“Good hotel with some flaws”

The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach
Ranked #30 of 214 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed here for two nights after a week on business in Toronto. I arrived at about 1am after a delayed flight. Check-in was pretty quick at that time of night! The hotel is well-located, separated from the beach by a pedestrian path. Being on Lincoln Road, it is also close to the shops and restaurants of the pedestrianised section of Lincoln Road.

My room was on the club floor, although I didn't actually have club access with my room rate. The room was an ocean view with a balcony. It had two queen beds in it, which made it rather cramped. Furniture was OK, but the decor is getting a little shabby. I had problems getting power for my phone charger until I worked out that the outlet/socket was hanging out of the wall and I had to push it back in again.

The bathroom was a good size, with a proper sized bath, a separate shower cubicle and a separate cubicle for the toilet.

Bed and pillows were comfortable, although I noticed on the second night that the turndown service had turned down the wrong bed. Had I been doing it, I would probably have turned down both beds.

The biggest problem with the room is the interconnecting door into the next room. On the first morning, I could clearly hear the conversation of the couple next door. On the second morning, I heard rather an entertaining argument. On neither occasion were voices raised, yet I could hear everything very clearly. When I called the front desk, I was told that there were no rooms of this type without interconnecting doors, and anyway they hadn't really had complaints about noise coming through the interconnecting doors before (not generally the type of response that goes down well with me!). I did, however, get some hotel credit in compensation. Fortunately, I wasn't disturbed by any noise at night from next door.

I ordered room service breakfast on both mornings. The in-room dining cart/table thing was rather too large for the room, but the food was otherwise good. I had dinner in the restaurant on one night, by the pool. It wasn't busy, but the service was good, as was the food.

I think I would probably stay here again if I was in Miami Beach, although the interconnecting door issue is rather offputting.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Carlton79
Write a ReviewReviews (3,206)

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I visited just over a year ago for a girls getaway and after numerous issues - from a dirty room, poor spa service, a restaurant server that took milk from a table that a family had just vacated - rather gross! Then the service personnel offered to make up for each misstep but never came through - frankly it became a comedy of errors.

To his credit, the GM at the time reached out and offered a 2 night stay to help to remedy the disappointment. I received a very nice note and thought his gesture was appropriate and represented what I expected from a Ritz.

Well I just emailed the new GM, Michael Rock and not only did I not get a personal/friendly note back but was told by his assistant that I couldn't use the offer due to black out dates. Now under normal circumstances I could understand, but in this case, I planned on extending my stay and paying for the extra days - and remember I was given the offer because of poor service! And, I pointed out to his admin that based on their website, there was availability. Wouldn't they want my business? I guess not. No problem there are plenty of other luxury hotels in South Beach! Doesn't sound like Mr. Rock understands what the Ritz brand stands for.

3  Thank GreatFallsJersey
Reviewed January 29, 2013

This was our first visit to South Beach and our stay couldn't have been any more pleasant. This Ritz property is beautiful and in a great location. Loved the beach, which is very easily accessible from the hotel. The club level was a great option; It made check-in a breeze and the food and wine selections were excellent. Breakfast, poolside, was outstanding. We enjoyed the buffet each morning of our stay (included in a room package- otherwise, a bit pricey). Loved the coffee which came to the table in a French press. Dinner at Bistro OneLR was excellent. Loved the lobby bar and their specialty drinks and nightly live entertainment. We had a very nice room, huge marble bathroom with super soft towels.
Best part of our experience was the hotel staff. Every single person we encountered from the front desk to the beach staff was friendly, accommodating, and genuinely seemed to like their job and their coworkers. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Club level is the way to go.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DLiz
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We are tremendous fans of the Ritz Carlton, staying mostly at the Buckhead location and have been to South Beach many times but because of poor reviews on TA we have shied away from the Ritz South Beach. We stayed one night on the club level before our Christmas cruise.

We had a great stay; I can't think of anything that was not satisfactory. The customer service upon arrival and at check in was very friendly and courteous, taking us up to the the club level to orient us to the lounge and to our room. The food on the club level was delightful, even offering hot protein items for breakfast which is something Ritz Buckhead does not do. The spa services I received were fabulous, again pleasant staff. Pool attendants were attentive.

No complaints at all. Room clean and bathrooms large. Great views. Would stay here again on our next vaca to South Beach. Can't beat the location.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank cclisch
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I would like to say a BIG thank you to all for such an enjoyable stay at the Ritz Carlton, South Beach. All of you made my wife and I so welcome and were kind and helpful. I travel often to Miami and this has been the best experience to date.

As a well travelled individual let me tell you that your staff is one of the most professional, thorough, and courteous groups I’ve come along with. Each staff member has demonstrated a compelling desire to make our stay special and memorable. They follow up with detailed information on top of their performance, the desk, bell boys, housekeeping, beach and pool staff are outgoing, friendly, and thorough. This is, for me, the mark of a truly service-minded operation. By far, the reception at the VIP Lounge on Floor 10 is welcoming and friendly and I can’t think of a single negative. We look forward to visiting you again very soon.
Regards,

Room Tip: Floors 9 and 10
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank patrick_peru
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed in several RC properties and while the service was great overall, this hotel looks like a 3 star hotel.

The bad:

Very tired looking rooms in drastic need of an update. Didn't feel very clean.

HARD and very very uncomfortable bed.

Very dated lobby. Kind of weird smell throughout hotel.

Very crowded and mediocre pool. No chairs available and towels, etc. not changed throughout the day, so some abandoned chairs left dirty.

Mediocre and very expensive food in pool restaurant.

For me, location felt hectic and crowded. Some people might like that.

The good?

Excellent excellent young girl at the concierge desk. Need to find out her name to give her props. So sweet and recommended 2 fantastic restaurants (go to Ola!! So good).

Friendly beach service

Great service overall, in terms of friendliness, courtesy, saying hello,

Location is very central so walking distance to many restaurants, etc. Also right on the beach.

Overall? Could possibly be a nice hotel if they completely gutted it. Omg-at the bare minimum, please please get new mattresses and bedding! For $600 a night The value was not there for me. For the money I would much rather have stayed at the Mandarin Oriental.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank jillyp16
Reviewed January 27, 2013

This is truely "ladies and gentlemen taking care of ladies and gentlemen". Great hotel, the employees are attentive, offered great service, dedicated and take care of their guests. I will be back!!

Kim, Bobby, Marvin, the Room Attendants....these are just a few of the names that I am able to remember at this time. They made my stay an enjoyable and memorable one!! KUDOS to you "ladies and gentlemen...

Room Tip: PERFECT vacation spot!! This is the place to stay when in South Beach
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo