“WOW”

Ranked #109 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“WOW”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My stay was very unpleasant when in my hotel! I was place directly across from the Clevelander hotel, which equals loud outside clubbing all night! I had to call for housekeeping 3 out of my 5 nights. This was due to no refreshing of my room, the night crew had to come one evening and I couldn’t meet up for dinner with my friends because I couldn’t shower. All the towels had been soiled and the bathroom covered with beach sand everywhere. The housekeeper would neglect to leave wash clothes, and additional soap despite the fact that I was obliviously out. The “PH pool” was not open for the entire hotel guest, rather a very small pool area with no clean towels ever available or clean beach chair covers. My itinerary stated I would be staying in the Hotel Breakwater; however I was given a room in another part of the hotel, owned by them which had a whole different name on the building. There were never any bottles of water in the gym, as the staff of the hotel would regularly drink them all up, and no clean towels twice. The front desk response to me was, “well why you didn’t call”. I called every day for HOUSEKEEPING and I was not in the mood to spend my whole trip complaining about things that should have naturally occurred! I am totally dissatisfied with this booking and for the price paid I expected more. I believe some compensation or adjustment is due to me for my ruined vacation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank SweetBevy
MiamiSunManagement, Front Office Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Sweetbevy,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Breakwater as your choice of destination while staying in south beach. We have read your review and sincerely apologize for our shortcomings. We value our guest feedback and consistantly review the comments to ensure we match our customers expectations.

Our Hotel prides itself in having the highest standards of cleanliness as do our housekeeping staff. Per the previous reviews, one can see that our Hotel works very hard to maintain a top level of consistency of cleanliness and service.

Please contact me at info@breakwatersouthbeach.com should you wish to discuss our service standards and assist you in your future visit to Miami Beach.

Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Illinois City, Illinois
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I recently returned from a trip to Miami where I stayed in the Hotel Breakwater on Ocean Drive. Let me state, it appears people had different experiences while staying at the hotel. So let me just say that I can only speak on my experience during my stay. The staff at the hotel was awesome to me from the cleaning staff to the hotel manager. In particular one staff member (Marisol) checked with me daily during my stay to ensure all was well with me and my room. I did have a problem with face towels but it was taken care of quickly. The computers in the lobby and my Wifi work every time I needed them. I only wish I could have enjoyed the roof lounge at the hotel but it was being remodeled. The hotel is great for someone that likes to party or wants to be in the middle of things. The area is noisy and doesn't get quite until around 4:30 AM. Its Ocean Drive/Miami Beach at its best. My room was clean daily and the location, beach and hotel bar was great. My stay was during the Miami Heat Championship weekend. Thanks for a great job Hotel Breakwater staff. We all are human and sometimes things are outside our control. My stay was very good. Thanks.
-P. Chester

Room Tip: Room 212 gives you an excellent view of the pool and the court yard club below. Its also a very nice...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ChesterP313
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay while at the Breakwater!! Natalie was expecting my arrival and that made me feel special!! Both Kenia and Natalie were great! Kudos to them both! Thank you for making my mini vacay a great one!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Paris, France
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Inside the most attractive area of the DaDe County you can enjoy an incredible hotel full of life and history. '20's style but with incredible sourroundings. In the middle of Ocean Drive in a "full of life" South Beach. What can I say... Incredible rooms (Ocean Dr. view), superb mohjitos at the "Ocean's Ten" and the most attractive places of South Beach at a few minutes of walkin'.
Great for all young and not young people who want to live deeply Miami, night and day.
Just une problem: rooms are not very quite and isolated from the outside noises.
Overall... an experience!!!

Room Tip: If you want to have a rest without noise... no rooms on Ocean Drive... But if you want to have a loo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My family came to visit and stayed at Breakwater for a week. I was very impressed by the chic decor and great service; this is definitely something I didn't expect of an hotel located in Ocean Drive. The Art Deco architecture is stunning and even if Ocean Drive is a very touristic place inside of the hotel is quiet and edgy. The room was comfy and spotless clean, very well maintained common areas. Service good in general. For a week was very good, they were able to walk literally everywhere in South Beach and is just right in front of the beach. There is a restaurant in the 1st level that I do not remember the name but was convenient for breakfast however the food was just average. During the weekend Ocean Drive got very busy but they enjoyed their stay.

Room Tip: Because Ocean Drive is a busy street make sure to request a quiet room at check in.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Well, let me begin my stating my disappointment in the service and stay at your hotel. My first two days my room was not cleaned, the Wifi did not work, telephone never worked, and I had to wait for towels. I requested to talk with the manager but he or she never returned my call. This hotel was a great disappointment for me and my staff.

Room Tip: Look again
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Garrett M
Dear Garrett M,

Let me first express my sincere apologies regarding your stay at Hotel Breakwater South Beach. We pride ourselves on our customer service and always strive to provide a top notch experience.

Secondly, your comments do not go unnoticed and will be addressed appropriately. We are very thankful to hear our customers feedback to ensure that we can improve.

Please contact me directly at info@breakwatersouthbeach.com for your next stay in South Beach.

Thank you.

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We booked our room back in April for this trip, a one night stay after attending a wedding. At the time, we had no clue that our stay would be on the same night that the NBA Finals Game 7 would be played in Miami. The room was a 'complementary upgrade' to a junior suite, which impressed us. We were in the second building (formerly, the Edison Hotel) on the third floor, oceanview, room 332. The room was gorgeous, and we felt blessed to be there. King sized bed, plush sitting area, iPod docking alarm clock, Keurig coffee, stocked minibar, amazing bathroom with double vanity, terry robes and rainfall shower.

Rony was an amazing bellman, who gave us plenty of tips about where to go and eat. Ana checked us in, and was quite accommodating. The power went out in half of our room when we plugged in our phones, and it turned out that we blew a fuse. Also, the internet never worked, so we were refunded our resort fee because of it.

Since this hotel is in the heart of Ocean Drive, we expected it to be well trafficked, which it was. Due to the excitement from the game, there were even more people around, which we found crowded (to no fault of the hotel). Once the game started, we found that we couldn't escape the play by play (the hotel restaurant was showing it on a big screen, and the commentary on the stereo speakers) as was The Clevelander across the street. We decided to go to the roof to watch the game (The Clevelander used their hotel wall as a screen, and again, we heard the game fine, in stereo). No one was on the roof, and we thought it was amazing that we had access, without disturbing the penthouse guests.

However, once The Miami Heat won the game, the celebrations started. The room walls and windows had been soundproofed, which we appreciated, but as soon as you opened our room door, the emergency exit door was just to the left...and not sound proofed. Because of this, we heard the outside music well into the night, until around 4am.

This is a great hotel, but I hope to never visit again while a celebration is going on. The hotel didn't even offer us the ear plugs I read that they gave others.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple