“We loved this place”

Deauville Beach Resort
Ranked #171 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed October 17, 2006

We stayed at the Deauville in March, and I forgot to write a review, so here goes:

We read all the reviews, most of them bad, but had no other options as we were going for a conference. My hub was at the conference while I was able to relax and enjoy the beach.

Upon arriving at the Deauville I was amazed at the lobby. The lobby is spectacular w/ high ceilings and art deco furnishings. There were renovations going on in the ballroom area when we were there. I was enchanted by the history of the place hosting the 'rat pack': Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and even the Beatles! The smell in the lobby is Florida sunshine, pool, beach and history. The pool is huge and there are lots of loungers. The hot tub is large with a middle seat. There are lots of towels at the cabana. The pool bar serves frozen cocktails, a little pricey, but go down nice on a hot day. There is a sweet kitty that patrols the bar area.

The beach is easy to access and there are plenty of loungers and shells if you like the cover. The shore is a bit rocky, so watch your toes!

There were some shops on the ground floor such as a tourist shop, hair salon and internet cafe. The hotel is nearby restaurants and bars. We ate at a little place across the street that served tasty Cuban fare and also at another restaurant with a patio on the street where we could have a beer and watch the action.

We loved our hotel room with a south view looking out over the pool area. The bathroom was antiquated, but serviceable. I loved the walk-in closet and wireless internet was really handy.

The room was affordable and the service was courteous. We really enjoyed our stay and would gladly stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled as a couple
8  Thank cdafox
There are newer reviews for Deauville Beach Resort

Reviewed October 11, 2006

Deauville Beach Resort
[---]

I have just returned from a five night stay at the Deauville hotel, located at 6701 Collins ave. The hotel is in serious need of upgrades with their equipment (Broken Ice Machines, warm A/C units, Bad reception Television sets, ripped/Torn wall paper, running toilets), and the service from the front desk staff, was out right disgraceful. It was so horrible that I seriously consider just walking out with out, any of my money in return to just let them keep it because it was quite clear that the Hotel desperately needed the money more then I did. I booked my stay at the Deauville thru Liberty Travel. My double bed room was paid in full ($528.00) many weeks prior to me arriving at the Deauville on 10/4/06. When I arrived at the front desk they did not honor my voucher from liberty travel that clearly stated it was paid in full. When I asked why the clerk stated that The Deauville’s reservation department didn’t have me scheduled to arrive until 10/6/06 2 days after I had arrived, and he strongly, and repeatly suggested that I purchased 2 nights from him, Why would I do that when I paid for my room in full that this is clearly a mistake, and he clearly has room available being that he tried to sell me one can he just revise my reservation and he refused. That night I purchased one night with the assumption that it would all be straighten out in the morning once Liberty travel opened, and the manger of the hotel would be present. I called Liberty spoke with my agent, she told me not to worry that it will all be straightened out and the night The Deauville charged me would be credited back to me. Friday Arrives I think the situation is all clear I receive a call 12am Friday night Saturday Morning from the front desk Manager Jose Ravelo, who says, he has a problem with your credit card, can I come to the front desk. I get there and Mr. Ravelo says to me, he tried to bill a third night to my credit card but it will not go thru, he needs $152.00 from me, or he will lock my room and ask me to leave, I said what are you talking about third night? I paid in full thru liberty travel, and shouldn’t even be charged with a first night and I presented him with my voucher from liberty travel that stated it was paid in full I gave him the name of my agent and the name of Brenda ( The Deauville Reservation Agent) who was handling the situation on there side. He claimed that my reservation was cancelled by Liberty Travel via fax. I told him he had to be mistaken because I am still here and never cancelled anything , Mr. Ravelo says this is what his computer shows that it was cancelled via fax and he can’t help me all he needs is $152.00 for Friday night and that is that. I asked him how come they waited until 12am to call with this issue, that liberty travels offices are closed now, and there’s no way for me to clarify this matter, he states they tried to call but no one answered the phone, so I asked how comes there wasn’t any messages on the room phone, he had a blank look on his face he was clearly lying, then I asked how was it, I was able to let the house keeper in the room to clean the room? Again Mr. Ravelo was silent, I told him what he was doing was wrong and no way to conduct business, that you should not call your guess 12am at night to resolve billing issue because all sensible offices are closed. So I asked him can I return to my room and resolve this in the morning being that this is clearly a mistake he refused my request and stated he can not allow me to return to my room where my belongs were until he receives $152.00 for that night. So I was stuck, The Deauville already charged me $382.00 for Wednesday night and Thursday night and now are trying to charge me an additional $152.00 for Friday night when I already paid $528.00 and had proof in the from of a voucher thru Liberty Travel. I asked Mr. Ravelo to see the fax stating that Liberty travel cancelled my reservation and he could not produce one and told me to take his word for it. I asked him if he thinks what he doing is right and he said yes, they I asked him how does he sleep at night over charging his guess for stuff they already paid for and he said very well. Mr. Ravelo then said you have $90.00 available credit all I need from you is $65.00 you can return to your room, and I will personally straighten this out in the morning, I said to him how do I know that once you leave the next shift manager won’t try to kick my out also, he said you have my word you can sleep late from after you party and no one will bother you that when it is all said and done, that he will personally apologize, and give me an upgrade. So I paid him an additional $65.00 in cash because they had already tied up all of my credit with all of these additional charges, so I go to back t my room my Key was deactivated so I had to return to the front desk from them to rest it. The following morning I made it my business to get up early to call Liberty to work with them to clarify this situation up. After 3hours of calls between, me to Liberty and Liberty to the front desk I was told the matter was resolved. I then went to return to my room to find out that my key was deactivated again, I went back downstairs to get my key reinstated and asked the manager Georgina if I was all clear she says to me that she still didn’t receive any faxes from Liberty travel, I again Called Liberty and they assured me that they had confirmation that the faxes went thru. Monday now arrives it’s time for me to check out, and I never hear from Mr. Jose Ravelo, or any other of the Managers from the desk, no apology, no upgrade no sorry for the inconvenience nothing, after 6 years of staying at the hotel for Caribbean Carnival I have never experienced such terrible service and embarrassment, I will never stay there again or suggest that any other human being stay there either

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with friends
1  Thank buggsy1027
Reviewed August 1, 2006

My family and stayed at the hotel from hell for two weeks in July 2006

The room we were allocated was of extremely poor quality, the electric sockets didn’t work in the bedroom, bed sheets didn’t fit the bed and therefore we slept most of the night on the bare mattress and when drawing the curtains pieces of the ceiling came down.

The pool wasn’t clean and therefore we only used it a couple of times, the beach didn’t fit the description on the hotel’s website [--] and therefore wasn’t used.

We were charged $20 a night for valet parking, whenever we required the car it seemed like we were putting the valets out as it took up to hour to have the car brought to the hotel.

We have prebooked and paid for the holiday before arriving, therefore we were not in a position to book out and move to another hotel, however to get away from the hotel we spent 3 days in Orlando.

Be warned, don't book this hotel

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank Hoopy67
Reviewed July 31, 2006

We booked a much needed vacation with priceline[""]in July 2006. After looking though all they had to offer ,we settled on the Deauville Beach Resort.
Only after we booked the package did i find numerous bad reveiws online; ranging from structural damage in the rooms to bed bugs and roaches. My heart sank and i quickly tried to change the reservation,without sucsess.
we arrived and were immediatly greated by Pablo the bellman who assisted us with our luggage and Georgianna at the check in desk. they were both so friendly and professional. we arrived in our roon to find it spacious,clean room, filled with all the modern day amenities. we quickly changed and went straight to the beach,which had pleanty of loungechairs and cabannas. The pool staffperson Javeir was always their to assist if need be.
we reccomend this Hotel to anyone who wants to enjoy the true miami culture and its spectacular beaches.
Finally to all thoughs who had a hoffific experience, you should give this resort another chance .we sure plan to.
Thanks to all the staff of the Deauville Resort who made our stay a wonderful Memory.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jmo1102
Reviewed July 15, 2006

As I write to you I have just arrived home from the horror they call The Deauville hotel. I checked in on July 15th at 230pm, and my room dirty, smelly, air conditioning didn't work well, and I can say I didn't have trouble with bugs and the bathroom was actually really really clean, but what burnt my cookies is, that my husband and I with our 2 children went to go to dinner at 5pm , and the valets brought back my car, which I didn't notice my handicapped blue parking sticker was missing. we called the front desk as we were tring to go back to the hotel thinking that it might have fallin out, and the front desk clerk couldn't be bothered and hung up on my husband, I and handicapped, I have one leg and that parking pass is very important to me, since i can't walk far distances. We got back to the hotel at 520pm miami traffic, the valet manager said not his problem, the front desk clerk, said she had to call the manager on duty, she came yelling and screaming that nothing can be as important as the wedding they were doling, the securty is a joke, they sent someone to take my statement, and wouldn't even check the office valet, when you pull up you see this little box , and i asked them to check and he wouldn't, he didn't even want to take my report, had to call miami beach police dept, and they said that because you pay $20.00 for parking you think your call is in a secured lot, wrong, if you pull out of the deauville at the stop light and go straight, in the gravel work site, that is were they park the cars, and that either they forget to lock the doors , or that they steal from it and the hotel can't and won't do a thing, he was great, and let me know that if i needed to park , that even though i didn't have it posted it would show up that it was stolen and am intitled to using it. Finally the general manager bald guy in glasses and go tee, just walked around couldn't care less, and the valet and bell men were speaking about me in spanish, and i knew what they said, and they stated i was a stupid cringa, and that they sold it on the street for 20.00 pecos, i advised them i understood and the general manager stated that he didn't understand spanish and that he wouldn't accept that, i even had a passer by state to him, its a shame that you allow people and staff to treat people like this and he said that everything i said was true. He refused to say a thing. So my moral of this long story is DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING IN YOUR CAR!!!!!!!! and yes its dirty, food sucks, drinks are super super expensive, and this hotel might have been the big thing with danny kay and frank sinatra but its warn out and old... not kept up ande smells moldy., pool is awesome, and huge!!! it was clean, to much cholorine , better then none... You can be your own judge, but i would rather spend my money down the street at Loews, you can basically hit any other hotel and it would be better... good luck and happy staying

Stayed: July 2006
6  Thank melissa p
A TripAdvisor Member
Santa Fe New Mexico
Reviewed June 19, 2006

Spent a week at this hotel with spouse and 2 children. We were covered in bug bites by the end of the week. If we hadn't paid up front we would have left immediately.
The room itself seemed clean but as soon as you stepped into the corridors and elevators there was dirt everywhere. These areas were never cleaned in the whole week we were there. Don't believe the web site either. The top 4 floors were ripped apart so I can only assume they were badly affected by the hurricanes last year. False fire alarms went off the last night 5 times at 3 am which made for a rough travel day the next day.
The pool was filthy...hair and scum on the top......I don't think the filtration system was working. Car valet parking was at an outdoor parking lot a block away so it took 20 minutes minimum to get your car. Don't leave the windows open because they did n't close ours and it rained inside the car.
Key front desk employees were unpleasant and their English was very poor.......I think we fared better than most because my husband speaks Spanish. Most services.....shop, laundry, cafe were all closed all week. No hot water in the hair salon and spa.
Food was good for room service but breakfast was bad. Beach was filthy also.
Not a place we will return to.

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
gainesville, Fl
Reviewed June 12, 2006

I've stayed in Deauville for 2 days and I'm satisfied the hotel.
When I've first read the reviews about the hotel, I was so worried. I called them if I can cancel my reservation which was thru Priceline. They said there's no refunds. So I went there with a big question mark in my head. But afterall, I liked the place quite. Overall, for a price of 85$/night, the place is pretty decent.

The staff is quick, responsive and respectful. Some of them don't speak english very well but communication is still possible. Valet parking staff is running to get your car as soon as possible. Pool and whirlpool are quite clean.

But there are minuses about the hotel as well. Valet parking is quite expensive. (20$/day+plus the tip). And there's a charge of 7$ resort fee per day (I think that's a rip off). Carpet was little worn out in our room other than that furniture was pretty decent.
The place is 10 minutes drive distance from south beach where parking is a trouble unless you wanna pay 20$ there too. And finally the walls of the room are so thin, you can almost start a conversation with the next room.

I stayed there during early June, which I think is off-season for Miami, so it wasn't crowded as hell.

Even though I've enjoyed in staying in Deauville, if you are in interested in night life of Miami, I suggest you to consider staying in a hotel in South Beach.

• Stayed: June 2006