“Great value room but isolated location.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Miami Beach Resort and Spa

Miami Beach Resort and Spa
Ranked #107 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
medford nj
“Great value room but isolated location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Good deal especially with free decent bottle of wine and comped dinner. Drawback is lack of grocery store, drug store, cheap eats etc. wthin 20 min walk one way. Pleasant staff. Not trendy, middle class and largely foreign guests. Nice large, warm pool and decent public beach. Would consider public parking lot two blocks south and rental car if exploring South Beach, etc.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank buffy08210

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Location on the Ocean was very nice. Our room on the 14th floor had a view of Ocean to the left and Intracoastal and Miami to the right. Straight on was another building. Pool area was fine and Beach area nice. Didn't eat in hotel for breakfast...heard it wasn't good. Room needed updating: needs flat screen tv, magnifing mirror and safe would have been nice. Tons of closets though.
Lobby attractive

Room Tip: Our room was 1416 near elevator...was quiet but faces Condo head on but side views were beautiful
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank micheleg
Martinsville, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Was recently here for a conference. Was scheduled to stay an additional two days but paid the early check-out fee of $100 just to get out. . . . Like another reviewer has already commented, you are charged for everything. There are no restaurants within walking distance. Or actually, there are, but they are within other hotels and not marked. On my smartphone I was able to pull some up and review the menus. The hotel next door had a restaurant and a steak dinner for one person cost $99. And NO I did not misplace the decimal. The hotels breakfast cost $18 per person, there was a $28 per day valet charge. Lunch options were unique. I thought the turkey BLT sounded good until I read it was on Cranberry bread. The pool area was nice with live music and fruit. However, it is in the shade by 2:00 p.m., so then we went to the beach and because of all the other high rise hotels, it was also in the shade and trash littered the beach. Not some place I would visit on my own. When we first walked in the door, the staff and other guests, litteraly sized us up, looked us over real good and then gave us the impressions that we did not belong. However, the day of my meeting, I was dressed differently and many spoke to me. My 12 year old felt very uncomfortable with how we were being treated. Our money spends just like anybody else's. And yes, at one time I even owned a SAAB. The room was nothing fancy. It did have a walk in closet which was nice. Our room overlooked both the bay and ocean and the metal rooftop below. The windows were dirty. I tried to plug in my laptop and the plug kept falling out of the wall. The hotel is trying to be upscale, but not successful. The lobby is nice but the rooms and attitudes of both the staff and those staying there need to be adjusted. We got out of there as soon as we possibly could and scooted up the road to Surfiside. Much better experience there at the Best Western Oceanfront hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank snp51023
Miamifun_9, Manager at Miami Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Our Management team has read and looked into your comments regarding your visit to our Resort. We are quite surprised to read about our staff's attitude towards your family as our management team spends a lot of time training and promoting good hospitality. Their response to you is completely unacceptable and has been addressed to insure it does not happen again with any other guest.

On behalf of the staff of the Miami Beach Resort we would like to sincerely apologize for our shortcomings. Please feel free to contact me via e-mail at Emoya@luxuryresorts.com if there is anything I can do to regain your confidence.

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I recently stayed here for several nights for a conference. I can see that it might be enjoyable as a vacation destination -- beachfront, pool, etc. -- but it seemed really ill suited for business.

The staff were all very pleasant and helpful. However, the conference rooms seemed really dated and worn out. There were mold stains on the ceilings, and the wireless access was "broken." Pretty inconvenient for a conference. The continental breakfasts were kind of underwhelming (nothing hot). The one lunch we had was great, though, and was served in a room with a wonderful view.

My actual room also seemed pretty worn out, with chipped tiles in the bathroom and trim with lots of dings and scratches, old television set, glass missing from the framed painting over the bed. Outlets were few and far between, and the only work area in the room was a round table far from any outlet. Maybe that doesn't matter if you're on vacation but when traveling on business it's annoying to have to get on your hands and knees to plug something in behind the mini bar. The bed was very comfortable and the partial ocean view was very nice.

Miami Beach is not really my style and not someplace I would go of my own choice, mainly because everything is just so expensive! The hotel even required a $50 per night deposit for incidentals, which is pretty steep for someone on a university per diem. I never use room service or charge anything to the room, so I found that a pretty frustrating requirement on check-in.

As others have noted, it's not near anything in walking distance so unless you have a car you'll need to cab it everywhere. It cost me $33 in cab fare to get there from the Miami International Airport. Cabs are plentiful and easy to find, but not really in my budget. Unfortunately, neither was $28 per day to garage a rental car.

I probably sound like a real cheapskate, but for me it was a difficult place to be on a travel budget. For those people looking to book conference space I would not recommend this hotel based on my experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Sue_J101
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The Hotel & Staff exceeded our expectations ; Key staff were the best & the room was high quality .
The Hotel has the good fortune of large rooms & very good staff, the food front is very well covered not a chance on the lack of choice .

The staff were very helpful on food selection & vegetarian food requested by my wife , this was not a problem .

Room Tip: My room had joint views of the Sea & Water Way fronting the Hotel .
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank tony g
Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I was attending a conference in Miami Beach and this was one of the hotels that the organization put on their list. I was extremely disappointed. The lobby was very nice upon arrival. That was about the only nice part of the stay. Upon check-in, we had to wait for a very long time. Come to find out their credit card machine was broken and all credit cards had to manually be called in. I had reserved a king room for my husband and me, he was attending the same conference. No king rooms were available until after 5pm but we had to change and get to our conference by 5.The clerk said he would take one out of order so we could move the following morning. We decided that was fine and took a room with 2 beds. I asked if they were at least queen size and was told yes. Not a true statement and the room was awful. Two double beds, peeling paint, black & white checked bathroom floor with pink paint, etc. The view, "partial ocean view", overlooked the nastiest and most unappealing roof top I have seen. I immediately called the front desk and asked to be moved. I was told I could not be moved until the next day because now that we had "entered" the room they would have to send housekeeping in, even though we had not even touched anything in the room. I agreed to move the next day since I had already been assured a king room was "out of order" and on hold for me. The next morning we packed our bags, went to the front desk only to be told there was no king room available. Grr... They stored our bags for the day and once we returned that evening we were put in a king room with a much better view. However, the rooms are old and dirty and in major need of a renovation. One of the closets had crumbs or something all over the floor. Frankly, it was just gross. An example of the service - we went to the pool one afternoon and asked the attendant if there were more towels available since the bin was empty. His response? "NO". That's it! The rest of the service was about the same. No one seemed to care and treated you rudely. Bottom line, I would never return. Also note, there are no restaurants in the area. Had to cab it to get anywhere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank QuitYourJobandTravel
Newton MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed here to be close to famlily and it seemed to be the best value when I did my "research" for hotels in the area. The hotel could use some updating (old TV in the room...no flatscreen) but otherwise was great. The room was big, clean and quiet. The pool area was especially nice, and they even came around to offer guests fruit.Good security, excellent location, helpful staff. I'd definately stay again when I visit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo