“Downgrade to Three Stars”

Hotel Breakwater South Beach
Ranked #114 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I recently spent 2 nights at the Breakwater pre-cruise, my third stay in three years, the first under new management. While the last two stays were excellent, my most recent experience left me feeling that the hotel is deteriorating physically and in quality of service, and I will find other accommodations next time.

After checking in, I asked the bellman who brought up the luggage how to adjust the thermostat (I sometimes have difficulty doing so). He said that it can't be regulated. After he left, I found that I could easily adjust it.

I walked across the carpet after removing my sneakers, but there was a damp spot which wet my socks. The desk lamp was broken. The one chair in the room, by the desk was extremely uncomfortable. Bath towels in the past were fluffy and luxurious; these were like sandpaper.

While past memories of this hotel are great, it is suffering under new management. I can't recommend it, unless you want a three star experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room facing away from the adjacent club, if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank harrymart
Chauncey C, General Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Thank you for your comments and observations. I am disappointed to hear your experience was not entirely enjoyable this visit. Your feedback is extremely important to us in our efforts to always improve our guests experiences here in our active, bustling hotel in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive. Please contact me directly so I can organize your next visit which will be more then norm and fun.

Chauncey

Write a ReviewReviews (1,846)

Reviewed March 2, 2014

The Breakwater Hotel is located in the perfect spot on South Beach. We've stayed there a couple of times now and we will definitely return. The staff is always so nice and friendly. Natalie and Murat on this most recent visit provided extraordinary customer service! Looking forward to our next stay!

• Stayed: February 2014
Chauncey C, General Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

It was great having you here with us again! Thank you for your kind comments and observations about our staff members and our fun, entertaining hotel here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive. We will share your recognition of Natalie and Murat and look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

Too loud, poor service, false advertising. Don't believe what they say about the private beach. Bad karaoke plays until 2am and if that doesn't keep you awake the rats in the wall will! On a positive note the bathrooms are nice.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Anonymous1887

Thank you for your comments and observations. I am disappointed you did not enjoy your visit with us. Our active, bustling and entertaining location here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive can sometimes be noisy. We are taking steps as a historic Art Deco property to work within the historical guidelines to minimize the noise a bit in the coming year to make our guests ever more comfortable. Please contact me directly when you are coming back to South Beach so I can organize a wonderful visit for you.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

I chose the Breakwater for location and was pleasantly surprised with the hotel. The interior is completely updated and tastefully decorated – the rooms are true to the website pictures and are clean and loaded with amenities (in-room Keurig machine, wine bottle w/ drinking glasses etc.) and the bathroom was breathtaking – enormous double rain-head shower in a full glass enclosure. I also like the contrast of the modern interior with the original façade (I love the Art Deco style but most hotels whose interior reflects that era are cramped and grungy –this was the best of both worlds) The beach is right across the street and they provide chairs and umbrellas and along this section of South Beach is where most of the lively night clubs and restaurants are (Clevelander, Mangos etc.) so everything is within walking distance. Of course the party crowd is noisy into the night so if you are looking for a quiet tranquil hotel, this is probably not your best choice. The staff is also friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Chauncey C, General Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

It was wonderful having your here with us! Thank you for your kind comments and observations about our fun, entertaining hotel here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive. We look forward to having your visit with us again soon!

Reviewed February 27, 2014

I was really pleased with Breakwater service. The rooms, staff and location is really great and I recommend to everyone.
I was there for business but I could spend sometime in the beach that is right in front of the hotel. When I made the reservations, I had no problem at all and also a package arrived to me before I left to Brazil. The staff helped me to retrieve it. Sometimes, in other places, the staff is not that helpful.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

It was great having you visit with us! Thank you for your kind comments and observations about our fun, bustling hotel here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive. We look forward to serving you again soon!

Reviewed February 27, 2014

My friend and I booked two rooms in South Beach through Hotwire and were paired up with the Breakwater. Initially, I wasn't sure what to expect due to some mixed reviews, but we had an extraordinary experience at this hotel across the board and I highly recommend it to anyone seeking deluxe accommodations in a prime location.

Our flights were significantly delayed on Friday evening, and instead of arriving at the hotel around 7:30 p.m., we were on track to arrive around 1 a.m. I called the hotel in the afternoon and someone answered immediately. I informed them of our anticipated delay and they took note; when we arrived after 1 a.m., Elvin was at the front desk - which is staffed 24/7 - and checked us in promptly, upgrading us to junior suites from the superior room. The restaurant and night club were in full swing, but a security officer for the hotel escorted us and our bags through to the elevator and walked us to our respective rooms to ensure that our key cards worked (which they did). It was great, thoughtful service right off the bat, and it made us feel very much at home.

The rooms were spacious, clean and came with several unexpected amenities, ranging from a full ironing board and Keurig machine to a sleeper sofa, complimentary postcards and a sound machine. The room also comes with blackout curtains which came in handy when we wanted to sleep in! The bathroom was also very nice - huge, with two sinks - and the complimentary products were terrific.

I've seen some questions about what the resort fee gets you - $22/day - but for my friends and I, the fee seemed very justified. The hotel provides a free breakfast buffet each day - while we were there it was bacon, eggs, fried potatoes, fruit, cereal, croissants, other breads, juices, coffee and tea - as well as complimentary beach towels, free bicycles which you can borrow for two hours at a time, free Wi-Fi in all the rooms and free internet/printing in the Lobby business center. Having paid for each of those items individually at other hotels, I think $22/day is a great price!

The Breakwater staff gets two huge thumbs up for their smiles, service and attention to detail. On our third and final evening in town, we were looking for a seafood restaurant away from all the hustle and flow. Liz recommended several places, offered to book our table, and, when she found out we were leaving very early in the morning, she called and booked us an airport express van that would save us more money than taking a taxi. My friend's room was a little closer to the night club and she had a hard time sleeping the last night. When she called the front desk, they immediately sent up earplugs. My boyfriend and I found that between the blackout shades and the sound machine built into the alarm clock, we had no trouble sleeping whatsoever.

We also enjoyed lunch at Ocean's Ten, the hotel restaurant, one afternoon and found the food and drinks to be fresh and tasty. The proximity to the beach - directly across the street - can't be topped, and between the large and luxurious rooms, the free perks and the smiling, attentive staff, I can't imagine having a better stay! We lucked into the Breakwater this time but I will go out of my way to stay there on a return trip.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

It was wonderful having you here visiting with us! Thank you for your kind comments and observations about our fun, bustling and entertaining hotel here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive. We look forward to having you here with us in the near future!

Reviewed February 26, 2014

I was very pleased with my stay at the Breakwater. I called a couple days before my visit to ask if they could put us at the backside of the hotel b/c I had read so many people complaning about the noise. The room was beautiful. Seperate living area from the bedroom. We didnt hear the extremely loud music that many complained of I guess b/c we were on the back side. The customer service is what made our experience so great! We arrived earlier then check in. The bell man came immediately to us to give us water and free us from our luggage. Then Natalie went above and beyond to make sure that we got our room and that we were comfortable. Everytime we got off the elevator she made sure that we were happy customers. Anna was also a great help to us. I was very pleased with our stay and would recommend to others to stay there.

Room Tip: Rooms on the backside of the hotel are much quieter!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Chauncey C, General Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Happy Anniversary! It was wonderful having you here with us! Thank you for your kind comments and observations about our fun, active hotel here in heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive and with Natalie in particular. Natalie and the rest of us look forward to having you visit with us again soon!