“High quality as usual”

The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach
Ranked #29 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Another high quality Ritz Carlton! Well located, South Beach is just in the front, Lincoln road is across the road. The room is spacious, clean, warm and stylish. Good and quiet air condition, comfy bed, easily get a sound sleep. Reception, concierge, room service staffs are all very professional and friendly. You will feel like being welcome and taking care of. The only comment is on the food. Breakfast not much choice and no surprise. Ordered noodle in chicken soup and Turkey club sandwich from room service, soup is just so so, sandwich is too salty..... But in general, still a good hotel to recommend.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed December 13, 2012

I found several duplicate charges on my bill. The front desk casually responded "oh we can remove that". When I asked how this could happen, the response again was a cool nonchalant "no problem, we'll remove it". Later found out my friends also found duplicate charges on their bill. Review your bill carefully, they WILL overcharge you.
Also - slow and unresponsive restaurant service. We had to ask for everything multiple times.
Umbrella at the beach is $20. Ridiculous.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Nat1231
Reviewed December 7, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed very much our stay at this hotel. Service was excellent and rooms very agreable. My only negative impression was that the shower door in our bathroom could not stop the shower water from leaving onto the exterior thus wetting the entire floor.. :(

On the other hand I cannot thank enough Kristin at the Concierge counter and Luis (with car pick up) who helped us with our broken car right when we were leaving the hotel. We did appreciate a lot their honest interest in helping us trying to get the car started and then getting a new car from the rental company.

Room Tip: if you can afford the cost ask for a room facing the ocean!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carlos23
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Enjoyed a 7 night stay on Club level - ocean front room. Had booked club level city view but was pleasantly upgraded to an ocean front room with balcony. Service was excellent in every department of hotel. Staff seemed to go out of their way to be pleasant and happy which I found to be contageous. Food presentations in club were very good - cerviche and shrimp dishes were prepared very well,. The hotel is an old property but kept up well. Location at top of Lincoln Rd can't be beat. In the action but surrounded by Ritz serenity. A great paved walkway between the beach and hotel allowed great walking/jogging and bike activity that went on for miles away from the busy road but still along the beach. Too windy to sit on the beach during the week we were there. I found it a bit odd that the Ritz charged $20 if you wanted an umbrella. The chairs and towels were free for guests but not the umbrella. Seemed a bit "ungracious". Busy pool and beach area with good service though. As in all of South Beach, the Ritz is a great people watching location!

Room Tip: Top three floors have balconies.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2012

You may have read that due to the recent prominence of Trip Advisor, hotel managements have been writing disingenuous reviews of their hotels in order to counter negative guest reviews.

We have stayed in the same two Lanai rooms at the SB Ritz Carlton for a number of years between Christmas and New Years.

Primarily for their unique and exceptional location over the pool and with a full ocean view

For those who know the property its the Lanai corner closet to the main building to the right facing the hotel

So pool chairs not a necessity

We were are in the sun all day

I can smoke cigars at the pool when my wife and girls at the beach while not having to worry about disturbing pool neighbors while also not disturbing others when I am on business calls

All in all ,a great set up

Not the hotel

Know the property very well

Despite this sweet set up which we have enjoyed this year after many we are moving on this year

Last year was just intolerable

We are frequent travelers and I especially like many of the reviewers am a RC Platinium member

We have never looked at RCSB as a typical RC property ,it is not and necer has been, at all.

We just had these two sweet rooms that could not be beat location wise in SB

I have read the Trip Advisor reviews with great interest

Please notice the detail of the negative reviews

They are all accurate

Notice the superfluous positive reviews

Mostly inaccurate

Notice the amoun of experienced travelers (and loyal RC clients) who write the
negative reviews

Then read the reviews of the star struck first timers who leave their expectations on Lincoln Road and are so thrilled that there is a Walgreens across the street

Or especially the "management" issued reviews which offer not only glowing reports about the location and it being the "only place to stay" in SB, but offer tips about hotel incentives, services etc

The hotel is in decline

Has been especially after sales manager Karen Giordano ( a true hospitality executive) moved on to Palm Beach

Senior management at RCSB whom I have met with are imperious aloof and are clearly not in the hospitality industry

The senior and his second should have been dumped within weeks

Many of the staff are professionals and are caring but morale is low and has been for a while

Concierge Marcus is a bit misunderstood in the reviews which is understandable he happens to be an above and beyond type of professional

As are the lvely ladies at the bars (pool and lobby)

Otherwise the beach is an aggravating mess the pool a gang tackle and the beach security gate a joke

All else you read about room cleanliness etc on the mark

All else you read about table service accurate

This is not in any dimension near an RC experience

If you have made your holiday plans

Just a suggestion

You may want to focus on the accurate negative reviews and act accordingly

• Stayed: December 2012
6  Thank Sf06883
Reviewed November 30, 2012

My wife and I booked a room at the viceroy in Miami for a weekend getaway. On arrival they were overbooked and put us in a dirty room, no where near the category room we had booked . They did not care and the manager would not even speak to us, so the next thing I knew we were standing on the curb with no where to stay. Ritz Carlton to the rescue, I called them up and for not much more money they promised me an ocean view room. On arrival I relayed my story to the front desk and he apologized on behalf of all hotels and upgraded us to the penthouse suite, which I might add is an extraordinary room at a ritz. I mentioned we had canceled our dinner reservation at the viceroy and he asked if he could help with that. I said I had tried to get into nobu but it was booked. He took us to the concierge and stayed while they got us in that night. What amazing service, the location is perfect since lincoln road is more fun than South beach but is still in walking distance to both. You will NEVER be disappointed at a Ritz.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank GrantB15C
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Just returned for a fun and relaxing 4 days at this great hotel. Great pool and beach service and absoutlely ideal location. If you can, get a room on the Club Floor -- delicous breakfast, lunch and snacks all day and into the evening. Wine and champagne included. LOVED it. Will be back.

Room Tip: Higher floors are nice and quiet
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple