“Not ready to die yet!”

Hotel Breakwater South Beach
Ranked #107 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
“Not ready to die yet!”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Ok, so there's music, there are restaurants and there's definitely a vibrant nightlife and if you have done you homework this should be obvious. I don't quite get it that some folks complain about noise. Never noticed it but that might be the awesome G & T's they knock out at Oceans 10, one of the two bars that service the Breakwater. This hotel is rather delightful and rather a cut above many on South Beach, facilities are excellent though I did not reap the benefits of the resort fee - well other than WI FI - which many enjoy to the full, and that's my problem because 20 mins sunshine on the beach would lobsterise me to the point I would end up on the menu at Joe's Crab Shack. So I avoid the beach. Plenty of other things to do and so didn't need the beach stuff. Staff at hotel really helpful and you usually get a lovely warm welcome when returning from a hard day of doing as little as possible for as long as possible. Check out the Clevelander for a great happy hour between 5 and 7, back for a sleep and scrub up then the choice of places to eat is exceptional, with prices to suite all pockets. Now I liked The Betsy and Smith and Wollensky but then I do like my meat! Not good for veggies though I did not check out what they had on offer for them. Don't mind veggies but I can't manage a whole one. Anyway back to the Breakwater. Stayed in 305 looking inwards to the small courtyard and this was sheltered from the clubs - unless the G & T's had something to do with it. Room lovely and big with gorgeous bathroom, a safe that worked, plenty of storage and the most comfortable bed. I should really give this place a rubbish review so I can keep it all to myself! I will be back. Now who said that?

Room Tip: A room like 305 looking in to the courtyard. Not much of a view so go out for a walk!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
MiamiSunManagement, General Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
It was wonderful having you here with us! Thank you for your kind observations about our fun, active and energetic property. We look forward to serving you again during your next visit in the near future.

Best regards,

Chauncey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Russi, Italy
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Boucher Brothers and management, let me begin by saying it was my first time in South Beach. I am from Russia. I stayed at the breakwater hotel and thought i received good service up until I came out to the beach. I was helped by the beautiful young lady Sabrin whom made sure i had the coldest beverage as well as the freshest sandwich. Edward the beach attendant provided me with what id like to call the best service I've received in a long time of my business travels. He made sure i had an ocean front view no matter how busy it got. Sabrin and Edward attended to my every need throughout my week stay . Remembering my name, making it feel as if i was no stranger to them. 9st team is amazing! I will most definitely be returning not only to south beach but to this location as well. You guys are great! Thanks for making my stay pleasurable! - your new friend Oleg

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Located in the very center of Ocean Drive with all the core action you're expecting if you come to Miami Beach.
The staff is gentle and professional and the rooms are nicely Art Deco designed.
Certainly one of the most hype location in Florida !

• Stayed October 2013
Reviewed October 22, 2013

My cousin booked this hotel for Miami carnival/ Columbus day weekend. We stayed in the Junior suite which look great on the website but was much smaller than expected. I arrived a few hours earlier than everyone but I was able to drop off my luggage and hang out at the beach until it was time to check in. The room was clean and bed was comfy, this hotel get noisy at night because it connected to an outside bar. As a matter of fact Ocean drive gets pretty live at night. We didn't mind the noise we came to party and we enjoyed the sounds of Reggae and Soca music until 3am. Everyone that worked there was very friendly and professional. A few negatives we paid extra for (1) the Continental breakfast yuck!!! we had an option of a crispy croissant or toast with spoiled fruit. We ended up paying for breakfast somewhere else for the next 4 days (2) After my cousin took a shower the shower head come completely off she could've been hurt. (3) We had to call housekeeping to get toilet paper and towels almost daily. I do understand that it was a busy weekend. (4) The hotel keys hardly ever worked, it was difficult to get in the building or use the elevator we took the steps out entire stay it was very annoying. We asked for new keys and it still did not work. Overall it was a pleasant stay.

2 Thank 410Maryland
NY
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I have nothing but the best to say about Hotel Breakwater. I have stayed at this hotel previously in April 2013 and returned again in October for Columbus weekend and reffered my dad to get a room in this hotel as well. They are definitely a class above the rest !!!!!! I stayed in the pent house suite this time and loved it !!!!!!! Spacious, standing shower, jacuzzi, hot tub on the back porch with a day bed in the back and a spacious area for friends to come over and hang out.As usual service was always A+. I am now an offical Hotel Breakwater guest and will be staying no where else once I am in miami!!!! So convenient to everything (beach, food, drinks, parties)

Room Tip: Any room is A+
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 16, 2013

The hotel as a whole was a great experience. I had the superior oceanview room for 2 days and a regular superior room for last 2 days. The rooms look awesome and spacious for hotels on ocean drive on south beach. Me and my friends are young so noise didnt effect us. Disclaimer if your looking to sleep and not have any noise than don't stay on ocean drive, try hotels on collins ave. The location is incredible in the middle of everything and Clevelander right next door for eats and entertainment. Everything was good in hotel except for customer service. Several days when they service the rooms didnt give me any wash cloths, other towels and toilet paper. The key cards never worked properly. You have to swipe cards 10 time to get in the side doors, elevators and hotel rooms (THIS ISN'T A EXAGGERATION). Also, i called front desk for towels and ice (no ice machine on 4th floor) and three hours later wasn't send but they offered to take off resort fee for a day. The customer service isnt good, but had no problems with hotel room. Overall, its a good hotel on ocean drive that needs so work to its key cards and customer service. Lastly, we tried there hotel restarant for breakfast and was over priced, food wasn't good, bad service and wouldn't reccommend going there. I would stay in hotel again, but just know your key cards don't correctly work and customer service is not good.

Room Tip: if noise bothers you dont have ocean view room and i wouldnt recommend staying in the thick of ocean...
3 Thank JeffreyH617
quebec
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This hotel is right in the middle of the art deco district of Miami Beach, facing the beach. It is fully renovated. We were proposed a quiet room at the back of the building: this is a great idea if you want to sleep quietly. This zone in Miami Beach is in the middle of an outdoor dancing bars, so it is pretty loud after 23h... Room was clean, staff helpful. We found a deal through internet a few minutes before getting it: watch for specials ( 50%, 2 nights). We enjoyed complimentory bicycles, free longdistance calls. Watch for hidden fees: $35 a day for valet parking, $25 if you park yourself. The chairs at the beach are also complimentory but you have the rent the umbrella ( $15).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple