“loved it”

The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach
Ranked #32 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Stayed here about 4 years ago for a 3 day business trip, and it was divine. Sadly, I did not get to go anywhere outside the hotel. Will definitely stay here if I ever go to Miami again, and this time around, I'd definitely not have work tie me down.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank ZeeGoes
Write a ReviewReviews (3,201)

Reviewed December 24, 2012

The moment we walked into this hotel we were struck by the interior's distinctive art and design, influenced greatly by original architect Morris Lapidus and Diane Lowenstein, the hotel owner whose Miami art gallery enriches every wall and corner with wondrous surprises. We knew instantly that this hotel is a special one of a kind property compared to other hotels in its category and certainly as compared with its neighboring hotels.
We were so taken by the interior that we almost didn't notice the warn welcoming we received by all staff. At check-in we received an upgrade to a lanai room overlooking the pool which also had an ocean view. The rooms had all just been refurbished with the objective of capturing the feel of the ocean and the clean design of the hotel. The room worked very well for us for us, uniquely furnished with sleekly designed pieces and touches of home including two etageres in which art and design books were placed and a cabinet below in which the coffee maker was discreetly housed. The marble bathroom was smart and classic and housekeeping kept it very clean.
The pool area had great service and is situated above the public promenade with a view below of the constant flow of bikers, walkers, skate boarders, all this with the beach and ocean as a picturesque backdrop. As a bonus, on Sunday night music was provided by a terrific band which had the walkers, runner and bikers stopping along the way to enjoy the music.
We want to acknowledge two professionals who set the tone for the overall hotel experience including the excellent service. We had been in touch with Michael Rock, General Manager, and Anapaula Corral, Director of Guest Services prior to our stay and they were not overstating their expectations when they assured us that our vacation would be perfect.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rainbowg
Reviewed December 23, 2012

The location, the rooms, the bathrooms, the pool, the food, the front desk, the in room service, every worker in the hotel.... excellent!! Everything was just perfect! But I specially must mention how kind and excellent was the service. We have never been treated with such genuine kindness and so much care in any other 5 star hotel. The Ritz was simply a superior experience! Totally worth it!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Mila21sep
Reviewed December 19, 2012

This was my first time staying at a Ritz-Carlton, and I was VERY excited. The location was GREAT and the service outstanding, but I was disappointed in our room. Although it was clean and spacious, we had to call to have the shower fixed before we could use it (handle was broken) and the faucet was so loose on the sink that if you bumped it, it turned. The air conditioning was not working in the (very large) bathroom, either, and because it was a sun-facing room, with a full length window in the bathroom, the bathroom was so hot I had to go into the bedroom area several times while I was getting myself ready just to cool down. To their credit, the staff did make the plumbing repairs immediately, however, I am surprised there was a problem to begin with....(no apology or credit was offered).
Also, when I filled the tub, the water was an alarming greenish color. Do not know if that was normal for the area, or the room we were in was seldom used and the water had been standing in the pipes.
I never write reviews, but felt I needed to this time. Oh...another thing...why can't hotels of this caliber offer free wifi??? Frustrating.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Another high quality Ritz Carlton! Well located, South Beach is just in the front, Lincoln road is across the road. The room is spacious, clean, warm and stylish. Good and quiet air condition, comfy bed, easily get a sound sleep. Reception, concierge, room service staffs are all very professional and friendly. You will feel like being welcome and taking care of. The only comment is on the food. Breakfast not much choice and no surprise. Ordered noodle in chicken soup and Turkey club sandwich from room service, soup is just so so, sandwich is too salty..... But in general, still a good hotel to recommend.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I found several duplicate charges on my bill. The front desk casually responded "oh we can remove that". When I asked how this could happen, the response again was a cool nonchalant "no problem, we'll remove it". Later found out my friends also found duplicate charges on their bill. Review your bill carefully, they WILL overcharge you.
Also - slow and unresponsive restaurant service. We had to ask for everything multiple times.
Umbrella at the beach is $20. Ridiculous.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Nat1231
Reviewed December 7, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed very much our stay at this hotel. Service was excellent and rooms very agreable. My only negative impression was that the shower door in our bathroom could not stop the shower water from leaving onto the exterior thus wetting the entire floor.. :(

On the other hand I cannot thank enough Kristin at the Concierge counter and Luis (with car pick up) who helped us with our broken car right when we were leaving the hotel. We did appreciate a lot their honest interest in helping us trying to get the car started and then getting a new car from the rental company.

Room Tip: if you can afford the cost ask for a room facing the ocean!!