“Very nice, but some drawbacks”

The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach
Ranked #32 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Wellesley, Massachusetts
“Very nice, but some drawbacks”
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Great location on south beach, nice property, great staff with nice touches like the treats at the pool. Our room in general was good, not great. The bathroom was missing nobs on the vanity and the nob holes were just covered over with plastic inserts. The vanity and doors also looked a bit banged up, but we easily overlooked the tired look which was well outweighed by the service. The only other draw back was the public bathrooms seemed to always be overrun by people just coming off the beach and not hotel guests even though the gate to the beach was key access. My wife went in once and found a family who clearly were not guests changing from being on the beach. Needless to say she was a bit uncomfortable. Breakfast buffet is great, as for at night, this is definitely a quiet spot. If you are looking for nightlife try other spots. For us this was great sine we were looking for r&r and not the crazy nights.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jamison, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My husband surprised me by taking me here for my 40th birthday. Unlike other reviews my experience with the hotel service was outstanding. Everyone asking how they can help and always smiling. The lobby is sleek and modern and the rooms seem updated to me. The room was a little tight and needed more outlets but I'm sure we had a lower end room since we weren't going to spend our time in the room. My husband wouldn't let me see the bill so couldn't tell you the value. I slept very comfortably until 10am every morning. The pool is basic with lots of people to help you immediately to set up chairs and umbrellas. Pool water was perfect temp. The beach was a few steps from the hotel. Sand was clean, soft and water clear, turqoise blue. My husband and I immediately jumped in the ocean and floated in the water with each other. Perfect and romantic!!!! We could have swam forever. It is unfortunate that you have to pay for umbrellas. We enjoyed a walk on the paved path between the hotels and beach. I saw many people riding bikes. So, my recommendation is this a place for couples not families. Many people are here to party. That is South Beach. Lots of women without tops on the beach and gstrings. At the pool there were many people drinking sometimes groups of people. Nothing roudy but definitely drinking a focus. We had a great time and went out for dinner every night. We could walk to everything... Bazzaar for tappas and Osteria for Italian. Go around the corner for a bakery and not pay for a costly breakfast. Must see clubs Delano (dreamy, bar, upscale, modern), Sky club (dreamy outside bar with couches, beds and lanterns) and Mangos for just crazy, relaxed fun. On Sundays there is a farmer's market on Lincoln street with interesting fruits, spices and latin foods. Along Lincoln street are many restaurants and shopping. Great place to people watch. Lots of fun

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Garden City, New York, United States
Reviewed October 3, 2013

What do you say when a hotel does so many things well- doormen, room, view, breakfast, service staff yet...
Here is the problem- on a not very busy day, with fairly low occupancy, no less then 5 staff members knocked on my door between 10AM and 11:30- all asking when i expected to vacate the room. Not the best way to leave a positive feeling. But compounding an error, when I sought to mention my experience , there was no one available - not the Front Desk manager, not the Asst GM, no one. The Front desk staff didn't think to ask me why or what it was about, another shortfall... and even though I left a phone number, i never heard from anyone.

Room Tip: Obviously facing east and higher the better
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Ritz Carlton is one of my favorite hotels of all time!! The rooms are absolutely gorgeous and the staff is very friendly and always smiling :) The Ritz Carlton in South Beach is my favorite. The highlight of this particular hotel is the location. Its next to the beach and really close to the Lincoln Road Mall

• Stayed September 2013
Park City, Utah
Reviewed September 30, 2013

The Ritz Carlton management should do a extensive revamp with regards to the hotel in South Beach. Aside from the location and I mean only the location the hotel is sub par by almost any standard. The service is non existent and incompetent in all areas. They do smile quite but not much else. Every thing in the hotel is dated. The decor and especially the technology needs an update. They had to break into my room to let me in!!!! Took over an hour and was like watching a three stooges episode.

With so many choices on South Beach . I urge to choose ANY other.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank DeerValley55
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Excellent by all means.
Good service and guidance were always available, fully bilingual staff, facilities are beautiful and comfortable.
Located close to the beach, walking distance from Ocean Drive and restaurants.
Personal Thoughts:
We all learn to know our children and understand their feelings towards their world, everything is a discovery:
During check in, our two years old daughter was running at the lobby and an employee surprised her with a gift, a duck.
She looked first for our approval and then accepted the toy, then she walked and explored the lobby, elevator and commented about the smell and colors....in her own words.
When entering our room, she yelled out: HOLAA CASAA.......(it took us by surprise).....at her crib she found a teddy bear that we named: Ritzy..
Next morning, at breakfast; a cup of fruits was serve to her and another tinny toy (an octopus) was given to her...after some time by the pool and going back to the room, once again she said "HOLA CASAA"..

Most important to us was the excellent service,....the highlight was that every time we arrived to our room my baby daughter was yelling out: "HOLA CASA".....it is one of those moments in life that we will forever treasure, she felt at home and her happiness was worth the time at the Ritz.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank YuriCorrales2013
georgia
Reviewed September 25, 2013

The Ritz Carlton hotel provides the perfect back drop for south beach. The hotel is directly on the beach and you are only 1 block from experiencing the international flava of Miami. Lincoln road is truly the heart beat of south beach and is full of shops, sights, and dining.

The Ritz Carlton just finished undergoing an interior renovation and the décor is reflective of the style and culture of Miami. Kudo's to the Ritz for investing in the property. We stayed on the Club Level and as always the Ladies and Gentlemen of the Ritz exceeded our expectation.

Riddle me this. What is large, white, comfortable, genuine, and delicious? The Ritz-Carlton South Beach.

Enjoy:-)

Room Tip: Book a room on the club level. You will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple