“Has a lot of potential”

Hotel Breakwater South Beach
Ranked #115 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I was very pleased with location of the hotel, the pool was beatiful. I was not happy with the service it took three calls to get ice (no ice machines on our side of hotel), every time I called the front desk their was no answer. The day we checked in we were sent to the wrong room we had to carry our bags to the other side of the hotel they never sent anyone to get them for us. Our room keys didn't work for the first day and a half we had to go get replacements three different times. I feel like they need a class in hotel hospitality.

• Stayed: February 2014
Chauncey C, General Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Thank you for your comments and observations. I am disappointed to hear you had some inconveniences while visiting with us. Your feedback is extremely important to us to focus our efforts to always provide better comfort for our guests. On your next visit to our area, please contact me directly so I can organize your time with us to enjoy our fun, active bustling hotel here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive.

Chauncey

Write a ReviewReviews (1,822)

Reviewed March 3, 2014

The Breakwater was an excellent hotel and the concierge service was great. The location is perfect if you want to be in the middle of everything - bars, beach, shopping, restaurants, etc. My only complaint was the noise level at night.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank 198MaliaJ
Chauncey C, General Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Thank you for your kind comments and observations. We loved having you here with us! This year we are planning modifications to our historic Art Deco property to help minimize the noise for our guests here in our active and entertaining location in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive. There is so much going on here and around us that it can be a bit noisy, but fun. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the near future.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

I recently spent 2 nights at the Breakwater pre-cruise, my third stay in three years, the first under new management. While the last two stays were excellent, my most recent experience left me feeling that the hotel is deteriorating physically and in quality of service, and I will find other accommodations next time.

After checking in, I asked the bellman who brought up the luggage how to adjust the thermostat (I sometimes have difficulty doing so). He said that it can't be regulated. After he left, I found that I could easily adjust it.

I walked across the carpet after removing my sneakers, but there was a damp spot which wet my socks. The desk lamp was broken. The one chair in the room, by the desk was extremely uncomfortable. Bath towels in the past were fluffy and luxurious; these were like sandpaper.

While past memories of this hotel are great, it is suffering under new management. I can't recommend it, unless you want a three star experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room facing away from the adjacent club, if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank harrymart

Thank you for your comments and observations. I am disappointed to hear your experience was not entirely enjoyable this visit. Your feedback is extremely important to us in our efforts to always improve our guests experiences here in our active, bustling hotel in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive. Please contact me directly so I can organize your next visit which will be more then norm and fun.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

The Breakwater Hotel is located in the perfect spot on South Beach. We've stayed there a couple of times now and we will definitely return. The staff is always so nice and friendly. Natalie and Murat on this most recent visit provided extraordinary customer service! Looking forward to our next stay!

• Stayed: February 2014
Chauncey C, General Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

It was great having you here with us again! Thank you for your kind comments and observations about our staff members and our fun, entertaining hotel here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive. We will share your recognition of Natalie and Murat and look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

Too loud, poor service, false advertising. Don't believe what they say about the private beach. Bad karaoke plays until 2am and if that doesn't keep you awake the rats in the wall will! On a positive note the bathrooms are nice.

1  Thank Anonymous1887

Thank you for your comments and observations. I am disappointed you did not enjoy your visit with us. Our active, bustling and entertaining location here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive can sometimes be noisy. We are taking steps as a historic Art Deco property to work within the historical guidelines to minimize the noise a bit in the coming year to make our guests ever more comfortable. Please contact me directly when you are coming back to South Beach so I can organize a wonderful visit for you.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

I chose the Breakwater for location and was pleasantly surprised with the hotel. The interior is completely updated and tastefully decorated – the rooms are true to the website pictures and are clean and loaded with amenities (in-room Keurig machine, wine bottle w/ drinking glasses etc.) and the bathroom was breathtaking – enormous double rain-head shower in a full glass enclosure. I also like the contrast of the modern interior with the original façade (I love the Art Deco style but most hotels whose interior reflects that era are cramped and grungy –this was the best of both worlds) The beach is right across the street and they provide chairs and umbrellas and along this section of South Beach is where most of the lively night clubs and restaurants are (Clevelander, Mangos etc.) so everything is within walking distance. Of course the party crowd is noisy into the night so if you are looking for a quiet tranquil hotel, this is probably not your best choice. The staff is also friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Chauncey C, General Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

It was wonderful having your here with us! Thank you for your kind comments and observations about our fun, entertaining hotel here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive. We look forward to having your visit with us again soon!

Reviewed February 27, 2014

I was really pleased with Breakwater service. The rooms, staff and location is really great and I recommend to everyone.
I was there for business but I could spend sometime in the beach that is right in front of the hotel. When I made the reservations, I had no problem at all and also a package arrived to me before I left to Brazil. The staff helped me to retrieve it. Sometimes, in other places, the staff is not that helpful.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

It was great having you visit with us! Thank you for your kind comments and observations about our fun, bustling hotel here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive. We look forward to serving you again soon!