“Must Stay at Ritz Carlton South Beach”

The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach
Ranked #31 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 24, 2005

My husband and I vacationed in KeyWest/Miami/SouthBeach areas from May 27-June 4. Sad to say, but the highlight of the entire week's trip was our 2 night stay at the Ritz! It wasn't the beach, sightseeing or top notch restaurants. We've become very picky travellers after our stays at the Fairmont, Four Seasons, and Mandarin Oriental. This Ritz is definitely ranked up there! Well worth the price (esp since we got a promotion package booked through the hotel's website). Awesome location on Collins Ave & Lincoln Rd, just 2 blocks away from all the restaurants and cafes on Lincoln Rd Mall. Beachfront property. Luxurious, modern, and classic furniture (think Barbara Barry)-- not the floral, soft pastels that you might expect to see in Miami. Standard room and bathrooms are large. Separate tub and marbled shower stall. Breakfast buffet was very good, a bit pricey at $25/pp but awesome array of hot/cold selections which included fresh berry shakes and made to order omelets. Entire hotel's staff exhibited excellent, 6 star hotel quality customer service. There was a reservation and room mishap in the beginning, but the staff remedied our inconveniences very timely and well. Everyone we dealt with from maintenance, housekeeping, restaurant, pool, spa, concierge, frontdesk, valet, to the valets/bellmen who first greeted our arrival were attentive, courteous, and really went out of their way to ensure our stay was perfect. Despite the reservation/room problem which I did not expect to experience, the RitzCarlton South Beach would be the only reason we'd go back to KeyWest/Miami/South Beach!

6  Thank Tweets
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach

Reviewed June 20, 2005

My daughter and I just returned from a weekend at the Ritz Carlton South Beach. It was fabulous! The staff was very friendly and accomodating ... our room (oceanview with balcony on the club level) was incredible ... the food delicious -- my daughter loved the Americana fries that we ordered from pool service! The hotel is perfectly located on a beautiful beach ... close (but not TOO close) to the craziness of Ocean Drive. Children were very welcome here. All in all, a great weekend getaway!

Stayed: June 2005
5  Thank hpliz
Reviewed June 19, 2005

we just returned from a family vacation in south beach. Before leaving, we could not decide whether to go to the four seasons or stay at the ritz. we have stayed at 14 other four seasons hotels worldwide. we decided to stay at the ritz because of its location. we could not be more satisfied. the room, service were excellent. definetely, the best hotel in south beach. it is at par with all other ritz hotels we have stayed at. the only gripe, which is small, I had was with the service by the pool. stayed on the club level. well worth it. would recommend it. the location can not be beat. we got babysitters through the hotel and went out almost every night. we walked to all the places. overall, a fantastic hotel.

2  Thank azijack
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 11, 2005

My husband and I traveled with our 20 month old son for a week to this resort. We had a wonderful experience. We stayed there through American Express Fine Resorts program and were upgraded to a one bedroom suite, which was a great size and beautiful. We had breakfast at the hotel every morning, since it was included in the package. Every staff member went out of their way to give our son special attention. I would have never expected this in South Beach, since it is not your typical family vacation destination. Not only did they interact with him, they brought him toys and food specially prepared for him. Even the valets and doormen made an enormous fuss over him when we came back to the hotel. The location is perfectly situated on Lincoln Road, so there are numerous restaurant options, as well as shopping and people watching. The only minus was the litter on the beach. The hotel provides food service on the beach and it appears that they do not give enough attention to the debris left behind by the guests.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 7, 2005

Ok I'm going to try to make this as brief as possible, but because I have so many wonderful things to say about this hotel I don't know if it will be.
First off I want to say this...THE COMPLAINERS WILL ALWAYS COMPLAIN!!!!! As far as I am concerned, if I'm going on vacation to nit-pick everything, I can stay home & do that...Vacations are for relaxing...LIGHTEN UP A LITTLE PEOPLE!!!
With that being said, that doesn't mean that I have low expectations, I just don't like to sweat the small stuff. Yes, there were children in the pool, big deal. Yes, the maids had their carts in the hallways, big deal, walk around them. Yes, the waiter by the pool took 10 minutes to take my drink order...but you're laying by a beautiful pool right on the ocean in SOUTH BEACH...RELAX! Everyone I encountered in the hotel was as friendly as could be. My boyfriend and I must have said hello 500 times all week because everyone we passed said "hello, how are you." Check-in took 5 minutes & we were upgraded to an oceanfront, club level room!!!! (this was after paying a very very very low rate to begin with!) Our room was absoluutely beautiful & spacious with a balcony overlooking the pool & the beach. The bathroom was very big but my only minor complaint was that we were put in a handicapped room so the shower head was placed very low on the wall, but it was removable so no big deal. The maids did an excellent job-everything was spotless & restocked everyday. Turndown service came everynight. The pool area was beautiful, very clean. We had no problems getting chairs & they were set up with coushins & towels right away. I could go on & on about how great this hotel was..I even intend on writing a letter about how exceptional the service was, I was that impressed. (By the way..the location is perfect also...next to the Delano & Loews...5 min walk to the "heart of Ocean Drive" & right on the corner of Lincoln Rd)
South Beach could be a seedy place, but if you know what to expect before you go, you'll have a great time! Good Luck!

11  Thank catee11
Reviewed June 5, 2005

I was sorry to hear about the last person's review, we just came back from a really wonderful trip to the Ritz-Carlton. The staff were amazingly helpful, we had a beautiful room on the 11th floor and access to the concierge club, which is really worth it, as you can stop by and have breakfast there, snacks for lunch or in the afternoon, and drinks in the evening. Really sweet and helpful staff there too. As we're travelling with a small child, it can often be a little challenging, but the Ritz staff could not have been sweeter to him. I have been travelling for many years and stay at hotels all over the world for business and pleasure and I'm extremely fussy, and I can tell you that this is a top notch hotel.

We didn't experience the same type of service at the Delano, where we went for lunch one day. Theres no ramp access to that hotel, and noone even bothered to help us up the steps with our stroller.

The only downside at the Ritz was the size of the crib which was delivered to our room for our 15 month old son. We were told at the desk that they only supplied this size crib, they are really tiny, couldn't be much bigger than 30 inches long !!!! Eventually, they did find the right crib for us. So if you are travelling with your child and need a crib, make sure to call and emphasize the type you need !

2  Thank fox12
Reviewed June 5, 2005

Great but not amazing. We spent 5 nights on the Club floor and were very impressed by the Club lounge and its staff. The five daily food presentations were all of very high quality and we actually ended up cancelling four of our dinner reservations as the lounge food was so tempting that we ate too much. The Club floor staff is very courteous and personal. We had a very comfortable big room with a city view. We loved the Bulgari toiletries, the thick towels and the wonderful bed. The location of the hotel couldn't be better. The gym is very well equipped but the space as such is not very interesting. We were very unimpressed by the pool area which is just a "boring" rectangular pool surrounding by hundreds of lounge chairs. It all looks and feels very cheap. However, I do realise that it's an old hotel and, therefore, it is limited what Ritz Carlton can do to it. We ended up spending most of the time on the beach instead, so the poor pool facilities didn't really matter much. We will go back to RC South Beach and will definitely opt for a Club floor room.

• Stayed: May 2005