“Room was ok”

Beach Paradise Hotel
Ranked #199 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed April 25, 2014

its in a great location!! thats the big plus, the beach is across the street.. not the nicest room could use an update, there was a noise going the whole time i was there i think it was an air conditioner. and there was no temp control in the room, it was very cold.. better cold than hot.. had to wait very long for valet to get car each time. there are irons but no ironing boards, when we went down to ask for one they simply said if its not in the room we don't have it..oh and the extra blanket stunk!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I valet parked out front of the hotel and we where told $40. When we came back to get our car the men out front said $200, We only had $100 cash. The main thug Luis stayed by the car with my husband and his helper escorted me in to CJ Crab shack to the ATM. He stood there with me until I withdrew the money. Then he escorted me back to the car where Luis and another gentleman where blocking me from entering the passenger door until I gave him another $100. At this point we where surrounded by four American Car Parks employees. My husband yelled just pay him and get in the car. Then Luis had the balls to ask why we didn't t tip them. During this time another valet customer that was parked in front of our car came back. I rolled down my window and asked them how much they where charged, they replied $40. Then Luis came running over saying that they where staying at the hotel. They said that they weren't saying at the hotel. Then I called the hotel and told the woman that answered the phone what had happened. She was shock. She exclaimed, "$200, it's never that much." She put me on hold, then got back on the phone and said that $200 is the street rate if you aren't staying at the hotel. How do these people sleep at night. What a scam. Beware!!!!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Viana9469
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I stayed here with my husband and it wasn't bad at all. I had the beach right there, the action was right there and I had a great view. They do need to update the rooms a little bit but other than that it was great. People have to understand that this is a historic building and they have to appreciate the finer things in life. The elevator is a great example of historic, it is old and it has push buttons with an electric gate, this to me was pretty cool and I had no problems when I stayed here. Valet was 30.00 a night but it wasn't that bad, valet took my bags to the 3rd floor when I got there and when I left. I literally took my car from the valet about 3 times a night at no extra charge and that is a plus, Valet were polite and fast. Front desk were not bad but the only down side were the unannounced 200.00 deposit. Other than that I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mayte G
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Location was great and service at front desk was fine, but that was about it. The valet parking ($30/day) took over 30 min to bring our car with us waiting outside - it would have been easier and faster to just go pick it up ourselves. The toilet wouldn't flush well and we had to leave it dirty and flush again after coming back from breakfast. Needless to say anything about the elevator... We only used it because of the bags, but it only goes to the 2nd floor and it barely closes - looks like a horror movie elevator.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in December of 2013 and was less than impressed. The hotel itself is outdated and needs to be renovated to keep up to safety and cleanliness standards.

Strike one - I was given a room on the third floor which was not a big deal until I was informed that the elevator only goes to the second floor. From the second floor I needed to find the stairs and make my way up to the 3rd floor. This would normally be well and fine by me except for the fact that my wife and I were in South Beach for a few nights before we were leaving on a cruise. That being said, we had two large (and heavy) luggage bags that needed to be hauled up their dangerously thin and slick stairs.

Strike two – The room smelt of mildew or mold and looked as if it hadn’t seen any kind of disinfectant or cleanser in the better part of a century. The “cleaning” method was a gentle wipe down with a dry rag and MAYBE some water. I could go on, but saying that it was hard to feel clean in this room in an understatement.

Strike three – I had a rental car and was informed by the staff that if I purchased the daily parking rate ($30 per day) that I could leave the car with the valet and come and go as I pleased. Everything was fine until a few weeks ago I received a letter from my rental car company saying that I was given 3 parking tickets while in South Beach. Upon closer inspection, all three infractions occurred at 600 Ocean Drive, which was the address of the Beach Paradise Hotel. In total, with the rental car handling fees and county of Miami-Dade tickets, I had to pay $210 dollars. I immediately brought this to the attention of the staff to which I was instructed to write them my complaint and include the tickets and proof of payment. The staff member that I spoke to said that they would bring it to the attention of the valet company and come to a resolution. Sadly, I wrote the email and still have not heard back from the hotel. Not even a return email saying they received my complaint and that they planned to rectify the situation.
In my opinion, I felt as if I should be returned the $60 in daily parking charges if they were not planning on assisting me in getting the $210 refunded by the valet company. The hotel/valet are as close to thieves in my estimation and I plan on re-posting this review in every travel or review forum possible. All in all, the hotel was awful, the staff was less than helpful, and the valet was a bunch of bandits looking for their next tip. Save yourself the time, money, and headaches by avoiding this hotel!!! If I could give this hotel a negative star I would.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank OaklandAs1984
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Hotel is in a GREAT location for price. Do not stay if you are looking for nice accomadations. Tub was filthy, mold on ceiling, poor lit room, old furniture, room was FREEZING and staff would not turn it off. Housekeeping didnt bring towels or fix beds until 5pm daily if at all... need I saw more. Great location though.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed February 26, 2014

This place is not bad if you are looking for a cheap accommodation. The room was clean with a decent king size bed and chairs to sit in. Our view from the second floor was of the parking lot so we kept the window curtains closed.
There's a safe to keep your things, an ironing board, and hair dryer.
I wish there was a way to control the air conditioning, we had to manually close the vent to stop the freezing cold air.
Also, if the hotel is reading this, please fix the doorknob for the bathroom for room 220! We had to push the door hard to close and open.
The location is perfect, close to shopping and right across from the beach.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends