New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel Breakwater South Beach

Hotel Breakwater South Beach
Ranked #85 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
UK
“Great location and great rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Breakwater during our short break in Miami Beach in September 2013. We had read the less than positive reviews of the hotel but we had no such problems. Yes, the area is quite loud at night but that's Miami Beach! That said with the balcony door closed I could barely hear the music outside and it certainly didn't keep me awake.

After checking in we had a bit of a relax by the pool which was really wonderful, the water was warm, the sun was hot and the loungers were comfortable. What more could we want?

The room was a good size and was clean and well equipped. The bed was particularly good, I often get a poor sleep in hotels as the beds tend to be extremely soft and often quite small but no such problems here as the bed was very big and just the right firmness.

The only slight niggle was that the sliding door on the bathroom didn't want to stay closed and even if you wedged it closed it wasn't a very effective screen against the noises going on in the bathroom. The shower though was lovely, with a big shower head fixed to the ceiling and a hand held shower head. So rarely do hotels have hand held shower heads and as such I often find I leave the shower feeling as if I haven't rinsed myself properly. Not overly pleasant.

We have no complaints about our stay and would consider staying there again next time we are in Miami Beach.

2 Thank Paul E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

My husband and I spent the last 6 days at Breakwater, and we were absolutely in love! After reading some mixed reviews, I wasn't sure what to expect... we were very impressed! The hotel is in the perfect location in South Beach, which yes, is very loud - but then again, South Beach is not really somewhere you go for peace and quiet. Its centrally located on Ocean Drive, just steps from the beach, and blocks from shopping. Restaurants are everywhere, and the hotel has great food. The pool is amazing - it was basically a private pool for us the whole time, no one was there! The water is very warm, the chairs are comfortable and its a great atmosphere. The pool overlooks the bar/restaurant, which is always playing music. Its such a fun place to stay, and the staff is great too. After our first night, the A/C went out in our room, and they immediately upgraded us to a suite without hesitation. They are very upfront about costs - there is a resort fee ($18/day) but you are advised of the fee upon booking and checking in... plus, it is totally worth it. This includes free continental breakfast for your entire stay (when the woman realized it was my birthday, she upgraded our breakfast also!), free wifi, beach service (lounge chairs with cushions and towels, with bed upgrades also), free rental bikes available for check out, free iPad rental for 1 hour at a time, and so much more that I am missing! The rooms are great - we had an ocean front room on the second floor. Looking back, I wish I would have asked for a higher floor, since we were only on the second floor, our oceanfront view was blocked by a building. My only dislike is the price of drinks... but its almost the same everywhere you go. I would caution anyone traveling to south beach to ask for drink prices before ordering... they range from $10 for a 16 ounce frozen drink (sometimes even on happy hour special, and additional 50% off) to $45 for a 32 ounce drink... you just have to ask, but the cheaper deals are there. Overall, it was a great experience and I highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Ocean front with a balcony would be the best room choice!
1 Thank Nina G
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

Got a great deal on Groupon so it made my stay worth it. Can beat the location on Ocean Drive, right in the middle of the action: parties, restuarants, beach, shopping--with a big emphasis on PARTIES. Many of South Beach hotels are run down and badly in need of renovations. I loved the updated rooms in the Breakwater ... nice bathrooms with rain showers, well lighted, comfortable beds. I didn't interact with the staff much, but my check-in and out process was easy and pleasant. I arrived at 10am and was able to check in my room and head straight to the beach. Even though you are essentially paying for it ... it was nice to have the beach chair and towels available. David (beach attendant) was super accomdating and came around periodically to make sure everything was ok. Drinks at the bars at night when all the specials are over are ridiculously overpriced. The Mojoito my friend ordered was horrible and cost $16 with all the taxes and automatic gratuity added in. I enjoyed my stay and would return for the right price. I recommend this hotel for people who want to experience the Miami party scence and beach.

Room Tip: I stayed on the Clevelander side and the pool side of this hotel. I doubt there are any quite rooms...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

If you like to go to sleep before 1:30am on a weekday (we stayed Monday/Tuesday) don't stay here! We had a room facing the pool, which at night was adjacent to an outdoor nightclub that blasted music until 1:30am. It was impossible to sleep- even with earplugs! Also, don't expect the front desk to answer the phone after 10pm. The Breakwater has recently been renovated and the rooms are very nice and comfortable. I have no complaints about the room. If you are a partier and don't care about customer service after 10pm it's a good hotel because its right across the street from the beach and in the very heart of South Beach on Ocean Drive (We'll stay on Collins next time!)

• Stayed September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Winthrop, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

From the minute we walked in, everyone was so friendly and helpful. The front desk was great, helped us with every question we had. Our room was gorgeous and sunny! We went to the beach and the attendants were absolutely wonderful to us! I can't say enough good things about David & Sam. They were so sweet and accommodating. For a bit, we didn't have towels but David made sure we got them as soon as they came down from the hotel. He even remembered our names which was a breath of fresh air in this fast paced town.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Carpinteria, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

We came to Hotel Breakwater on Saturday Sept 14th - exhausted from a red eye - they were so kind and welcoming - promised to rush the readiness of our room - we rested at the great pool area equipped with plenty of umbrellas for shade that could be lowered if you wanted sun. The Hotel Breakwater gives you a true South Beach experience yet with an elevated comfort level. THE BEDS WERE AMAZING!!! The rooms are large by Art Deco South Beach standards. We stayed here two nights before a cruise and thank goodness we did as we had a very long baggage delay and we stayed here one night after because nothing is worse than coming off a cruise ship and going straight to the airport. When we walked in to the Breakwater after our cruise the staff welcomed us back and asked about our cruise - it felt like we were coming home. We were there well before check in and they hurried to get us into a room as quickly as possible. The provided us with water and warm smiles. I have stayed in many hotels in south beach and they were cold and unfriendly - this staff was top notch. Gorgeous private event space on the roof - cozy lobby just great I will never stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise just request one of the quieter rooms - this is south beach its party...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

I cannot say enough about how great the staff is and how nice the room is. Comfy bed and keurig coffee maker in room. Great shower and double sinks in bathroom. No problem with service either. Hotel is in the middle of two very hot night spots and is loud. We asked for a quiet room when we checked in, and they tried to accommodate. Noise didn't bother us, but light sleeper may have problems. Restaurant food looked great, but we didn't eat there. Walking distance for everywhere. Rooms include free wifi and vouchers for chairs on the beach.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room