“Miami Beach is party town - be warned!”

Hotel Breakwater South Beach
Ranked #114 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed May 10, 2014

On first viewing – lovely, modern room with a hip feel, great view out to street and across road to beach. Because of the noise I would not stay again, which is overall a shame as the hotel was nice enough.

Everyone has different expectation when they travel, so these are the pluses and minus as I see them – not all will apply to you:

Plus: modern and stylie, great sized bathroom with a good shower. Fantastic location – walking distance from anything you want to see, and to great eateries. Free international phone calling was a super bonus for us.

Minus: DO NOT stay on the north side over looking the pool if you want any sleep. The open air nightclub in front of this (fronting street) goes pretty much all night and is LOUD. Very very very LOUD. I am not sure any hotel on Collins Road would be much better though to be honest – the street is a happening place, great when you are down amoungst it, not so much when you want to go back to your room to sleep.

Staff welcoming but not helpful – I asked everyday for the wifi to be fixed on our floor, every day they said that it would be ‘reset’ (It did work fine on other floors, but that was a nuisance). Asked for toilet paper to be sent to room (maid had left none AT ALL) – it never arrived!! I finally had to go to reception. Similar happened with replenishing of other stock every day – I finally managed to just ‘lift’ a whole lot of stuff from a cart and store it in our wardrobe. Like all beds I’ve stayed at in America, far far too soft and you sink down about 5 cm – absolutely no good if you have lower back problems and need a firm mattress. Hairdryer cord to short and no handy power point (outside of the bathroom) – a nuisance when there are two of you.

Room Tip: Maybe rooms on south side a quieter - a bit?
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NinNelson
Chauncey C, General Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

It was wonderful having you here visiting with us! Thank you for your comments and observations about our entertaining and non-stop hotel here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive. I am disappointed you were inconvenienced during your visit. Your comments are very valuable to us to focus our efforts to always improve our guest's comfort. Our location here in the middle of all the activity and bustle of Ocean Drive can be noisy. We will be modifying the windows this year to help minimize the noise for our guests at our historic Art Deco hotel. Please contact me directly so I can organize a wonderful time for you on your next visit to South Beach.

Chauncey

Write a ReviewReviews (1,846)

Reviewed May 8, 2014

I stayed here for my birthday weekend with 6 rooms and 12 guests. The rooms were amazing! The location is the absolute best if you want the SoBe experience. Ana at the front desk went above and beyond to ensure that my stay was the best and made changes and accommodations for all of my guests. Merrat (sp) in reservations was extremely friendly and accommodating and Chauncey, the general manager, was the BEST. I arrived to a handwritten note wishing me a happy birthday from Chauncey. The rooms were clean, up to date, and spacious. There were complimentary beach towels, water, and breakfast. All of my guests were extremely pleased with my selection of hotel. Thank you Esplendor for making my birthday trip AMAZING!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Chauncey C, General Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

It was wonderful having you here visiting with us! Thank you for your kind comments and observations about Ana, Murat and our team members at our busy, fun and non-stop hotel here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive. Thank you for sharing your Birthday with us. We look forward to having you and guests here with us again soon!

Reviewed May 5, 2014

The staff truly is the best ! Serge, Ana and Lisena went out of the way to make my stay awesome. The rooms and views are excellent, the location (all of south beach is a party attitude) is in the middle of all the action. Complimentry breakfast buffet is a nice bonus. Im a bit spoiled and I would rank this hotel an " A " if you want the South Beach experience. Michael R. Los Angeles

Room Tip: Tell the staff what your looking for, view, privacy, etc. Rooms on the south side are quieter and th...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Chauncey C, General Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

It was wonderful having you here visiting with us! Thank you for your kind comments and observations about Serge, Ana, Lisena and the team members and our active, fun and non-stop hotel here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive. We look forward to having you here with us again soon!

Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

First off, this is a beautiful boutique hotel in a fantastic location. Rooms superb, staff friendly and helpful buffet breakfast a great start to the day. But what the hotels website doesn't tell you is that on the north side of the hotel is an open air nightclub with music thumping out till 5am everyday. South Beach is a party town, I get that, but a warning before you splurge big money on this hotel should be made. Unless you like Shakira and rubbish hip hop keeping you awake until the small hours, avoid. A street back on Collins would be far more advisable. A lovely hotel, but v v annoyed nothing on their website advises of the club playing until the small hours. The bass actually thumps throughout your room. Not worth the money staying here because of that reason alone.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank neilthfc
Chauncey C, General Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

It was wonderful having you here visiting with us! Thank you for your comments and observations about our active, entertaining and non-stop hotel here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive. I am disappointed you were inconvenienced while with us. Our location here in the middle of all the action and activity of Ocean Drive can be noisy. We will be modifying the windows in our historic Art Deco hotel this year to help minimize the noise for the comfort of our guests. Please contact me directly on your next visit to South Beach so I can organize a wonderful experience.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

I am a former resident of South Beach and know my way around the area, hotels, and all the great things Miami Beach has to offer. After having sold my condo in South Beach only a few months ago, staying in a is hotel is very difficult transition. I strongly recommend the Breakwater. I am rarely impressed by staff at a hotel, but the Breakwater has the best I have experienced in a long time. I spend 60-70 night in Hilton Hotels, and have never had as good of a "staff" experience as at the Breakwater. My congratulations to Chauncey (the GM) and all of the staff members. You are top shelf!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Chauncey C, General Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

It was wonderful having you here visiting with us again! Thank you for your kind comments and observations about our team members and our active, fun and non-sop hotel here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive. We look forward to having you here with us again soon!

Reviewed April 28, 2014

I booked a last minute trip to South Beach. Knowing absolutely nothing, I researched the best areas to stay to be near the heart of the action. Without a doubt, Ocean Drive is THE place to be if you want a livelier Miami experience. Esplendor appeared to have the "chicest" hotel for the most affordable price. Needless to say, I LOVED this hotel. The staff was friendly and attentive, the location was great and, most importantly, the hotel was clean. As others complained, yes the hotel is noisy strictly due to the location. However, if you're going to stay on Ocean, expect this anywhere. Our room overlooked the Clevelander and the constant music was never bothersome to our sleep. In fact, in the halls we could hear other rooms playing music like we did every evening, and you could never hear the music or noises from neighboring rooms. All in all, if a little noise from Ocean doesn't bother you, it's not half as bad as people are making it seem.

Yes, they do surprisingly add on a fee, but the fact that it includes breakfast alone made it worth it. We expected a basic continental breakfast. No, this was far from it. Eggs, pancakes, bagels, waffles, bacon, cereal, etc. Well worth the money.

My only two suggestions to the hotel would be this. First, explain the elevator situation! Yes, I understand and appreciate the safety aspect (although it is very easy to get upstairs without having a key), but my friend and I thought we were stuck in the elevator. This could have easily been avoided had someone explained this to us at check in.

Secondly, the portion of the hotel we stayed in had what we called the, "Titanic room". What looks like it was once intentionally used as a bar/lounge, now looked like a rundown old room out of Disney's Haunted Mansion ride. My friend and I both felt that this was a easy and inexpensive fix the hotel could make to make its overall appearance more aesthetically pleasing.

Overall, I would absolutely stay here again and recommend it to friends. Hope to visit again soon!

Room Tip: If a little noise REALLY bothers you, ask to be in a room that isn't overlooking the Clevelander...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Chauncey C, General Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

It was great having you here visiting with us! Thank you for your kind comments and observations about our fun, non-stop hotel here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive. We look forward to having you here with us again soon!

Reviewed April 28, 2014

This review is way overdue...I actually stayed there a year ago. The Breakwater is a nice cozy newly remodeled art deco hotel in the middle of SouthBeach on Ocean Drive. The front desk/staff was very friendly and helpful. The roof top pool was small; but sexy and inviting. As far as the noise, request a room on the inside. I was in room 214. Not much of a view; but completely quiet :) I did not eat in the hotel because there are many choices outside. The News Cafe and Big Pink are perfect breakfast spots. Will return again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for remembering us! It was wonderful having you here with us! Thank you for your kind comments and observations about our busy, fun non-stop hotel here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive. We look forward to having you visit with us again soon!