“First time last time”

Ranked #118 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Pittsfield
“First time last time”
Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

Hotel stuck in 80"s. Lobby is small. Check in room not ready they would call when ready. Never called. Room is large no hidef tv and the sceen is small. So many kids I thought I was at Disney. Front desk Staff and concierge seem confused. Happy hour at bar was eliminated with out warning because of boat show. Yet sign still up. So I walked next door to another hotel which had happy hour. The restaurant tacks on a 18 percent tip so not very noticed. The food is good portions small. Beer is $6.00. The pool is rusted in spots. Free water bubbler in gym. If you can rent a decobike just south of hotel and cruise south on Collins. The desk did not know the cost, but its cheap. I would stay next door at grand beach hotel. The sun is hidden by building after 4 pm at the pool. There is no hot tub. Closet space large. No explanation has to why the snack bar is locked. Lunch at the pool side bar was great.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank John W
Eduardo M, Manager at Miami Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns about your recent stay at the Miami Beach Resort and Spa. Your comments are very important to us as we want to strive to improve our services at the hotel for our valuable guests like yourself.

I personally shared your comments with our management staff and we were very disappointed about the poor experience you had during your visit in Miami. I can assure you that the issues you had are not a common practice of the hotel. If you feel there is something I can do to insure you are 100% satisfied with our resolution to your concerns, please contact me at any time. My e-mail is Emoya@luxuryresorts.com

I would like to sincerely apologize for our shortcomings and look forward to regaining your confidence during a future visit to the Miami area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Again I am going to reiterate all of the other reviews on here. The hotel was extremely dated and paint was indeed peeling off the walls and the carpet was stained and beginning to raise in places. Something I would not have expected due to the high prices within the hotel itself and how much it cost to stay there!

Some of the staff were helpful, however some of them were very VERY rude. We asked a number of times to have the service charge taken off (as I do not agree with 18% being added to my bill when I had only walked to the pool bar and ordered a drink. There was practically no service included what so ever!

The hotel is in a fabulous location for the beach. However the pool only got sun until early afternoon.

The hotel is not in a very good location and you need to catch a bus to go to the areas where you can actucally find some restaurants!

All in all I think the cons really outweigh the pro's for this hotel.

Room: small
Decor: poor and dated
Bathroom: tiny
location of the hotel to beach: brilliant
location of the hotel to ammenities: poor
staff: average

overall I feel this hotel is well below average and will not be returning.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kirsty_cat1017

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Spokane, Washington
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Our stay was a very good one! The Hotel could use a remodel and a little updating but as we were here to soak up the rays and live on the beach, the decor was not that important. I love that this was one of the "true" beachfront resorts! We spent a lot of time on this beach.
I love that they bring out fresh cold fruit and ice cold drinks periodicly throughout the day. Our room was nice the bathroom is on the small side, but like I said we were just using our room to sleep in so again this did not bother us. This resort does charge resort fees, and 18% gratuity is standard in this whole area.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank anfisa11
Tampere, Finland
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We spent the christmas 2012 in this hotel. Hotel is ok, not great in any level but not bad either. Pool area is nice, but the sun did't shine there in the late afternoon. Hotel is the smallest one in the neighbourhood and there are no balconies...which is not ok whe you can't open the windows. Rooms are dated, and air conditioning should be renovated...as the entire hotel. There is valet parking only, which works really well - costs 28$/day. Staff was nice, but I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for full or at least partial sea view!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Ryhope
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My wife and I picked this place for the beach because it had ok reviews, a decent price for and sea views, but mainly because it was right on the beach. With reflection though we made a mistake like other reviewers. The hotel is in need of some upgrades and the cleanliness could be better. The room had peeling paint in the bathrooms and the bed had the uncomfortable mattress I've ever slept on.

The pool does not get much sun throughout the day and like the hotel, could also do with updating. We also thought that it had way too much chlorine in the pool as it stung our eyes the following morning. Once was enough anyway.

Would not rush back to this hotel in its present state, but it could be nice with a little money invested into it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed three nighs at the hotel from January 28-31. I'm not sure where the totally negative reviews for this place are coming from. While I do agree that the place could use a major update (which I understand is planned), it is nowhere near as bad as has been described by some. My room (908) was spacious, clean and comfortable. I had a great view of both the Atlantic as well as the Miami skyline. I guess my only real complaint was the low toilet height (some kind of European thing, I guess). For area, the price was reasonable for the area, but still high in my opinion. Of course, I think any room over $99/night is high!

I'd like to especially thank Rafael at the front desk who made my check-in experience quite pleasant and welcoming.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank MediCop11
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

The sofa and the beach were the highlight of my one night stay at the resort. I arrived approximately at 7:30am. There was miscommunication as to when I'd be arriving, so my room was not ready. I understand that happens, and it was probably my fault. Either way, I needed a long nap before my afternoon meetings as a result of taking the red eye flight. Jaqueline, at the front desk, improvised. Thank goodness. She put me in room 1600, which is a conference room with sofa-bed. She arranged for me to sleep in that room until my room became available. I was able to sleep on the sofa comfortably and was able to get refreshed for my meeting.

By the time, I left for my meetings, my room was ready. I went downstairs to check in, but was disappointed that the bell hop was unable to transfer my bags from my temporary room to my permanent room. The resort has a policy that guests must accompany their bags with the bell hop. First time I've ran into that. After my meetings I went straight to my new room. Of course, my bags weren't there. I had to go through security and meet the bell person on 1600 to get my bags. Inconvenience.

The room was not what I expected in an establishment with the word "resort" in the name of the establishment. Very basic. It had a bed, two night stands, and old sofa chair, which some rips in it. There was a tube television, and a small refershment machine with snacks. The restroom had very poor lighting. The light is placed over the sink, but light does not adequately illuminate the shower area. The fixtures on the sink didn't even match. The walls are thin. My room, 1215, was next to the elevator bank, which meant I can hear the elevators all night. Even the floors have thin barriers. I was awaken at 2am due to the guests above me that kept dropping something on the floor.

They did not include my parked rental car in the bill. I waited outside for the valet to bring the car (valet is required). It wasn't until they brought my car and told me I needed to pay at the front desk. So much for express check out. I waited in line to pay at the front desk. Of course, I was going to pay, but I suggest they make it an option to pay at the valet station or at least inform me of my oversight before bringing the car.

This brings me to the beach. The resort has great access to the beach. The pool looked great, and the bar was located in a good location between the pool and the beach. You need to show your hospital-like band given to you at check in to access the pool and beach. This is a little tacky, but I suppose it works. If you're on vacation to hang out at the beach, pool, or go elsewhere, then this might be a place for you if the price is right. If you'll be using the facilities much or plan on staying in your room for extended periods, then you may want to reconsider depending on your taste.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank JoaquinH
Eduardo M, Manager at Miami Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such detailed and constructive review regarding your most recent stay. It is thanks to reviews like yours that our management team can work on improving the services and enhance operational procedures in our Resort.

I am glad you enjoyed the Resort's amenities and that the staff accomodated your request for an early check in. We understand that traveling overnight and arriving very early to a hotel can be exhausting and our guest services team is prepared and empowered to assist.

We are carefully looking at our valet and bellmen procedures to make them as guest friendly as possible without compromising security and the safety of our guest and staff. I sincerely apologize for our shortcomings, we will work on those to insure our future guest do not go through a similar situation.

We sincerely appreciate the privilege to serve you and look forward to regaining your confidence during a future trip to Miami!