“Lovely service. Fantastic lobby. Lots of Children.”

The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach
Ranked #30 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 23, 2010

This was my first stay at a Ritz Carlton and my expectations were pretty high based on other luxury hotels I had visited. The lobby is impressive and stunning upon entry. To keep it short - we were treated like gold at check-in and all through our stay. Everyone is pleasant and the staff is shockingly genuine. I have never felt like hotel employees meant what they said more than at the RC in South Beach.
We asked for an upgrade at check-in and were given a partial ocean view room. We could see the entire ocean and the pool. We were definately there off-season and it was obvious by the other guests (lots of children & riff raff). The rooms were decent size with enormous bathrooms. The decor seemed like a basic marriott. I did love having 2 sinks in the marble bathroom and such a large space to share with another person.
The pool area is lovely but it wasn't as impressive as I would expect from the Ritz. The location is excellent as you can walk to the beach, Ocean Drive, other famous SoBe hotels and Lincoln Road is right outside your door. We enjoyed the outdoor bar down by the beach for lunch. Their tapas and sangrias were out of this world. Order the watermelon sangria and the chicken under a brick flatbread.
Overall we had a lovely stay but in terms of it feeling like a 5 star luxury experience that blew my mind away . . . it did not. I would stay again for the location, service and access to the beach but only if it was not more $$$ than a W or one of the other famous art decos (Delano, Shore Club etc). My friend and I did a long weekend away and we really enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 23, 2010

I stayed at the Ritz with a bachelorette party this past weekend. The service was wonderful, clean rooms, good food, extremely friendly staff, etc. The Ritz made you feel welcome and were very accomodating. We got a decent deal because it is the off season. Worth every penny. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed September 19, 2010

We have stayed at this hotel serveral times since it opened. It is a relatively new hotel in a renovated older building. if you don't look at the outside of the property, you would never feel that it was a renovation. The interiors are well done, except for a few small issues where it is obvious they did the best they can do with the original space...and would have done differently with new construction.

The location is a little bit of a walk from Ocean Drive and the main restaurant and people watching area, but you have three choices of paths to get there...the beach, the beach "boardwalk" (actually a very nice brick walkway along the beach) or the street. All can be an interesting walk and we highly recommend trying all three.

The hotel is directly across the street from the Lincoln Road shopping, restaurant and entertainment district...which we don't find as attractive as Ocean Drive, but for those who enjoy this area, the location can't be better.

The only small disappointment we had was that it took 2 hours and four phone calls to get our luggage to our room after it was promised at check in in 10 minutes. Another comment...we stayed here this time in September and received a fantastic off season rate...but so did everyone else and the typical guest was not a typical Ritz guest as a result of the lower cost. For example, the pool area was much more loud with much more of a party atmosphere than is normal for a Ritz and for this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2010

Having driven to the Fontainebleau and had a less than thrilling experience (rude valet attendant/manager, surly reception desk) we discovered a problem with our booking. As we had seen enough of the Fontainebleau in the first 20 minutes we hot footed it to the Ritz Carlton where the service was excellent, the staff accommodating and the Ritz full-on experience still shining brightly. We are back at our desks today plotting another visit to our favourite hotel chain and with The Ritz Carlton South Beach being up there with our favourites. This hotel with it's beach/pool service and lovely rooms with great staff is a brilliant place, close enough to Ocean Drive to walk there but far enough away to relax.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2010

Let me keep this short and succinct - My wife and daughters (4 & 20) stayed here for 16 days from 26th August. If it were poor I'd be the first to review it as such. The fact is that this hotel is every bit as fabulous as any other City Ritz Carlton I've stayed at. The staff are outstanding and there was little to fault. Of the complainants below, they sincerely must have been staying at a different hotel to the one we were at. Of one reviewers suggestion of "tiny rooms", I confirm that the reviewer must have cataracts in his eyes. The rooms are massive. Indeed, let me be clear that I did have an ocean front suite (so I expected a large room but I also bought the cheapest city~view single room for my daughter and it was sincerely massive with a fabulous bathroom. I'm at an age when I only stay at 5 star properties and i hope this review is read in that context.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank JeffeyS
Reviewed September 9, 2010

Fantastic service. Even though our stay was short, staff remembered us by name. The room was nice. This hotel was decorated more modern than other Ritz hotels we have stayed at. The beach was beautiful and the views were gorgeous. We were upgraded without asking! A perfect Labor Day get- a -way!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2010

I had stayed at the Ritz Carlton SB for 4 nights. We went Sunday-Thursday, so the hotel was not that crowded which made for a very relaxing stay. The service exceeded my expectations. The service from the Doormen, to the pool staff was very good. We had paid for a standard room on a low floor with no view, and we actually received a room w/ a view of the city on the 7th floor. The room was much bigger than what we had expected, and it was very clean...the bathroom was amazing. The hotel lobby was beautiful, and the gym was nice enough. I ate at the Bistro LR poolside for lunch which was pretty nice, the food was just OK. We bumped into a couple celebrities who were staying at the hotel the same time as us which was also really cool to see. The only drawback about the pool is that some of the frozen drinks fm the bar go for $17, which is a bit steep, 18% gratuity and tax on top of that too. The location of the hotel is great, everything on lincoln road is in walking distance. The hotel is also right on the beach. You have a wonderful view of the ocean fm the infiniti pool.

Overall, if i were to come back to South Beach i would defenitely stay at either the Ritz Carlton or the Fontainbleau. We went to the FB for dinner on two occassions and the hotel looked amazing. It had a much different feel than the ritz carlton...it is almost 5 times the size.

I would definetely recomment the Ritz to anybody looking to have a relaxing vacation w/ impeccable service in South Beach.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple