinks. Charge a nominal fee to those who do use those amenities and drop the silly "resort" fee and raise the room rate if you want more money.

The room furnishings were cheap looking and the design of the wall paint and curtains appeared more like my sister's room when she was a child. My opinion of course.

The guy who checked us in was dour, disinterested and even annoyed by our presence.

The South Beach Hotel Group website says they have a service in which you can print your airline boarding passes (it doesn't say any specific hotels are excluded from this service). When I went to the desk inquiring about printing my boarding pass, the desk guy, the same one who checked us in, responded, "You need to find a library." Seriously? I knew explaining to him the promises on his company's website would get nowhere. What I did find was the Whitelaw's sister property The Chesterfield down the street and asked them to print my boarding pass and they were more than happy to help me.

I've got no problem with workers being "real" and dropping the faux cheeriness, but most people who work in customer service, or most people for that matter, are naturally at least pleasant.

It's a rather generous 3 stars. Overall, I'd say if you get a cheap rate and don't mind the negatives, be willing to deal with Mr. Charm, you'll be okay.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 27, 2011

We read the reviews from families who said how cool / charming the hotel was and what a great time they had with their chidlen there. Was that written by the owner? Could not be further from the truth! IF YOU ARE YOUNG, SINGLE, READY TO GET DOWN ALL NIGHT - THIS IS THE PLACE HANDS DOWN. if you are travelling with little kids - DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT. we were promised the blaring music would shut down by 11:30pm but it cranked all night until 4:30am. yes we were on upper floor all the way in the back but the party just kept going. yes my kids slept but mama and papa did not. would have given this place some stars but the when the management was confronted with repeated reqests we were denied .Then we received no customer service at all at check out. We (as a family) give this place 0 stars. maybe even a negative one. Good luck!

Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Favalli1
Reviewed February 26, 2011

I am already back in "cold Germany (Munich)" and I would have loved to stay longer in Miami, not only because of the great weather:-)
the Whitelaw was an awesome place to stay! It was my very first time in Miami, and it was a so nice and friendly place to stay. The rooms where as it was promised also the service! I like to say THANX to Carlos, Andrew, Jose, Alfonso, Raul... !!!
it was so great to sit at the bar had a chat or just enjoying myself...
also liked the DJ on 8th nov.

I would love to return not without missing to stay at Whitelaw again!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed February 16, 2011

Was the hallway ever fixed? When we were there, there was a hole in the wooden flooring under the black hallway carpet and my Aunt tripped into it not seeing it and sprained her ankle. Not a great start to our Florida vacation. I said something before, but never heard back.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank iceprincess726
Reviewed February 15, 2011

We spent Valentines night at the Whitelaw. The staff were helpful, the room delightful - clean and tastefully decorated. We had a kingsize bed with crips cotton bedding, and a large flatscreen TV. Nice limestone-lined shower room, quite small, but very chic. We booked late and did not specify that we wanted a quiet room, but in spite of our room being right above the lobby and we could hear music, it was not at a nuisance level due to the double glazing and concrete floors, and did not interfere with our sleep. I will probably ask for a quieter room next time, which I hope will be soon. There was a safe, but it was not bolted to the wall and being small could have been carried away, so we did not use it. Have I mentioned the free happy hour? My husband and I had a few drinks on the house in the bar/lobby before heading out for our Valentine's dinner. All in all a great Valentines which I hope to repeat next year!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business