“Fantastic hotel on South Beach”
Review of Greenview Hotel

Greenview Hotel
Ranked #160 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed December 12, 2010

We recently stayed at the Greenview Hotel on South Beach for one week during Art Basel/Miami. This hotel is so convenient to Lincoln Road and the Convention center. The manager, owner, and staff were wonderful. They were so well informed as to all activities in the area and were just generally helpful. The hotel has just been renovated. All the rooms are clean and updated. Thanks to all the staff.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Greenview Hotel

Reviewed December 8, 2010

The website for this hotel is very misleading. The building is indeed art deco, but also old and run down. The rooms have been remodeled, but they used cheap IKEA furniture. You would think that the remodeling happened the day before you got there because there are still bits and pieces of cement in the shower. The rooms are small, the window curtains do not close all the way, and the bathroom is tiny and crowded. The A/C in my room was a wall unit that was very loud and could not be muffled with earplugs. The cable TV was permanently staticy. The staff acts very indifferent to your concerns... in fact it seemed like they could not care less. Also note that there is not on-site parking, so if you drive there you have to either take your chances parking on the street and getting towed or pay $20 for valet parking. If you choose to do valet parking, note that they take your car down to 5th street, and it takes them about 20 minutes to bring it back to you. In short, I think this place gives you much less than what you pay for, and I would not recommend it to any one.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed December 6, 2010

I stayed here for just one night to attend a conference in October. The room was clean, the wifi worked, the bed was comfortable and the location was great. For the price, this was good value. I passed on "breakfast" and headed to the Starbuck's just a block away. As for parking, the website was clear that parking was valet and the cost so no surprise there. My only minor complaint was that there were no towels in my room - quickly rectified when I went to reception - and the outlet in the bathroom didn't work. In fairness, I did not give the hotel an opportunity to fix the outlet issue as I was in a hurry and had to leave. This hotel is about value not luxuries so for that they scored high with me.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 26, 2010

This hotel is a great deal. If you want opulence and luxury, (and have more money than you know what to do with), stay at the Ritz-Carleton on the beach. If you want a great deal then stay at this hotel. It is conveniently located just north of Lincoln Avenue (known for its shopping and restaurants) on Washington Avenue. The shopping and restaurants of Lincoln Avenue are on the west side of Washington Avenue, and the beach is a short walk away on the other side of Washington Avenue on Lincoln Avenue. The rooms are not fancy, but are neat and clean. The service is excellent. I seemed to ask them a million questions, and they answered every one pleasantly and politely. If they did not know the answer to a question, (such as the schedule for the airport bus service that stops at the nearby McDonalds) they looked up the answer for me on the internet while I waited. They are also one of the (seemingly) few hotels that still offer a free Continental breakfast. Both the morning and evening staff seemed like they really cared and wanted my wife and I to have a good experience at their hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2010

large rooms with a nice decorative touch, very well located hotel, and cheap
all in all excellent value for money

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 15, 2010

We stayed at this hotel primarily because of the location and price. However, when we checked in, they charged us the "reservation" fee (it may have been called differently but I think that's what they call it). Since unlike most of the places I've stayed before they charge you in advance - also was a surprise for me - it took me the next three days to get the manager and fight the charge. The printout of the email with reservation confirmation AND total price WITH taxes and fees which we received from the hotel previously didn't convince the manager that they were in the wrong. They agreed to remove the charge saying "I won't fight for $20 so if you really want to we will credit it back". The credit, of course, couldn't take place immediately because their internet wasn't working the day we were checking out and printer, I think, was broken as well. The credit did go through though. Based on their explanation, the fee was supposed to cover the WiFi (which they advertise as free) and continental breakfast (which is also free based on their ads). I don't think their selection can be called breakfast by any stretch of imagination, but I guess if you don't mind stuffing yourself with bread in the morning and drinking cheap coffee you'd find it useful.

Another party in our group that arrived later found that out of the 4 confirmed rooms, the hotel only had 2, so that took some "convincing" to clear the situation. I'll describe parking situation in details below...

Location: Excellent! Right by the pedestrian street AKA tourist trap. Couple of blocks to the beach.

Rooms: I can't speak for all of them - we had the room right next to the front desk - but our room was love/hate situation. The actual room, while small, was, it looks like, recently remodeled and very cozy. However, the shower room looked and felt like it was a blast from the past - old, cold and plain nasty. The AC was also not capable of handling that tiny room and was making loud noises. The bed was new but the mattress and pillows were not comfortable at all... and I'm not really picky as far as that goes usually. There were no tables/chairs and when I had to use the laptop I couldn't find a place where I could sit and reach the electric outlet at the same time. Ended up using it on batteries on the bed.

Front desk: somewhat helpful to find stuff to do around the hotel, but not very knowledgeable... manager was plain rude when we were dealing with the "reservation fee"

Parking: Pure HELL! THey have a small "loading" area right in front of the door good for 3 cars. The place is always used by somebody including the car that one of the employee parks there. Once you find a spot there, you have to get the front desk to call Valet ($18+tax pernight) and they would pick up the car. While you normally don't care how long it takes them to pick the car up, you usually care how long it takes them to bring it back. For us, it ranged from 15 min (which is semi-acceptable) to 40 min, which is plain wrong. For some reason, the valet people get upset when after 40 min of getting the car back to you they don't get tips. While hotel is not handling the valet operations, they do no effort to attempt to speed up the process or consider different arrangements.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2010

I have never written a review about a hotel, or anything else for that matter, but I felt compelled to do so after this fantastic hotel experience. The Greenview is located on Washington (less than a block away from the pedestrian street mall at Lincoln Road), right at the edge of the so-called Art Deco district. It puts you in excellent walking distance to any of the attractions, but you are well out of earshot from any of the loud music or other street noise that might otherwise disturb a good night's sleep. The art deco style of the hotel itself is pure and minimalist, just as it should be, since "less is more" with this type of architecture. The foyer and reception area is spacious and flooded with natural light. In the mornings, guests can have their coffee, bagels, croissants and assorted other pastries on the quaint hedge-surrounded terrace with nice bird's nest-patterned chairs and tables. The hotel is tastefully decorated with genuine square-format black-and-white photographs (palm tree motifs) in the hallways and foyer which fit in perfectly with the overall decor. The bedrooms themselves are small, but very comfortable, especially the bed and super-fluffy pillows. Designer French pivot lamps provided great lighting for bedtime reading, and the ceiling-projected alarm clock was a neat gimmick. But what really made this stay for me was the absolutely fantastic service provided by the hotel staff, and in particular Maria, who worked the morning shift and kept the breakfast ammenities in tiptop shape. She commanded a perfect use of English and Spanish. I have rarely since such perfect bilingualism. This woman made us feel so welcomed and so "at home" a tear nearly came to my eye when it came time to leave. I hope to return to South Beach next year and I will not hesitate to call up the Greenview to book another stay, and I am optimistic that Maria will be there to make us feel right at home. Plus, we were told the hotel is under new ownership and major improvements are planned. If you want to be within walking distance of all the South Beach attractions but without the hype, this is your hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
GREEN1671, Guest Relations Manager at Greenview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2010

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your experience with us. Your review exemplifies the Greenview Hotel experience: A combination of great service in a serene atmosphere . We hope to see you again soon!!