“Its all about perspective.”

Miami Beach Resort and Spa
Ranked #123 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
“Its all about perspective.”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed three nighs at the hotel from January 28-31. I'm not sure where the totally negative reviews for this place are coming from. While I do agree that the place could use a major update (which I understand is planned), it is nowhere near as bad as has been described by some. My room (908) was spacious, clean and comfortable. I had a great view of both the Atlantic as well as the Miami skyline. I guess my only real complaint was the low toilet height (some kind of European thing, I guess). For area, the price was reasonable for the area, but still high in my opinion. Of course, I think any room over $99/night is high!

I'd like to especially thank Rafael at the front desk who made my check-in experience quite pleasant and welcoming.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank MediCop11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

The sofa and the beach were the highlight of my one night stay at the resort. I arrived approximately at 7:30am. There was miscommunication as to when I'd be arriving, so my room was not ready. I understand that happens, and it was probably my fault. Either way, I needed a long nap before my afternoon meetings as a result of taking the red eye flight. Jaqueline, at the front desk, improvised. Thank goodness. She put me in room 1600, which is a conference room with sofa-bed. She arranged for me to sleep in that room until my room became available. I was able to sleep on the sofa comfortably and was able to get refreshed for my meeting.

By the time, I left for my meetings, my room was ready. I went downstairs to check in, but was disappointed that the bell hop was unable to transfer my bags from my temporary room to my permanent room. The resort has a policy that guests must accompany their bags with the bell hop. First time I've ran into that. After my meetings I went straight to my new room. Of course, my bags weren't there. I had to go through security and meet the bell person on 1600 to get my bags. Inconvenience.

The room was not what I expected in an establishment with the word "resort" in the name of the establishment. Very basic. It had a bed, two night stands, and old sofa chair, which some rips in it. There was a tube television, and a small refershment machine with snacks. The restroom had very poor lighting. The light is placed over the sink, but light does not adequately illuminate the shower area. The fixtures on the sink didn't even match. The walls are thin. My room, 1215, was next to the elevator bank, which meant I can hear the elevators all night. Even the floors have thin barriers. I was awaken at 2am due to the guests above me that kept dropping something on the floor.

They did not include my parked rental car in the bill. I waited outside for the valet to bring the car (valet is required). It wasn't until they brought my car and told me I needed to pay at the front desk. So much for express check out. I waited in line to pay at the front desk. Of course, I was going to pay, but I suggest they make it an option to pay at the valet station or at least inform me of my oversight before bringing the car.

This brings me to the beach. The resort has great access to the beach. The pool looked great, and the bar was located in a good location between the pool and the beach. You need to show your hospital-like band given to you at check in to access the pool and beach. This is a little tacky, but I suppose it works. If you're on vacation to hang out at the beach, pool, or go elsewhere, then this might be a place for you if the price is right. If you'll be using the facilities much or plan on staying in your room for extended periods, then you may want to reconsider depending on your taste.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank JoaquinH
Eduardo M, Manager at Miami Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such detailed and constructive review regarding your most recent stay. It is thanks to reviews like yours that our management team can work on improving the services and enhance operational procedures in our Resort.

I am glad you enjoyed the Resort's amenities and that the staff accomodated your request for an early check in. We understand that traveling overnight and arriving very early to a hotel can be exhausting and our guest services team is prepared and empowered to assist.

We are carefully looking at our valet and bellmen procedures to make them as guest friendly as possible without compromising security and the safety of our guest and staff. I sincerely apologize for our shortcomings, we will work on those to insure our future guest do not go through a similar situation.

We sincerely appreciate the privilege to serve you and look forward to regaining your confidence during a future trip to Miami!

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Rooms and service was average. Resort restaurant was terrible. Overpriced, poor quality and limited options. Room service woke us up every morning at 8:30am knocking on the door. Noisy room outside lift. Could hear every door bang from surrounding rooms. Food on the breakfast buffet was cold and tasteless. Check your bill. We were charged for mini bar items we never had.

Room Tip: Away from the lifts.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ans007
Dear guest,

We are very disappointed to learn your stay was unsatisfactory as it is our intention that each one of our guests has a memorable experience with us. I would sincerely appreciate if you share more details with me regarding your resort experience with me as I am confident we can use your feedback to improve. Our Executive Chef is also very concerned regarding your comments as we take great pride on the food we serve at all three of our restaurants. My contact e-mail is Emoya@luxuryresorts.com

I sincerely apologize for our shortcomings and look forward to speaking with you as it is my goal to insure you are 100% satisfied with our resolution to your concenrs.
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed overnight recently prior to a cruise our friends were also there. We were impressed at check in very friendly and helpful and we were exhausted after a very long flight. We were asked for either a 50$ deposit as we arrived no problem, we asked if room service was still available and were told it was. So far so good, we ordered and my husband signed the bill and we began to eat. What follows was a complete nightmare. The waiter came back and asked for our credit card (by now we were in bed). My husband said he was not going down to please bring the card reader up stairs. A phone call from reception said this was not possible and he would have to go down. This conversation went on for about 45mins, my husban stating that we had already left a deposit. By now his food was cold. to get to the end during the night we had 3 silent phone calls 12.30, 2.30 and 4.45am. Our frinds had an equally bad experience with the waiter coming back and refusing to leave until he had the money. The strange thing is we had a refund on our 50$ as our meal was less. Come on its lovely hotel but what a way to treat customers. By the way we were booked in by Virgin, not good for them either.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Travebug33
Dear Guest,

While we are happy to learn that your first impression of the Resort was a positive one, we are disappointed that your stay did not end very well. The Miami Beach Resort has a policy in place that any guest that does not provide a credit card at the time of check in, is unable to charge food and beverage towards their room account. This is the reason the room service staff requested payment at the time of the delivery of your meal and did not allow the charge to the room. Our management team is currently looking at this policy to see if we can make it more guest friendly as well as working on additional training for our staff to better handle situations like the one you described in your review.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for any inconveniences we might have caused you and feel free to contact me at Emoya@luxuryresorts.com if there is something I can do to insure you are satisfied with our resolution to your concerns.
Long Island City, New York
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Never felt a need to write a review but after my experience with this "resort" i must warn people to not to waste your money.

Its old. Thin walls. Rude Staff. Got mistakenly charged $250 extra because they thought we had smoked in the room. They sent security up while we weren't in the room and they took the liberty on going through or stuff.

Sunglasses got stolen from our car.

if this isn't enough to warn you i don't know what is.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank HotelVetiver
Eduardo M, Manager at Miami Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Readers,

In order to insure comfort, hygine and quality of our guestrooms, the Miami Beach Resort has a strict non-smoking policy. In this particular case, evidence of smoking in the room was found by our security team, however under no circumstances are they allowed to search through our guests personal belongings. A $250 cleaning fee was assesed as the room had to be placed out of service in order to be sterilized and deep cleaned due to the heavy smell of cigarretes.

Dear guest, our hotel security or guest services staff never received a report for missing sun glasses from your vehicle. Please contact me ASAP with detailed information so that we can immediately investigate your claim. My contact e-mail is Emoya@luxuryresorts.com

We respectfully ask our Trip Advisor readers to ignore this review as we believe it contains inaccurate information about our Resort's policies and procedures.

For any questions regarding our smoke-free policy, please feel free to contact me at Emoya@luxuryresorts.com
Santiago de Cuba, Cuba
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Nice from the outside, but ageing badly inside:
-bathroom and toilet in poor conditions
-cleaning not done properly (we arrived and some lollies were under the tv cabinet, 2 daysblater they were still there!!!
- expensive breakfast for an average choice and quality ( although the expresso coffee is good)
- noisy! We were on the 14th floor, and with a party the Friday night on the 18th, it was impossible to sleep.
My point is they should at least advise/warn you about it.
-pool area ok
-beach access ok
-service ok

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Eduardo M, Manager at Miami Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear guest,

Our cleaning staff is extremely embarrased to read your review as we do hold them to a high quality standard. In response to your comments, our Director Housekeeping has taken the liberty to personally re-train the staff assigned to work the 14th floor as well as our quality inspectors to insure these types of incidents to not ocurr in the future. We also disappointed to learn that the catering event held in our famous Starlight Ballroom disrupted your stay. These types of events are held on a regular basis in our Resort, however they are normally not disruptive to the peace of other guests. We are sincerely sorry that particular event created an inconvenience for you and your family.

We are happy to learn that you enjoyed our pool, beach and that the overall service was good. We would love to have you return to our Resort for a future visit to Miami and hope that you will give our team of hospitality professionals another chance. If there is anything I can do to take care of you for the issues you experienced, your may contact me at Emoya@luxuryresorts.com
Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We just came from New orleans as part of our 2 minth trip around the states from Australia. New Orleans was amazing, great character, friendly people and a lovely hotel. Our travel agent made an error booking this hotel, make sure you dont make the same mistake! There are plenty of other options along the beach, use priceline.com! Our biggest issue with this hotel is the customer service we recieved from "Rafael" when we checked in at 11pm. I have never experienced such a rude individual working in the hotel industry! He ended up telling us we could not check in because we did not have the voucher. The room was fully prepaid since October! I asked him if we could check in and I could print it for him tomorrow once I got it from our travel agent and he said no i need the voucher before you stay or I will charge you a $350 fee!! This arguing went of for 5 minutes and it was very uncomfortable for myself and my partner. I had actually called the hotel a day before to ask them about the voucher and a lady told me it was fine and that they didnt need it as all my details where on the computer - he didnt care about this and just kept repeating him self "I need the voucher" "Present the voucher". Eventually he came around (after we walked off trying to contact back home)and we managed to check in and print it the next day using there computers which cost $12 for 5 minutes!! We had housecleaning banging on our door at 8:30am!! I am sending this review from our room on the slowest wifi in the northern hemisphere. The rooms are old and not worth $250 a night!! Choose some where else, wish we did!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RTWtravellersAUS
Dear guest,

On behalf of our staff or guest services professionals, we would like to sincerely apologize for the issue you experienced during check in. Our Front Office Management team is currently conducting addtional training to insure these types of incidents to not ocurr in the future. Our Resort experienced issues with our internet provider during a few days but since your visit, we have upgraded our internet service and it works very well. Internet service is provided to our guest on a complimentary basis.

We sincerely appreciate your feedback and if there is anything I can do to regain your confidence, please do not hesitate to contact me at Emoya@luxuryresorts.com