“Not the Service that RC is known for”

The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach
Ranked #31 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We have stayed at several RC and this one would rate the lowest. They worked hard to get us a nice room but then forgot we were there. The first evening no turndown or towels, the next day we finally called at 3:30 because our room had not been made up, and we had been out since 9am. The last day we were to have a late, 1pm check out only to have to answer the door 4 different times and explain to staff that we had the late checkout.

Room Tip: The higher the better. We had a nice corner room facing away from the water (which would have been e...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights with my husband and 2 kids, age 6 and 4. Excellent service. Everybody smiled and asked if we were enjoying our stay or needed help. We've stayed at other Ritz-Carltons' Puerto Rico and Biscayne Bay. The service is consistent. Very family oriented. The beach was crowded but they had a nice little sand play area for the kids. Pool was very cool in temperature but the kids still enjoyed it. It was a nice relaxing time and everyone was friendly. The rhythm massage at the spa was fantastic. Would definitely stay here again. I was thankful that it was quiet, considering this was Spring break.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Lovely place, old style elegance. PERFECT service. All staff was very attentive. Costly food and drink. Paid $679 per night so it stings to pay $18 for a non-call or non alcoholic drink. 18% gratuity is always included. If money is no object - pack your bags!

Room Tip: we had a corner room (south side) over the pool on the 3rd floor and it was very quiet and very conv...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mms1957
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The place is beautiful - the lobby, the rooms, the restos, the spa, the beach and the pool side. In Miami, we usually stay at Ritz Key Biscayne, since we love the tennis and the feel of a far-away resort on its expansive grounds. This time we opted for Ritz SOBE for a short getaway. Again, the Ritz SOBE is very pretty, but the service - whether it's the doormen who are sometimes too busy checking out women to open doors for you, the slightly surly servers at the Bistro, or the housekeeping staff who were watching TV when we walked in and interrupted their "turn-down service" - it's not as impeccable as the service at Ritz Key Biscayne. As a footnote the sound of the live music by the pool side and in the lobby feels great in an otherwise quiet (by SOBE standards) hotel.

Room Tip: Room on floor 11 with a balcony had an outstanding view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TorontoJaneH
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Managment needs some training.
Great location, Great hands on front staff;
sad to have a heated discussion with an "Ashley" Manager with a very much wrong attitude towards customers in such a high offer market.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Traveling1971
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a beautiful property in a fantastic location. As one would expect, the prices are extremely high. I had a $25 salad and an ice tea that was $7. I expect it so it was no surprise, and the service was fantastic. Staff is wonderful, cannot do enough for you. The only complaint...rooms could use a little "clean up" (some mold in the shower, bathroom cabinet coming apart) and I was not a big fan of the spa. Small and cramped space with no water features or coed common area. That being said, we enjoyed this property very much. If you have the opportunity, definately go!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for a mini getaway and I just had to express my appreciation for the superior service we received during our stay. Before arriving I called and booked Spa services with an associate by the name of April. She was very informative when it came to the services offered and the facility access. Upon arrival at the hotel we were immediately greeted by the Valet attendants, one in particular, Gustavo, went above and beyond for us. He's truly a great asset to the hotel. He then escorted us to the front desk and we were greeted with a warm welcome by Moshe. Words can't begin to explain the amazing customer service we received from him. He smiled, engaged in conversation and he made us feel very welcomed. I can write an entire review on his outstanding customer service alone which is why he deserves a great deal of praise for his excellent customer service. Kuddos to you, Moshe for making our stay a great one. Upon receiving our room, which had an amazing ocean view by the way, we immediately went to the Spa to check in for our services. Vanessa was the associate at the desk at the time. She was NOT friendly. She seemed annoyed the entire check in process which made me and my partner very uncomfortable. Based on the other reviews I read about the poor Spa service, I’m sure she was the associate everyone was talking about. I ended up stopping the entire check in process and informed her that I will check in closer to my appointment time. (Secretly hoping someone else will be at the desk to check me in). I returned to the Spa closer to my appointment time and was greeted with a warm welcome by Cassandra. Her smile was like a ray of sunshine. She made me feel welcomed; she showed me around the facility and offered to be of assistance with any of my needs. I had a Ritz Carlton signature massage with a male therapist by the name of Scott. He was beyond amazing. I must say in all my years of getting massages, he was the best therapist I’ve ever had. I will definitely request him again in the future. We opted not to eat at the hotel being that there were other amazing restaurants on the strip. I want to give a special thanks to Girad at the pool for anticipating our needs and all of the staff on the beach. Overall we had an amazing time, we will definitely stay with the Ritz-Sobe again.

2  Thank Mel G