“The Best of Both Worlds”

Hotel Breakwater South Beach
Ranked #117 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed February 28, 2014

I chose the Breakwater for location and was pleasantly surprised with the hotel. The interior is completely updated and tastefully decorated – the rooms are true to the website pictures and are clean and loaded with amenities (in-room Keurig machine, wine bottle w/ drinking glasses etc.) and the bathroom was breathtaking – enormous double rain-head shower in a full glass enclosure. I also like the contrast of the modern interior with the original façade (I love the Art Deco style but most hotels whose interior reflects that era are cramped and grungy –this was the best of both worlds) The beach is right across the street and they provide chairs and umbrellas and along this section of South Beach is where most of the lively night clubs and restaurants are (Clevelander, Mangos etc.) so everything is within walking distance. Of course the party crowd is noisy into the night so if you are looking for a quiet tranquil hotel, this is probably not your best choice. The staff is also friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Chauncey C, General Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

It was wonderful having your here with us! Thank you for your kind comments and observations about our fun, entertaining hotel here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive. We look forward to having your visit with us again soon!

Reviewed February 27, 2014

I was really pleased with Breakwater service. The rooms, staff and location is really great and I recommend to everyone.
I was there for business but I could spend sometime in the beach that is right in front of the hotel. When I made the reservations, I had no problem at all and also a package arrived to me before I left to Brazil. The staff helped me to retrieve it. Sometimes, in other places, the staff is not that helpful.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

It was great having you visit with us! Thank you for your kind comments and observations about our fun, bustling hotel here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive. We look forward to serving you again soon!

Reviewed February 27, 2014

My friend and I booked two rooms in South Beach through Hotwire and were paired up with the Breakwater. Initially, I wasn't sure what to expect due to some mixed reviews, but we had an extraordinary experience at this hotel across the board and I highly recommend it to anyone seeking deluxe accommodations in a prime location.

Our flights were significantly delayed on Friday evening, and instead of arriving at the hotel around 7:30 p.m., we were on track to arrive around 1 a.m. I called the hotel in the afternoon and someone answered immediately. I informed them of our anticipated delay and they took note; when we arrived after 1 a.m., Elvin was at the front desk - which is staffed 24/7 - and checked us in promptly, upgrading us to junior suites from the superior room. The restaurant and night club were in full swing, but a security officer for the hotel escorted us and our bags through to the elevator and walked us to our respective rooms to ensure that our key cards worked (which they did). It was great, thoughtful service right off the bat, and it made us feel very much at home.

The rooms were spacious, clean and came with several unexpected amenities, ranging from a full ironing board and Keurig machine to a sleeper sofa, complimentary postcards and a sound machine. The room also comes with blackout curtains which came in handy when we wanted to sleep in! The bathroom was also very nice - huge, with two sinks - and the complimentary products were terrific.

I've seen some questions about what the resort fee gets you - $22/day - but for my friends and I, the fee seemed very justified. The hotel provides a free breakfast buffet each day - while we were there it was bacon, eggs, fried potatoes, fruit, cereal, croissants, other breads, juices, coffee and tea - as well as complimentary beach towels, free bicycles which you can borrow for two hours at a time, free Wi-Fi in all the rooms and free internet/printing in the Lobby business center. Having paid for each of those items individually at other hotels, I think $22/day is a great price!

The Breakwater staff gets two huge thumbs up for their smiles, service and attention to detail. On our third and final evening in town, we were looking for a seafood restaurant away from all the hustle and flow. Liz recommended several places, offered to book our table, and, when she found out we were leaving very early in the morning, she called and booked us an airport express van that would save us more money than taking a taxi. My friend's room was a little closer to the night club and she had a hard time sleeping the last night. When she called the front desk, they immediately sent up earplugs. My boyfriend and I found that between the blackout shades and the sound machine built into the alarm clock, we had no trouble sleeping whatsoever.

We also enjoyed lunch at Ocean's Ten, the hotel restaurant, one afternoon and found the food and drinks to be fresh and tasty. The proximity to the beach - directly across the street - can't be topped, and between the large and luxurious rooms, the free perks and the smiling, attentive staff, I can't imagine having a better stay! We lucked into the Breakwater this time but I will go out of my way to stay there on a return trip.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

It was wonderful having you here visiting with us! Thank you for your kind comments and observations about our fun, bustling and entertaining hotel here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive. We look forward to having you here with us in the near future!

Reviewed February 26, 2014

I was very pleased with my stay at the Breakwater. I called a couple days before my visit to ask if they could put us at the backside of the hotel b/c I had read so many people complaning about the noise. The room was beautiful. Seperate living area from the bedroom. We didnt hear the extremely loud music that many complained of I guess b/c we were on the back side. The customer service is what made our experience so great! We arrived earlier then check in. The bell man came immediately to us to give us water and free us from our luggage. Then Natalie went above and beyond to make sure that we got our room and that we were comfortable. Everytime we got off the elevator she made sure that we were happy customers. Anna was also a great help to us. I was very pleased with our stay and would recommend to others to stay there.

Room Tip: Rooms on the backside of the hotel are much quieter!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Chauncey C, General Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Happy Anniversary! It was wonderful having you here with us! Thank you for your kind comments and observations about our fun, active hotel here in heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive and with Natalie in particular. Natalie and the rest of us look forward to having you visit with us again soon!

Reviewed February 23, 2014

First I have to say we had an issue with the hotel we originally booked through hotels.com and ended up here through a last minute decision and didn't do much research.

Upon arrival at the Breakwater we thought the location was fantastic. I was nervous because of the club next door. At the check in desk I begged the lady for a quieter room. She said if we didn't mind being on the first floor (above the restaurant) then they could accommodate us. This ended up being a great decision for 2 reason: didn't have to wait for the elevator ever and it was quiet!
At check in we also discovered the pool and rooftop lounge were closed. I am still trying to figure out why during the busiest time of February would they close these 2 popular features??
This is also when we discovered the resort fee. We did not know about this ahead of time. The only reason we weren't all that upset was 1. this was hotel.com's responsibility to tell us 2. with breakfast included we felt it worked out
Breakfast. I will admit it was nice to have it but the selection was pathetic. I know it could have been done better. We are in Florida why wasn't there any fresh fruit?? Many things could have been added to make it better like Granola even. Also, it was the same every day. I think they need to look what they are offering for sure.
With a sad breakfast, no pool, no lounge what were we getting for $22/day? Still wondering.
The Room- it was small but it was exactly what I expected from the older hotels in the South Beach area. It was clean and comfortable. We really loved the rainfall shower and the whole bathroom. Although, our glass door to the bathroom, when it went to close, your fingers could easily be jammed, this should be looked at in Room 101.
Overall, we had a great time but would we return? With so many choices in South Beach I doubt it since we like to try different places.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, if you don't mind not having a view go for the first floor!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank trvlgirl80
Chauncey C, General Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Thank you for your kind remarks and observations. It was a pleasure having you here with us in our fun, active and entertaining location in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive! Please do consider us on your next trip to South Beach.

Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful Art Deco hotel in an amazing location surrounded by restaurants, night life and Miami Beach across the road from the hotel. You cannot go wrong if you are looking for night life, energy and minimum sleep. If you are looking for peace and quiet, this is the wrong location.

The hotel is well renovated, and service is just ok, but that could be due to the language barrier.

We originally were assigned a room overlooking the pool and Oceans' Ten restaurant and bar, which was cool. What was not cool was the incredibly loud live music which inspired us to move rooms, and thankfully the front desk staff was able to move us to a quieter side at 10pm at night. I believe the music goes on till 5am. And at 7am, the garbage pick up starts and those trucks and guys are loud.

The rooms we got were clean aside to finger prints everywhere, dust/dirt in room corners and washroom hardware. The bed linens were clean and crisp, and beds were comfortable.

Overall the experience was great, and there is a service charge per person and includes buffet breakfast. If you are driving, spring extra for valet parking as parking can be challenging.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Chauncey C, General Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Thank you for your kind comments and observations. We loved having you here with us! We are modifying the hotel this year to make the rooms a bit quieter for our guest's comfort in our active, bustling and entertaining location here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive. We look forward to your next visit with us soon!

Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on 2/17 and 2/18 as part of our kid free adult vacation and we could not have found a better location, a better property or more accommodating staff. Upon early check in we upgraded to the Penthouse 16 Suite overlooking South Beach and the gorgeous Atlantic. The private terrace and hot tub was fantastic and perfectly maintained. Each night we were serenaded with the sounds of live bands echoing from the outdoor pubs below. The location is perfect as it is in the heart of the South Beach action and walking distance to dancing and night entertainment. I have seen poor reviews and would like to point out that South Beach is not really an ideal vacation destination for those couples with young children. Of course it's loud!! It's South Beach!! lol
The bellman, Mario and the entire staff were very accommodating and gracious. They were down to earth and simply cool.
The rooftop pool was a fun place to hang for an early morning tan yet the sun disappeared rapidly because of taller surrounding buildings. However the gorgeous beach is directly across Ocean Drive and the hotel supplies towels.
The inclusive breakfast was served fresh and hot and though not elaborate it was more than adequate and well presented with outdoor seating right along Ocean Drive; great for people watching.
Yes we will be back. Loved everything about this sexy place.:)

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jon_cayuga

We loved having you here with us! Thank you for your kind comments and observations about our active, entertaining location. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.