“Aussies had a day out on the water”

Capt. Jay's Deep Sea Fishing Miami
More attraction details
Owner description: Deep sea charter fishing on the All New 57' Custom built USCG licensed & Inspected "Spellbound". A/C at sea, fishing for Sailfish, Shark, Marlin, Mahi, Tuna, Snapper, Grouper & More. We are licensed by the Coast Guard to carry up to 20+ passengers. We can take your larger group fishing all together on our one boat!
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Cannot recommend Capt. Jay and his team (Manny et all) highly enough. Professional, entertaining, personable and seriously hard workers; but most importantly they knew where the fish were.

My mate and I hired Spellbound for a full day, we hooked out first tuna about 2 minutes outside of the port, from there the fishing didn't stop. Once we were sick of the tuna (hooked well over 15) we went for Barracuda, then a giant trevally (55-60lbs), then mackerel and finally mahi mahi (hooked well over 20 of them).

By the end of the day every single muscle in my fingers, hands, arms were cramping. They were a little sadistic (but in a good way!) a number of times we had multiple hookups (3,4,5) and once we finished really in one fish they'd just hand us the next rod and tell us to go harder. Sometimes it was manic on the boat but the crew worked their butts off to give us an amazing day out on the water.

We obviously returned a lot of fish on the day, which was pleasing, and when we got back to port the the team even filleted the fish we decided to keep.

Manny kept apologising because they thought the fishing in Australia was 10 times better but let me tell you the fishing they brought to us on the day was as good as anywhere in the world.

If you decide to do some sport fishing in Miami I cannot recommend these guys highly enough. The boat is in top condition, the crew look after you and the fishing is incredible.

A day of life long memories created thanks to Capt. Jay's Deep Sea Fishing Miami.

Cheers.

2  Thank dabays
There are newer reviews for Capt. Jay's Deep Sea Fishing Miami

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Found Capt. Jay on TripAdvisor and decided to go fishing on our vacation to Miami Beach. Truth be told, my expectations were not that high as I had been fishing before (when I was very young) on a boat where 30 people all stand around the side and cast out aimlessly into the ocean.

THIS IS NOT THAT. This is a personalized experience that is worth every penny. You will catch fish, and you will have a great time learning how they do it and the correct technique. Oh and you'll hear some great stories along the way.

My wife and I went out with Capt. Jay (and Mike) on a half day, morning adventure with three other people. We went literally 1.5 miles off the coast and we were in extremely deep water (i.e. no hour long trip just to get to where you want to fish). Then we set the line for some smaller fish, and reeled in roughly 10-12 Little Tunny. My wife had the catch of the day, bringing in a 44" Kingfish.

We spent the later half of the trip with our lines set for bigger game (sharks, marlin, sailfish, etc). While we didn't catch any of those, we weren't disappointed. We had a good time catching the small stuff, and came away with some great stories to tell.

Overall: great time, knowledgeable captain, good experience for people who know absolutely nothing about fishing.

1  Thank Tom F
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We've been on the party fishing boats (40-100 persons), it may be a few bucks less but it doesn't come close. Captian Jay and Mike were the best. Captain Jay was an excellent Captian and Mike took care of business. We started by catching tuna, we caught 8 tuna and a barracuda in the first couple hours, more that I expected. We then switched gears for something bigger, soon we had a 4 foot Silky shark on the line. That made the trip; however, that wasn't the end. A sail fish was chasing one of the lines when the Deep line hit. After about an hour of reeling we landed a Hammerhead Shark just under 10 foot. Those are the family memories that aren't forgotten. Thanks to Captian Jay and Mike. We will see you again.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Went out on the Spellbound early morning for half a day. The crew (Manny and Mike) were the most personable people you could meet in this world! Fish were not biting, but these guys worked their tails off to produce fish, for the most rememberable customer expierience.

Reviewed May 18, 2012

I chartered the Spellbound vessel in early May of 2012 for two afternoons. I've hired charters now for about 10 years and know that some days you win and some you lose when it comes to the fish. I also know that a good captain with a good eye and a first mate that knows his stuff can often mean the difference between seeing fish and catching fish. Captain Jay and his team know their stuff like no other charter I've been on.

The first day we were out, Jay was the captain and Mike was the first mate. Mike is, hands down, the best first mate I've met and he earned his keep. This guy busted his hump. The weather conditions weren't favorable for sails, or fishing in general (grey/rainy skies, green water, etc) but we still landed an almaco jack, a kingfish, and a 40lb amberjack. We had a lot of downtime that day due to the weather, but we had a blast. My buddy and I actually spent a good hour catching fish from the live well with our bare hands. that might sound silly, but it was a lot of fun.

The 2nd day Captain Manny was at the helm and Mike was the first mate. Gary was the 2nd mate. The water conditions were much better, but we had a sizeable storm on the horizon. With time being of the essense, the team got me out into pretty blue water Manny was on the hunt. he spotted a sailsfish and they jumped into action. Within minutes, we had a 80-90 inch sailfish on the line. My first sailfish! Mike guided me through the 75 minute process of bringing this big guy in. About 30 minutes into the fight, Manny noticed another sail in the water and Mike jumped into action again and was able to put it on another reel (60-65inches in length). Two sailfish in one trip? hell yeah! Gary took the 2nd rod and kept it at bay until I finished with the first one, then handed me the rod and let me fight the 2nd one. AfterI reeled in the 2nd sailfish, the storm was on top of us and we had to get going.

Thankfully, there was a small break in the weather just as we reached the marina. Manny, again with a keen eye, noticed a school of baracudas just off the shore, so we tossed in some lines. We had some activity, but no baracuda bites. I did manage to catch a sizeable Crevalle Jack just before we called it quits for the day.

In short, I can offer a few pieces of advice. 1. Dont expect to catch a sailfish. If you're hellbent on catching one, you'll need to expect many trips before it actually happens. Jay and Manny know how to find them when they're around, but they cannot make them appear and cannot force them to be active. 2. I would book another charter with Jay in a heartbeat and fully expect to do so when I'm back in Miami. 3. regardless of what kind of fish you catch, except a great crew and awesome experience. This is the best charter I have been on.

2  Thank CincyCory