“Great stay overall with a few minor problems”

Miami Beach Resort and Spa
Ranked #119 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Toronto
“Great stay overall with a few minor problems”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2009

We stayed here for 7 nights from Feb. 16-23 and had a great time.

Location:
Loved the location right on the beach. The hotel is a bit far from Lincoln rd. and Ocean drive in south beach, but it was nice to be in a quieter part of Miami beach, especially for people who just want to relax on their vacation. We did not have a car so we walked to Lincoln rd. several times, it takes about 45 minutes but if you enjoy walking and are not lazy it's a nice walk (you can also walk along the boardwalk almost the whole way down). There is also a bus stop basically right in front of the hotel that can take you to and from south beach. The buses run frequently, it only costs $2.00 each way, and it will take you to and from south beach in about 10 minutes. You can also get to Aventura mall by taking the S bus North. It takes about 45 minutes but it is very easy to get to as it is only 1 bus that takes you directly to the mall. This is much cheaper than a car since you have to pay over $20 a day for valet parking at the hotel.

Rooms:
The rooms were decent. The decor was outdated (especially in the bathroom), but didn't bother us too much as the rooms were still comfortable and always clean. We had a partial ocean view room, which was nice because we had a view of the city and the ocean. The biggest problem with the rooms is that the walls are very thin and you can hear noise from rooms beside you like music, tvs, or people talking too loudly. On one of the nights we were there, there was a wedding reception taking place and we could hear the music from downstairs all the way on the 17th floor!

Food:
We ate at the poolside lunch restaurant several times. The food was very good but overpriced (plus 18% gratuity is charged on every bill). Try the cocktails and non-alcoholic frozen smoothies, they were amazing! When we booked the hotel we got a $150 resort credit, which could be used for any costs billed to the room (eg. from restaurants, internet access, etc..) so we did not have to pay for the food out of our pockets, otherwise we would not have spent the money to eat at the hotel. The service at the resteraunt was excellent depending on which server you got. We made sure that we were always served by one waiter in particular because he was great and we never had any problems.

We didn't bother to eat breakfast or dinner at the hotel restaurants because we didn't want to use up all of our credit in 2 days or so, so I can't comment on any of the other restaurants. If you want to save money on food, buy fruits, bagels and other snacks for breakfast from the local walgreens. We did this and spent about $25 for the whole week on our breakfasts and snacks. The rooms have fridges so you can store your own food and drinks.

Pool:
We loved the pool area. The weather was warm-hot and sunny all week so we spent a lot of time at the pool or on the beach. We usually came down around 10am and never had problems getting chairs. The pool itself was heated at a very comfortable temperature. Every day they would also bring around fruit skewers, sample smoothies, and cold face towels for everyone at the pool, which was nice. The only problem with the pool area was that around 1pm the sun would get blocked by the two condo towers beside the hotel. The solution to this was to go out on the beach, which never got shady, so you can enjoy the sun until it goes down in the evening.

Overall, we had a great stay at this hotel and for the price we paid we would probably come back. There were minor problems but if you're not too picky they can easily be overlooked. The service from most of the staff was also great, which made up for any minor issues we had. Basically you get what you pay for and if you want luxury then you are better off staying at some of the 4 1/2 or 5 star hotels located near this hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Allentown, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2009

Just returned from my stay at the Miami Beach Resort and Spa, and while I would agree with many of the comments that the hotel is in need of a refresh, I was expecting the worst based on reading the reviews posted on this site and was pleasantly surprised. Let me first state that I paid a promotional rate booked directly on the hotels website of $134.00 per night which included a $75.00 amenity credit. You would be hard pressed to get a room at the airport for that price let alone a resort right on the beach. As a comparison, to stay at the new Fountainebleu or Eden Roc right next door, the rates would be double or triple that, so you can't expect to get much more than you pay for. I feel that I got a good "resort" experience and fabulous location, for about the same I would pay for a mediocre motel room. Some of the highlights were: A great pool, that served fresh fruit, sorbet, and handed out cool days several times a day (small touches that really added to my experience, I didn't get that kind of service at much higher priced resorts), great pool side reggae entertainment all weekend, probably the best buffet breakfast I have ever had at the Hibiscus restaurant (it was a bit pricey at $19.00 per person, but worth ever penny), the lobby areas were really nice, had a great pool/oceanfront patio bar and restaurant, the rooms were very comfortable and had great amenities (decor would have been top notch in the late 80's and is in need of renovation, but my room was nice and had an incredible beach and city view), was able to walk to the boardwalk which starts about a block away all the way down to south beach. The staff were all very friendly and highly professional. I am surprised that so many have reported negatively on this hotel. For the price I paid I think it was a great value and would highly recommend. I would suggest you do your research and check out the options, you will most likely have to spend at least $300.00-$500.00 to get a top quality resort like experience in Miami Beach, so if you can get this hotel for under $200.00 I would go for it!

3 Thank jcemac
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2009

I was apprehensive about staying here after reading reviews from other people. I was blown away upon arriving at this hotel. It is truly a 3 or 4 star resort. It was very clean everywhere! The rooms were renovated and provided lots of space. There was central heat / air that worked very well. The views were decent and the ocean is highly visible from the partial view rooms. The concierge and room service staff were fabulous! They bowed down to your every need. The food prices were high but the service was impecable. Dont be fooled about the other negative reviews. I think those people were being too picky !!! There are no close restaurants or stores within walking distance. Its a good hotel for the price.! We will definitely stay here again. I have photos if anyone is interested to prove my statements above.

1 Thank AtlantaCruise_King
Fairfax, VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2009

My wife and I did not enjoy our stay. We provided a laundry list of issues below. However, I must say upon arrival at 3:00 PM we attempted to check into a room that had not be touched by housekeeping. We were subsequently moved to 3 other rooms (all dirty (stained sheets, dirty bathrooms, etc.) and housekeeping had supposedly cleaned these rooms) and finally the 4th room seemed to be OK (the staff did upgrade us to a Jr. Suite (not much to it other than more room and a couch and chair) and provided a $75 credit (which equals 7.5 drinks at the outside bar), but there were problems, including:

These are the problems in our 4th room: (Remember this room had just been (supposedly) cleaned when we checked-in)
- hair all over the pillows cases/bathroom sink/shower/tub (I gave up on room
service and ordered the pillow cases and changed them ourselves)
- old carpet and furniture
- very dirty bathrooms
- torn blanket
- old warn out very hard towels (not so great on a sunburn) with holes
- mattress was old/warn and we had backaches everyday

We were not permitted to order food from the dinning room and take it up to our room, therefore, we tried room service, once. Our order consisted of 1 Crème Brule, 1 Key Lime Pie and 1 hot chocolate. Both deserts were very small portions. They charged a $4 delivery fee + 18% gratuity. The Key Lime pie was very small, room temperature, very grainy, and without much taste (not like the taste of a Key Lime pie we all think of). The Crème Brule was more like Jell-O pudding. The hot chocolate was very good!

Each time we ordered a drink at the pool the bill included an 18% gratuity (even if we ordered just 1 beer) regardless of the quality of service.

Finally, upon check-out, I mentioned the above issues to the manager and she said, "Oh yes, we've had problems in this hotel for quite sometime". "Our budget is low and it’s difficult to maintain this hotel". She did offer an apology, after I paid our bill.

Overall the hotel is very poorly ran and unkept. This is the first time we've ever complained about a hotel.

We DO NOT RECOMMEND this hotel to anyone!

1 Thank VacationTraveler46

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

atlanta,ga
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2009

Checked in last night with confirmation number in hand for higher end room. They did not have my confirmed room. My choice was either a basic room overlooking a roof or a pullout sofa sleeper. Give me the room with a real bed. Dated and worn room decor, a hole in the bathroom wall, and a water faucet that can't be shut off. Trash in the hallway(and not room service trays). They also tack on $10.00 for the morning paper which they don't have. This morning, the same clueless front desk. Do I stick around and see if they can dig themselves out of this or just dig the ditch deeper?

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank chrisatlantaga
Wareham, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2009

We would not recommend this hotel. Before I list the many problems, I can summarize by saying there were a few staff that were friendly. But in general the service ranged from indifferent to surly. And where was the spa? I never found it. Overall, the surroundings were tired and dirty looking: dirty hand prints around the elevator buttons, broken plaster and dirty fabric chairs. To list the specific problems:
1. I was asked if I minded changing my reservation from a single king bed to two beds. After agreeing, I found the trade was 2 double beds. Besides being too small, the springs in both beds poked us. Also, the pillows were hard foam.
2. The shower was unlit and dark.
3. The switch in the bath blew a fuse if you tried to dry your hair and iron at the same time.
4. the coffee pot lid was broken and spilled coffee.
5. The restaurant fare was atrocious.
6. The elevators were slow. It took 15 minutes the day we left to get service on our floor.
7. Not the hotel's fault, but there was a screaming couple next door who seemed intent for 2 days on killing one another.
8. On check out we were due a $75 credit. This was not credited on the bill.
9. The windows were dirty.
10. Internet access was $10 a day.
11. Parking was $25 a day.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Minkcove
MD
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2009

This hotel should NOT have "Resort & Spa" in the name....it's very misleading. The location is good, price was great compared to other hotels but the rooms and bathrooms were grosse. Our room smelled really MOLDY and made us sneeze like crazy! If the other hotels weren't already booked we definitely would have cancelled the rest of our stay and spent twice as much to stay elsewhere. Another reason not to stay here: There was some kind of "police bust" next door to us and it was really creepy!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the room and bathroom was old, dingy and moldy
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank zumbabird