“Your own private vip room(complete with bed and ocean view)”

Hotel Breakwater South Beach
Ranked #109 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
“Your own private vip room(complete with bed and ocean view)”
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

First let me start out by saying that if you're goal is a quiet,romantic beach getaway, this is not the hotel for you. But if that's the case, why come to Miami? Hotel Breakwater is indeed reflective of the town's party atmosphere, complete with a pool deck where drinks from the bar are served and a club located directly next door. Yes, the music plays until 4am and can be heard inside your room, but it's not so loud as to interrupt any private moments. If anything, it will drown out any cries of ecstasy, giving you license to let lose! My only qualm with my stay here was the fact that I wasn't notified beforehand about the $18 per night resort fee. Besides that, I found the service to be outstanding; we were given bottled water and beach towels upon our arrival, and later that evening the cognsierre suggested an awesome local Cuban restaurant.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Perfect location if you want to be in the middle of all the action. With that being said, the outdoor bar below is open til 5am and can be heard in the room...didn't bother me but some people may not be able to sleep because of it. The rooms were very nice and the staff were GREAT!! Only complaint is we called down twice for ice an more coffee, waited an hour and a half and it never came. Loved the complimentary books, computers, and bicycles! The patio below was okay - $65 for 2 clubhouses and 2 drinks, kinda pricey but everything seems to be in SoBe!

• Stayed July 2013
MiamiSunManagement, Front Office Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear k_landuyt,

Thank you for your review!! We appreciate the great news that you enjoyed your stay and would be happy to have you stay with us again.

Regarding the complaint about ice, having you wait is certainly not our standard and we thank you for informing us so we can address our guest needs and improve our services.

Please contact me directly at info@breakwatersouthbeach.com for your next stay in South Beach.

NYC
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I'm so happy I decided to stay here during my vacation! As soon as my friends and I got there we were greeted warmly. The staff really made sure we had everything we wanted/needed. We stayed at the rooftop suite. Our room had a beautiful view of Ocean Drive and a private hot tub outside! The room was spacious and everything was so clean and organized neatly. By staying at this hotel, we were able to experience everything South Beach has to offer. It is located right in front of the beach and near numerous restaurants and bars. I'm not sure why people complain about the noise from the clubs nearby. At night, our room was very quiet and peaceful. Our room was refreshed daily and our car was ready for us as soon as we called valet. We even got complimentary breakfast and bikes to ride around South Beach. Overall, I was very happy with my stay. I will definitely be staying at Hotel Breakwater during my next trip to Miami!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hotel Breakwater for a short weekend a few weeks ago and as I read the reviews before my trip, I was very hesitant but I went on ahead and booked a room. I stayed in the Penthouse suites. Not very much of a "Penthouse" if you ask me. The balcony was nice, the pull out couch had no sheets or covers. I spent almost $1,000 bucks for no microwave in the room or in the hotel. The refrigerator was filled with mini bar items, so there was no space to put cold drinks or leftover food. You would think a hotel on the beach full of tourists they would at least have the bare necessities down. The service sucked. It took us hours to get more clean towels,one of the employees actually hung up on us. Where are room was located we didn't hear much music at all. Although, I wouldn't recommend this hotel for a family. The pool was a waste, very small and dirty wet towels were everywhere so there was nowhere to sit. There was no breakfast offered, the shower in my room was like a college dorm shower, the water flooded everywhere. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone vacationing in Miami Beach. The restaurant attached to the hotel was just as bad (DON'T DO THE 2 FOR 1 DRINK SPECIAL!) one drink is $32!!! I suggest the owners and managers come together and work on having better customer service and treating their paying customers with respect.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank cartis_14
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I am no stranger to SOBE but this was by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. The Hotel Victor canceled my reservation 5 days before I was to come down on a holiday weekend and set me up at the Breakwater...how gracious and professional on their part!!? I was required to pay in full even though I had previously paid for the Hotel Victor and was given a room across from the elevator with the beautiful view of a concrete slab. The roof of the concrete slab seconded as a roof top bar which means the patrons could look directly into my room. I had to keep the dark navy shades pulled which blacked out my room. The floor boards had black gunk on them and the shower door had hard water stains as if it hadn't been cleaned. To add insult to injury a huge fist fight broke out across the hall from me leaving blood on the walls. In addition, the walls are so thin you can hear the "personal" moments of other guests at all times. I have always had a pleasant experience at the Dream South Beach, Eden Roc, and Sense. BTW not even a room comp or simple drink or dinner for the horrible experience was offered.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank lauren y
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2013

This great looking hotel was in a super location but unfortunately that was all there was. On arrival we were immediately walked across to the hotel next door. Our superior room was stylish and a good size unfortunately it overlooked an open air night club that went on until 4am both nights. The staff at reception were friendly. The staff in the restaurant very slow which was surprising considering there were only a few of us having breakfast. The rooftop area was shut for refurbishment. We requested our car bought round on the morning of departure but it didn't happen, we waited 40 minutes in the end although they were very apologetic it symbolised our stay here.

Room Tip: If you want a good nights sleep presumably one in the actual hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jane57_12
Dear Jane57_12,

Your comments mean a lot to us at Hotel Breakwater and our goal is to ensure that you, along with all of our guests, enjoy their entire stay from the moment they pull up to our front entrance.

With that being said, we would like thank you for voicing your concerns and rest assure that they will be addressed accordingly. We apologize if we did not meet your needs at this time but would love to hear from you in the future.

Please contact me directly at info@breakwatersouthbeach.com should you wish to discuss our service standards and assist you in your future visit to Miami Beach.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My stay was very unpleasant when in my hotel! I was place directly across from the Clevelander hotel, which equals loud outside clubbing all night! I had to call for housekeeping 3 out of my 5 nights. This was due to no refreshing of my room, the night crew had to come one evening and I couldn’t meet up for dinner with my friends because I couldn’t shower. All the towels had been soiled and the bathroom covered with beach sand everywhere. The housekeeper would neglect to leave wash clothes, and additional soap despite the fact that I was obliviously out. The “PH pool” was not open for the entire hotel guest, rather a very small pool area with no clean towels ever available or clean beach chair covers. My itinerary stated I would be staying in the Hotel Breakwater; however I was given a room in another part of the hotel, owned by them which had a whole different name on the building. There were never any bottles of water in the gym, as the staff of the hotel would regularly drink them all up, and no clean towels twice. The front desk response to me was, “well why you didn’t call”. I called every day for HOUSEKEEPING and I was not in the mood to spend my whole trip complaining about things that should have naturally occurred! I am totally dissatisfied with this booking and for the price paid I expected more. I believe some compensation or adjustment is due to me for my ruined vacation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank SweetBevy
Dear Sweetbevy,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Breakwater as your choice of destination while staying in south beach. We have read your review and sincerely apologize for our shortcomings. We value our guest feedback and consistantly review the comments to ensure we match our customers expectations.

Our Hotel prides itself in having the highest standards of cleanliness as do our housekeeping staff. Per the previous reviews, one can see that our Hotel works very hard to maintain a top level of consistency of cleanliness and service.

Please contact me at info@breakwatersouthbeach.com should you wish to discuss our service standards and assist you in your future visit to Miami Beach.