“If you want parties, alcohol and a beautiful beach...”

Hotel Breakwater South Beach
Ranked #115 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I surprised my wife for her 29th birthday with a weekend in South Beach. After a lot of research I decided that I wanted to be in the middle of the party on Ocean Drive between 9th and 10th to get a perfect feel of what this beach is all about! When you stay around this location a car is not needed, you are within walking distance of shopping centers, clubs, restaurants, beach, etc.

As for the Breakwater goes…It was between very good and Excellent. You have to consider the fact that this is not a resort, it doesn’t try to be one either. Customer service is GREAT. The team took care of us and we felt that if we had any issues they would be more than willing to fix them. Everything looked clean and fresh.

Some fees to consider:
$35 all day Valet Parking (24 hour period) get you car as many times as you want!
$18 resort fee: Includes the following - towels for the beach and beach chair (no umbrella), unlimited phone calls from room, international too!, bicycle rentals (2 Hours max. per rental), internet in the lobby, pool, gym and spa.

Continental breakfast was included in our Double Superior room.

Room Tip: Talk to the front desk staff, they will make every effort to find something that suits your needs/wa...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,822)

Reviewed June 17, 2013

One week early I stayed in Hotel Avalon. I payed there 30% less tem in Breakwater. So, I hope the in Breakwater everything will be better. It's not happedend. The room was small, the service was terrible, the breakfast a shame, poor. The resort tax an absurd. So, I will never indicate this hotel for any friend. For example, One day I ask my car in the lobby and it cames after 45 minutes(payinf U$ 33,00 a day). In the pool, I never find towers there. Three times I tried to talk with the front desk from my room. They never answer the fone. All the times it was necessarly to go down and ask the service,

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
MiamiSunManagement, Front Office Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear betoppo,

Thank you for your feedback. Your comments mean much to us and are being reviewed by management. We take great pride in delivering the best services to our guests and as the reviews show service is our highest mission. We sincerely apologize for not meeting your needs while staying with us but hope to have a future opportunity.

Please contact me directly at info@breakwatersouthbeach.com for your next stay in South Beach.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We really liked this hotel right in the middle of the action in South Beach, but we had a room away from the noise of the street (ask for one) and the bars (just some early morning garbage truck noise). The room had lots of space, was well laid out, with many amenities. The staff were friendly and efficient, and were helpful in responding to questions we had. The green colour decorating scheme was uplifting and the atmosphere, fun. You can walk almost anywhere in South Beach, but definitely walk the beach if you want to avoid the 'calls' to enter the many bars!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Our June 7 - 10 trip to SoBe was to celebrate with our daughter on her 30th birthday and to witness her boyfriend's marriage proposal. It was very emotional; it was great; she said "yes" and we all cried. The only damper was the cost of the dinner at the 530 Ocean restaurant which, even with a Groupon, was close to a whopping $400 for the 4 of us!!! And unless you have no problem paying $20 for a shot of booze (this is not a misprint), don't ever have a drink or a shot of booze there. (This was NOT at the restaurant at the Breakwater. More on that later). Also, be aware that a tip AND a service charge are included in the check total.

Now to the other stuff - the Breakwater Hotel was really very nice although the floor squeaked a bit in room number PH5 and the swimming pool was very small. And if loud music at 2AM is a problem, get a room away from the courtyard. The staff, as represented by Anna at the front desk and Manuel in housekeeping, was fantastic. The entertainment at the covered, outdoor stage/bar/courtyard area was also great and the beach (just across the street from the hotel) was wonderful. The restaurant at the Breakwater, however, or more specifically, the morning hostess at the restaurant at the Breakwater was EXTREMELY rude and all but killed our Breakwater experience. We complained to management and found out that the restaurant is not owned by the hotel but is a separate entity.

Bottom line - we would definitely stay at the Breakwater again and we would hang out and party on the SoBe "strip." But we would NOT eat or drink there. Instead, we would go to a wonderful outdoor area at Espanola Way and Washington Avenue which is about a 9 block walk from the hotel and closed to vehicular traffic . The food is better and is VASTLY less expensive. (See http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g34439-d527277-Reviews-Espanola_Way-Miami_Beach_Florida.html).

Room Tip: If sleep is important, ask for a room facing away from the courtyard.
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Being my first Miami experience, I wanted to ensure I stayed in a great hotel. Not only is Hotel Breakwater great, it's everything I hoped it would be and more! We were so warmly greeted! The staff put us right into the positive and lively Miami vibe. They took great care of us from start to finish! They took our luggage before we even stepped foot into the hotel, they gave us a thorough explanation of everything we needed to know about our stay, they even stopped at our room mid-afternoon to see if we needed anything! (We loved the fluffy robes). The hotel is absolutely spotless from the lobby to our room. There are plently of travel toiletries. The rooms have really good blinds to keep the light out and don't forget the ipod docking station! A must in prep-time! The pool is beautiful! and clean!!! And the food could not be better! Curtis at the front desk was outstanding! The entire staff was very courtieous and polite. I will be returning over and over and will consider this my Miami home! Hotel Breakwater is a must-stay for your vacay!

*Sonya

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This is a great hotel for both couples and singles...but this is a party hotel, so if loud music from the onsite restaurant/bar/club at 3am bothers you...don't stay here. Hotel is in a great location at 10th and Ocean, next door to the Clevelander, on the same block as Mango's and two blocks from Wet Willies...and of course the beach is just across the street.

The hotel overall is very nice, most guests are young people just looking to have a good time in south beach...a mix a couples and singles. The Ocean's 10 restaurant/bar has live music Thurs-Sat and a DJ starting a midnight...the place gets pretty live and jumping! Staff was very attentive and helpful. Hotel has a resort fee of $18 per night which includes two beach chairs and towels out on the beach, bicycle rental and that's about it.

Rooms were some of the biggest I've been in in South Beach and pretty good size for the money...rooms were clean and very nice and comfy. Pool is in a unique location right about the restaurant/bar...location gives you the feeling that you can see everything that's going on but are still kinda secluded.

This hotel exceeded my expectations and I'll definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you get a room in the tower that used to be the Edison hotel it will get very loud on that side a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ron W
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I had a great time on my first trip to Miami. My friends and I stayed for Memorial Day Weekend (May 23-27). Although all of the rumors we have heard over the years we had a fantastic time. The hotel is conveniently located right in the middle of South Beach and across the street from the actual ocean. Hint Hint "Ocean Dr" lol. Our suite was really nice and spacious. It was 4 of us and we all slept comfortably. The staff was always willing to help. My friends mentioned Curtis, from the front desk, gave great tips on restaurants and must sees in Miami. We did not get to eat the hotel's restaurant but the food looked great. The hotel's continental breakfast was good. The croissants were my fave. Miami Beach is a beautiful city, completely opposite of what I am used to in Chicago. I am already planning on visiting Miami again this year and I will be booking my stay with Hotel Breakwater. I can't wait!

Room Tip: Suites are large and feature great amenities.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends