“Great Stay at the Ritz - Good Service, Great Food, Tech Friendly”

The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach
Ranked #33 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York, NY
“Great Stay at the Ritz - Good Service, Great Food, Tech Friendly”
Reviewed September 19, 2006

After ditching the Delano (which was a horrible and overpriced place to stay), we went a couple of blocks to the Ritz. Hallelujah. Good service, a comfortable and spacious room and a spacious and lovely bathroom with a tub made us instantly glad we had made the switch. The hi-speed internet worked well, the food in the restaurant was delicious. The pool is nice, good location. All around a great value and a great place to stay in South Beach.

• Liked — Great service, classic, great food, internet availability, room size
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay here
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank xgirlgo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
maryland
Reviewed September 17, 2006

I will never stay at another South Beach Hotel again...This place is wonderful. From the moment we arrived we were treated like a princess. My best friend and I came down for a Girls Vacation..we arrived very early...9am. We called ahead of time and spoke to Sebastian (one of the many wonderful people there) and informed him of our early arrival and he made sure that our room was ready upon arrival. Everyone there is just wonderful. The pool and beach staff were constantly making sure we didn't need anything else. Marlene and Christina at the spa were wonderful...best pedicure I have ever had. Bruce (Director of Activities) was awesome. Made sure we had dinner reservations...directions and VIP access to major clubs..told us were to go for our "spare of the moment" tattoos. Harry and Rodrigo were sooo good to us at the pool and beach. We hardly even left the hotel. Breakfast and lunch by the pool. It is really pricey there but you can't put a price on excellent service. The rooms, including the bathrooms, were spacious and clean. Overall...the best experience I have ever had in South Beach!!!!

• Liked — ROOMS AND SERVICE
  • Disliked — THAT WE HAD TO GO HOME
  • Tips/Secrets — THEY ADD 18% GRATUITY ON EVERYTHING..GET TO THE BEACH EARLY ON THE WEEKENDS
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
8 Thank disneyfamily
London
Reviewed September 15, 2006

I stayed at the Ritz Carlton in South Beach with 2 friends for a girlie holiday and was amazed at the level of service we received, after some of the reviews I had read. We had initially booked a deluxe room, but decided to upgrade to a club level room when we saw the kind of view we had and the kind we could have! The club level rooms are large and spacious with balconies that either overlook the pool / ocean or the city. We actually preffered the city view and would definitely stay there again. The access to the club lounge with complimentary drinks and food definitely made the upgrade worthwhile. The service in the club lounge was excellent too, especially from Priscilla and Anna-Maria. I also agree with another review on this site, the attendant called O'Neil by the pool was great and made us feel very welcome! The only downside with the service was the lady who answered the Guest Service calls, everytime I asked her something she would put me on hold and never return!! On the whole though the Ritz C is a lovely hotel in a great location. I'm sure I will go there again soon!

• Liked — The Club Lounge and Location
  • Disliked — The front reception was too dark and the business centre shut at 4pm!
  • Tips/Secrets — Book a club level room, which includes breakfast and 4 other food presentaions a day!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
3 Thank RTG3
Louisiana
Reviewed September 10, 2006

We had a short visit at this hotel at the end of a 10 day vacation and we wished we had stayed longer. The location is great....right on Lincoln and close to the Mall, but still peaceful.

We were very early (and tired) checking in and to our surprise our room was ready. We were upgraded to a suite with a balcony overlooking the pool and beach. It was quite lovely, clean and with the standard Ritz Carlton amenities.

From the time we arrived the service was spot-on. Almost too much so! They couldn't do enough for us...front desk, concierge and pool service was far above average even though the hotel was fairly crowded. A lot of extras were given throughout our stay and we were pampered and spoiled by the time we left. A special thanks to Rony and O'Neil....truly genuine, caring people that should be cloned and send to all Ritz properties.

We'll certainly go back to the Ritz SOBE when be visit Miami again.

• Liked — The large rooms
2 Thank traveledwell
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 7, 2006

It took me a while to type this up because this really is one of my favorite hotel brands but I hope the constructive criticism is helpful.

Let me say first that this is a fabulous location. You are close enough to everything you’d want to get to (including Lincoln Rd shopping) but not right on Ocean and its busyness. The hotel itself is very beautiful. It’s chic and quite SOBE-esqe. And the views of the ocean are amazing. The pool scene is great! I normally am way too hyper to be able to sit still for 15 minutes but we didn’t leave the pool for days. We enjoyed mimosa’s every morning (T.Y. Reconnect Package) and a fabulous buffet spread for breakfast. The poolside frozen mojito’s were delicious. I also really liked my lunch at DiLido Beach Club.

I was SO excited to come to this hotel. I’d kept my eye on the property for over two years before it opened and waited patiently through various delays and set backs. Then I got so busy that I wasn’t able to visit and every time I tried to make a reservation they were “fully committed”. So imagine my delight to find availability for the 4th of July weekend at a very wonderful rate that included parking (say hallelujah, this is South Beach) and daily buffet breakfast. I wanted to pinch myself. I picked up the phone and called the girlfriend most likely to join me at the very last minute (translation: spoiled and self indulgent enough as we bought our tickets and booked the package the day before we left). In less than 36 hours from ticket and hotel reservations we were raiding the mini-bar for cocktail fixing’s.

And less than 24 hours after our arrival I was so disillusioned and so rightly indignant and upset that I’d gotten the okay from management to be released from my reservation early and was ready to check out and go elsewhere.

Service? This hotel has some serious service and consistency issues. We decided to relax by the pool Sunday morning and were basically ignored. There were about 6 or 7 guests at the pool and about 5 pool staff. Only one woman got any attention, including having her umbrella opened for her over her pool chair when it began to rain. We looked about expectantly but couldn’t get anyone’s attention. After sitting there in surprise for a few minutes we ran for dry land.

But ok, hey it’s early, no big deal and I’d heard the pool service was hit or miss. Not going to ruin my quick getaway right? So on to my breakfast… where my server ignored me and didn’t offer me coffee, water or juice until I was nearly done my meal and my girlfriend joined me at the table. This was after she serviced the tables directly adjacent to me on 3 sides.

But it’s okay, the food was good and I had more important things to do, like trying to get a few minutes of sun and some shopping in before we went to a family function. My friend took a bath (loved the bath salts in the room, when they were there) while I caught some rays. Then we were on the road.

Six hours later we came back tired, sweaty and ready to refresh ourselves and take a nap before we headed to Mansion. Only to find that the tub was dirty (twice daily housekeeping, hmmm) as were the bath mats. No problem, I’ll take a quick shower so let’s just order some extra towels.

Now I know enough about this whole hotel thing to realize you don’t wait until the end of your stay to note problems or displeasure so I called the manager. And my friend decided we would definitely need some beverages so she began to mix some – only to realize all our glasses weren’t replaced and the ones that were present were dirty (lipstick marks and no not ours.) And as the towels arrived they offered to send someone to clean the tub. Great, but since the towels you sent are dirty could you send her with some fresh ones please?

I can take a lot of things, but I cannot do dirt. No dirty bath tubs, or mats, or towels, or glasses. No.

This all happened in the space of the two hours I was supposed to use to get some rest. I was so frazzled and upset (and hot, sweaty and tired) that I began to search for occupancy elsewhere. After some financial adjustment and many, many apologies I agreed to try another night. The manager explained that they were still having major issues getting their staff up to snuff as a “new property”. New – they’ve been open for about 3 years!

I must say I appreciate the effort they made to make it up to us. Things got better, not great but better. The financial adjustment was big enough to make up for the hit or miss service, but I will never forget the dirt.

I had other friends who visited this weekend and they had similar issues.

Concierge? Eh, I heard from some friends I made during my stay that Charles was wonderful, but we didn’t have the pleasure of dealing with him. I guess I was spoiled by my last visit to Miami and the concierge at the Four Seasons. He really made sure we were aware of the club and restaurant scenes and called ahead for us, gave us passes or made reservations where appropriate. That’s what I want the concierge of my hotel to do. I can find out all this info on my own, I’m relying on their relationships to take the experience to the next level without my having to handle the nitty gritty details.

Would I go back? Probably, because the location and the pool can’t be beat. But I’d just as soon try the Delano or the Shore Club instead of being the normally brand loyal gal that I am.

• Liked — Location and the pool
  • Disliked — Service and cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
8 Thank NYDC
Toronto
Reviewed September 4, 2006

My husband and I just got back from 3 nights at the Ritz Carlton South Beach. For us, the hotel was perfect. It had that South Beach hipness without having to sacrifice on room comfort like at the Delano, Raleigh, etc. We booked the Lanai Pool View room which was a big room with a large balcony and good soundproofing. The location of the hotel is very good, being a couple of blocks from the Lincoln road shops, less than a block from the Delano, and just a few blocks from the restaurants on Ocean Drive. We spent most of our time at the beach instead of the pool and had no problem getting lounge chairs and an umbrella even though the hotel was full. We loved the beach! We had the breakfast buffet every morning which we thought had a good variety. And we also enjoyed the hotel bar each night before going out for dinner. We will definitely stay at the Ritz on our next trip to South Beach!

• Liked — The beach
  • Disliked — Dinner
  • Tips/Secrets — Rates in Sept are about 70% less than in Feb
3 Thank Vickie
MO
Reviewed September 4, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Ritz-SoBe for a much needed long-weekend over Labor Day. All in all, a very good experience. Prior to the Ritz, the only other Miami hotel that we had been to was the Mandarin Oriental, and that being a few years ago. A few comments on various aspects of the hotel. For reference, my wife and I are both in our late twenties, and pretty frequent travelers.

Check-in: Fine, quick and friendly, and our room was ready despite checking in at noon. Bags arrived in our room within minutes.

Room: Club floor, no balcony or ocean view for us. The room itself was quite generously sized, large bathroom as well. Separate shower and toilet rooms, double vanities, Bulgari toiletries...biggest complaint was the dim lighting in the bathroom. Room was nice, really nice bedding, tv was a bit small and outdated. Housekeeping was fine, no major issues.

Pool/Beach: The pool area is pretty small and crowded, with lots of kids and self-important, loud-cell-phone talking New Yorkers (they should ban cell phones from the pool/beach) You need to get there early to get a chair. A lot of pool attendants and frequent drink service. We found the beach to be a much better alternative - more quiet and relaxing, though drink service appeared to be really slow.

Club lounge: Terrific benefit, really a good value. Breakfast consisted of great fresh fruit, cereal, yogurt, cold cuts and a bunch of croissants/pastries. Lunch had fresh salads, a few sandwiches, and great cookies, along with champagne/wine. The evening snack had some interesting hor d'heurves, cheeses, full self-service bar, etc. Never made afternoon tea or evening cordials.

Service: Generally very good, but not uniformly excellent.

Overall: Great locatin on the beach and at the intersection of Colllins/Lincoln - easy walking distance to shopping and other restaurants/nightlife (we went to Vix and Blue Door) Ambience and service aren't to the level of the Mandarin, but the Ritz may win overall for location.

• Liked — Club level, proximity to beach
4 Thank stlterp