“Better than expected” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #117 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Sao Paulo, SP
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I spent New Year's eve week which ended with BCS College Football Championship game NDame x Alabama in Miami so Hotel was pretty full for the whole week. We were concerned with reviews and long waiting for services in view of high demand from elevators to breakfast, room service or even to get our car from parking crew but everything was ok. In fact parking crew was superb and during 8 days in different times, we never waited more than 3-5 mins for our car. We used room service in 2 different nights without delays. Said so we wound't mind if room service menu had more options... For sure one needs to avoid elevator rush hours as everyone wanted to get out from 9.30 to 10.30am but we had a good stay at the end. The Hotel is not modern but is still good. Our standard room was big and with plenty of closets. The bathroom was ok and so was water pressure. Soaps, shampoos and conditioners were replaced daily. TV set was not plasma but worked fine and there is a mini bar just in case. The breakfast buffet was good and there was a coffee shop in front of the restaurant if we wanted to eat less or take something to go. In addition the Hotel has a convenience store and other shops. Beach service (chairs/ lounges or umbrellas) are paid as in any other Hotel around the area which is kind of ridiculous... Swimming pool could be bigger but is ok and is kept warm in winter (if one can call Miami at 75F winter...rsrs). As Hotel is a little smaller than others around, shadow coming from others force you to chase the sun after a certain hour of the day. Fitness facility was ok for someone looking to remain in shape during few days. The free wifi internet worked great for 5 days and then did not work for the last 3 days of our stay ( it would have been a big deal for me if I had to work... though I imagine I woud have found a solution paying some fee... ). Hotel employees were nice and tried to please our needs.The Hotel is beach front and for half of the price of others around, it is a good deal as long as you do not mind the fact it's room decorations and technology equipments (TV/ others) are not updated and make you think you are back to late 90's...rsrsrs

Room Tip: All the rooms in Hotel have some sort of view. The best rooms have full ocean view (beach front room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ChiccoV_65

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Egg, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This hotel is ok. The prices are ok.
Has seen it's best days but fine for a few nights.
The room doors are quite loud when closing. Therefore you can hear when one of the neighbors on the floor comes home.
Had a little issue when checking. My breakfast bill was 58 USD even I was just by myself and remembered having signed for about 20 USD. The girl at the front desk did not believe me and went over to the restaurant to check it out. Took her about 15 minutes and the line behind me grew from 2 people to about 20. She did not seem to care on her quest for 38 USD.
At the end the friendly waiter had to come and sort things out. I left with a smile under the dirty looks of the 20 people behind me.
All I can say... It is an ok place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ub42
Eduardo M, Manager at Miami Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Your comments are very valuable and have been a topic of discussion with our guest services staff. Thanks to your review, we have made improvements to our check out procedures to insure that any billing questions or discrepancies are handled more efficiently by our staff. Our most sincere apologies for the noise that was caused by slamming doors, while it is not a common issue experienced by our guests, we are working diligently in finding a possible solution to that as well.

We would also like to note that the pictures posted on our website were taken in April of 2012 so they are less than a year old. As a suggestion to our Trip Advisor readers, we recommend looking at the pictures posted by other Miami Beach Resort guests posted on this site.

Thank you for your review and we sincerely hope to regain your confidence for any upcoming trips to Miami.
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in early December as part of a conference group. My room was robbed while I was at the conference - thankfully, I had my laptop and valuables with me. I reported the incident to security, and they simply wouldn't follow up. No report to the police, no internal investigation with the cleaning staff (there was no sign of forced entry into the room). They did offer me a mobile phone charger to replace the one that had been stolen, but even that came from some box of mobile phone chargers that people had left behind in their rooms, which seemed odd - I thought the reason for keeping them was to return them to their rightful owners.
I've been to Florida dozens of time, but this level of indifference set a new high watermark even by Floridian standards.
So, be warned - don't leave anything in your room.
Also be warned that you'll be charged a hefty "spa fee" regardless of whether you use the spa.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Gerald P
Miamifun_9, Manager at Miami Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear guest,

Our management staff is extremely surprised about the contents of your review regarding an alleged theft. Our security staff did conduct an investigation and we can assure you that our cleaning staff did not take your phone charger. On the contrary, our Security Manager took the time to find a replacement phone charger and was able to solve the issue you reported. Our lost and found policy mirrors the Florida Inkeeper's law as we keep all lost and found items for 30 days unless they are claimed. The phone charger given to you had been in our lost and found office unclaimed for 4 months so we took the liberty to give you the charger as a courtesy.

I would also take the time to clarify that the Miami Beach Resort does not charge a Spa fee as you mentioned in your review. However, we do have a nightly $12 resort fee which includes complimentary Wi-Fi internet, daily newspaper and phone calls from your room among other benefits.

We respectfully ask our Trip Advisor readers to please disregard this review as it contains inaccurate information about our Resort. For any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me at emoya@luxuryresorts.com

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Alpharetta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My wife and I booked this hotel for 10 nights to spend our Christmas and new year eve with our kids. We checked out early after 3 nights. None of us could sleep peacefully because everyone complain of back pain due to bad condition of mattresses. On the 3rd night I asked the staffs if they could change us the room with better mattress, they said the all mattresses are old , they provided us with an old drywall to put under the mattress , the service man came with dirty and dark drywall and put under our mattress, now the room was smelling like toilet. It was a nightmare the kids couldn't stand the smell, further more the room has no microwave and fridge, this is very inconvenient if you are staying with kids. The hotel said If you want the microwave or fridge, you should pay $10 per day and $5 delivery fee if microwave or the fridge is available, otherwise they will put you on the waiting list to get the microwave. They have installed a small vending fridge machine to sell candies and drinks. they charge $4 per snicker or soft drink. This hotel is cheap, no respect to guest stay and comfort. It does not worth the money we paid. We decided to quit the hotel before you get sick of back pain and stress.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest

We have taken the time to look into your comments written on this review and we are embarrased to learn about your poor experience. Since you left we have replaced the mattresses in that particular room and we have inspected every single bed board we have on inventory to insure it meets hotel standards. On behalf of our staff please accept our most sincere apologies.

The Miami Beach Resort does not have refrigerators or microwaves in every room, however they can be requested and for a $5 daily usage fee they can be placed in any room. The Resort will waive the fee for a refrigerator if it's needed for a medical condition.

Once again we sincerely regret you did not enjoy your stay and please feel free to contact me at any time so that I can personally insure you are 100% satisfied with our resolution to the issue you reported. My e-mail is Emoya@luxuryresorts.com
United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

As other reviewers have commented, the lobby of this hotel is "grand." But wait 'til you get up to your room and you'll see the owners have given the place a very superficial (i.e. cheap) redecorating and the hotel, while adequate, is far from impressive. In fact, the window in our room was cracked and there was trash under one of the beds.

We all ordered sandwiches from the restaurant and the old adage that you shouldn't eat hotel food certainly did not apply here: All three sammies were delish!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SlippyGirl
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

The hotel is the last remaining resort from the original Miami Beach Golden Era of the 1960s hence it has the grand lobby, large rooms, along with beachfront property with the bay on the other side of it.

It has NOT been redone in the generic "shopping center" manner that the neighboring Eden Roc and Fontainebleau hotels have been. They are all within a five minute walk from one another. The lobby is beautiful and the staff is terrific. The rooms although large, could probably use a facelift but they are spacious, clean and nice--not dingy.

The setting of the property on Collins Ave is truly astounding. Beautiful, I understand the hotel has a landmark status as it certainly deserves. It seems to be the safest too as there is nothing sleazy anywhere nearby. All top luxury hotels and condos for a mile in either direction without exception. This is a rarity in Miami Beach and the hotel is perfectly located on both sides for that reason. The hotel was once known as the Doral Hotel, after that I think it was both a Westin and Wyndam for a time.

I think the value is a good one, the place is a fine hotel. I found it to be a pleasure to be there--I wished I lived there!

Room Tip: Get a less expensive room facing south but on a high floor. This will give you a beautiful view of b...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo