“Will be great when finished...”

Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, South Beach
Ranked #30 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Warrington, England
“Will be great when finished...”
Reviewed April 3, 2011

Room was fantastic, staff were warm, friendly and helpful.

Where it lets itself down is the finishing touches just aren't there yet. Rest rooms downstairs are still not finished and had no towels or paper. Can't pay for anything in cash as they 'don't have a register' and the 'spoil me plan ' should be optional as were were led to believe when we booked. For us it was wine/beer/peanuts on the roof terrace and that was it. No bottled water, newspapers, etc. Didn't appear to have room service or a bar. No information pack at all in room and despite a kitchenette, only stocked with a coffee maker and 2 glasses.

On a plus side staff were great. Alex and Johnny looked after us very well on front desk and the valet parking ($30 24hrs) went without a hitch. We spent a lovely hour on the roof where you are welcomed with a cold beer or glass of wine. The room is a decent size and decorated very nicely. Nice toiletries. Location also great.
Its currently a nice hotel and it wouldn't take much to make it a great one...

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank shell.r
EdgewaterSouthBeach, General Manager at Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, South Beach, responded to this review, April 12, 2011
Dear Shell.R,

Thank you so much for your feedback.
We are glad you liked the room and the staff.

The restrooms in the lobby were not finished yet during your stay. We created a new set of guest restrooms on the lobby level and we hope to have them completely ready next week.
We do supply utensils and china for the rooms upon request. We have placed an information sheet on this in the rooms.
We hope to see you back sometime in the future so that we can show you the improvements we made.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Richmond Hill, Canada
Reviewed March 31, 2011

We had a room on the second floor, it was not great.

Good: Size of the Room, Service Staff were nice and friedly.

Bad: Where to begin...

Carpets in the hallways were dirty and had all kinds of marks on it. It seemed like some people lived there permantly as it smelled like an appartment building and we saw people who left their doors opened. The room across from us, had the door opened most of the time and it seemed to be under construction while a family was living there. We heard the kids screaming and the father talking all the time as they kept the door open while the father was topless and cleaning himself. there was also some lady inside with a massage table in the construction area which was strange.

In our room we found spiderwebs. It seemed like the room was just finished renovating. The floor and carpets were dirty. The room had a musty smell and smelled like an old lived in appartment building. The rooms didn't have any windows, just a patio door. There was very little light and it seemed as if you were in a basement.

There was no bottled water or any hotel extras like normal hotels had. To say the least I not recommend this hotel, especially on the 2nd floor.

I saw a room on the 3rd floor and it was nice, so I know where the good reviews came from.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank dlee_15
EdgewaterSouthBeach, General Manager at Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, South Beach, responded to this review, April 1, 2011
Dear dlee_15,

My sincere apologies for the situation with the guests in the room across from yours. We realized that the hallway carpets needed to be cleaned after some unfortunate coffee and wine spills and we have already done so. The hallway carpets look and smell nice and new again. On a cloudy day not much sunlight enters the courtyard where your French doors open up to and probably created the darker feel that day however your point is very well taken and we will add appropriate lighting where needed. The Hotel provides bottled Fiji water in the rooms. I do apologize if your room was missed for some reason. I hope you will come back to our area sometime in the future and contact me personally so that I can arrange for a wonderful experience next time at The Edgewater South Beach.
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 29, 2011

My friends and I recently stayed at the Edgewater for the Ultra Music Festival Weekend. We were a party of 5 and stayed in the two bedroom suite (room 405) and I must say that this was one of the nicest suites I have ever stayed in. Since the hotel just recently opened up, everything in our suite was brand new and very clean. We were all very pleased with our accommodations. The two bedroom suite had two very spacious rooms, 1 with a king size bed and attached bathrooom and the other with a queen sized bed and entrance to the balcony. The living room area was very spacious and we had one of our friends stay there and probably could have fit 2 more people. The suite had a flat panel TV, a great surround sound system along with an awesome balcony. The suite also has a kitchen with everything one would need (microwave, fridge, sink, stove, etc). The suite was probabaly one of the best parts of our trip.

The staff is very friendly. I unfortunately did not get all of their names but Johnny and the crew were able to help us with all of our requests and were great. Since Edgewater is a new hotel, they are still doing some construction in the lobby which woke us up pretty early on the days we were staying there and when we explained our problems to the guy at the front desk, he was very understanding and reduced the total amount we had to pay. This showed us that the staff/management at the Edgewater really cared about the comfort of their guests and for this reason I plan to stay there everytime I visit South Beach.

The Edgewater is located right across the street from the Beach and near many restaurants and stores. Luckily for us, the hotel is located on the quieter part of Ocean Drive so we were able to escape all the noise and loud music at the end of the night and relax in our suite.

As long as the Edgewater remains affordable, I plan to stay there many more times in the future.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank rchhabra1
Dear rchhabra1,

Thank you so much for your review!
We are glad you liked the hotel and hope to see you again next year if not before.
Bergen County, NJ
Reviewed March 28, 2011

This place calls itself a resort, which it definitely is not. Although all resorts have a fee, they usually include the services they say on the web site. This resort fee was steep, and the web site claims it offers free bottled water, daily newspaper, a safe (which by the way is not attached to anything and can easily be picked up and stolen) among other things. These were not offered and when I asked, I was told bottled water was $3 and that they were not implementing the newspaper yet. That is what I call false advertisement. And for a resort to not even provide bathrobes is beyond me. I feel like the staff severely judged us. We are a young couple, but I travel A LOT. So when we checked in after 4pm, and the room was not ready (although they allowed us to enter the room), and I complained, I basically got a shrug. The room was frankly dirty. Dusty side tables, glass stains on the side tables, floor was covered with tag pieces from someone cutting tags off their clothes, no towels, and no toilet paper holder. I do not feel at a resort I should have to reach around the toilet for toilet paper. I had to ask 3 times before one was finally installed (you would think maid service would have noticed the lack of one). The room itself is beautiful and spacious, with a useful kitchenette (perfect for eating leftovers, which we did twice on the gorgeous rooftop). Unfortunately, we discovered leftover food from previous guests which explained why we had bugs in our room. So while the hotel is pretty and in the perfect location, they definitely need to remember basic amenities and cleaning practices. If they are going to offer a kitchenette, then make sure to check all cabinets for food and such. Also, their customer service is okay. I went to the front desk for a fork, and two hours later I got one (but I did not want lunch at 3pm). I ended up tracking down a very nice maid and she gave me one.

Also, the $18 daily fee also goes towards a breakfast and happy hour. Again, look to the web site. The breakfast consists on crossaints, white bread, jam, and oj. It starts at 8:30, and if you go up much later, they run out of food and that is all. Also, it's South Beach, how about some nice fruit or yogurt? Heavy crossaint then go to the beach? Not good. The happy hour was better, but the site says cocktails and small food like cheese. It's Heineken, wine, and peanuts. This "resort" really cannot promise such amenities on their site and then not do such things at the hotel. Also, their chair service is lame as well as they run out of chairs and again you are paying for something you do not receive. Lastly, the last day the fire alarm went off three times before 9am. Not once did anyone call us to let us know that after the first time it was a malfunction in the system. I asked a maid and she said "A false alarm...I think." That is simply irresponsibility by the hotel and many other guests were in the hallway annoyed and nervous there might be a fire.

Overall, this hotel has much potential but needs to set itself straight. It is a hotel, not a resort at all, and basics need to be provided. Maid service needs to be perfected, and if a customer complains, no matter her age, they should respect it and honor it. We were also charged the resort fee for the day we checked in at 4pm, and we clearly did not use the sub par amenities that day. Overall, this hotel needs an overhaul to be a resort. The perfect location may bring me near this place again, although I am not sure I would stay here (even with a gorgeous rooftop).

2 Thank MichelleK23
Dear Michelle,

Thank you for your review. We do not claim to be a resort. But we are a hotel in a resort setting/location. We do not have a resort fee either, but something called a "Spoil me" plan. At $18 per day per room it is actually cheap for all the inclusions our guests receive compared to hotels who charge a "Resort Fee" We offer a nice continental breakfast, wireless internet, free beer and wine for one hour daily, beach towels and chairs. The bottled water is not included but is featured in the rooms as a MiniBar item. We do apologize if the room was not completely ready upon arrival but we are glad you found the room beautiful and spacious. We are sorry the fire alarm went off during your stay but glad all was ok. We hope to welcome you back one day and show you the improvements we have made along the way.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 27, 2011

The hotel has great location. just walk across Ocean drive for the beach. It is near the nightlife hotspot but not right at it, so it's quiet. The staffs are friendly and helpful. We were upgraded to oceanview one bedroom suite. The room has great design, and is exceptionally clean. The in-room amenities include a mini kitchen, 2 bathroom, a bedroom, a living room with a flatscreen, dvd player with 5.1 channel audio system. Overall, we had a wonderful experience staying at the Edgewater, and would go back there again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank pip_ts
EdgewaterSouthBeach, General Manager at Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, South Beach, responded to this review, March 29, 2011
Dear Pip-ts,

Thank you for your wonderful review.
It is reviews like this that make us work extra hard and make sure everyone is comfortable and well taken care of.
We hope to see you return many times.
London, Canada
Reviewed March 26, 2011

This hotel Rocks! The front desk staff were super friendly and made great recommendations when I asked them about anything, I had never been to South Beach so had no clue where to eat/go out/etc. The room was super spacious and very modern/trendy cool and the beds were decent with nice sheets and pillows. My husband was very impressed with the electronics in the room. I loved the "happy hour" as part of the spoil me plan. Valet parking was $30 for the day but was good till 4pm the following day and we only stayed 1 night. I did pay extra for a "Marina view" but ended up with a room facing a wall and looking at the location of the hotel I don't know how Marina views would even be possible so don't bother I didn't bother troubling the hotel with this discrepancy as it was only one night and not a big deal and I had booked through an external website. The location is superb the beach is right across the road and all the action is footsteps away in fact the hotel next door is considered one of "tripadvisor" customer review favorites and it's older and more expensive. This is probably the best bang for your buck in South Beach. The breakfast is lame, toast that couldn't be toasted cause they had everything plugged into one outlet but the terrance it's served on is beautiful with enough tables chairs and loungers to accomodate everyone without feeling crowded and really who can eat when you're too excited to get to the beach. Lincoln Park Mall is steps away too. All in all a great place to stay. Nice people, location and price for what is a really pricey place to be.

1 Thank Sara_Vieira
Dear Sara Vieira,

Thank you so much for your review!
We are glad you enjoyed your stay.
The toaster has in the mean time its own outlet. I am sorry for the inconvenience that situation created.
We hope to see you back many times.
We will give you the ocean view for sure!
Michigan City, Indiana
Reviewed March 19, 2011

My wife and I wanted to find a special place to celebrate our anniversary. We had heard how great the South Beach area was, and we found the Edgewater Sooth Beach to be a good location with decent availability.

This hotel is still in the process of being renovated from a condo to a hotel. There is a lot of noise and construction during the day. Our room however, was renovated, and overlooked the roof terrace and (in the distance) the ocean. It was a studio, and was OK - not great - but certainly livable for the one night we were there. We did find, however that the room was quite dirty, and the housekeeping was poor. There was dirt and debris in corners and other parts of the room. We had to ask several times for extra towels, and our request to have the room cleaned was ignored. We also never got the down pillows we asked for.

We found that there is a tiny staff, with people doing double and even triple jobs. This meant that requests were not taken care of, and there was a wait for everything.

The so-called "happy hour" is a joke. There are two types of very cheap wine, some bottled water, and a bowl of peanuts - That's it! It was not worth going to.

The continental breakfast is even a bigger joke. When we called we were told they had juices (several kinds) fresh fruit, bagels, rolls, sweet rolls "and a variety of other nice things to eat" to quote the person on the phone. When we got to the breakfast at 8:30AM (it was scheduled to run until 10), they had canned orange juice, no fruits, sliced white bread (and a toaster), only regular coffee, plus a couple of very ordinary tea bags, and that was it. The person who was running the breakfast said everything else in the bread department was gone. They never had, she said, any other juices, fruits or other choices and no decaf either. What a disappointment. We went to Joe's Stonecrab for breakfast. It was great!

Valet parking, which is almost a requirement since there is almost no parking in the area, is extremely expensive - at almost $40 per day.

This hotel has potential, but so far, we would not recommend it to anyone.

7 Thank lillabye
Dear Lillabye,

I remember meeting you at the Happy Hour and wishing you a happy anniversary. I am sorry you did not bring up the issues mentioned in this review during your stay with us or during the friendly conversation we had.
I am sorry to read that your one night stay was disappointing to you especially during such a special occasion. Every day we try to make improvements and your feedback is very much appreciated.
We hope to welcome you back sometime in the future to show you a good time.