“Hotel to avoid”

Ranked #109 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Dallas, Texas
“Hotel to avoid”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We have a "penthouse" room on the Fourth floor. There are only four floors. Our room is a courtesy arrangement by Hotel Ocean who despite confirmation and voucher didn't have a room for us. These hotels are squeezed into blocks of charming art deco buildings on Ocean Drive. The room was pleasant. It's size testimony to pricey real estate and the age of the building. At nearly midnight we're trying to decide if we want to venture out to buy earplugs. Earlier after returning from a day out (we were in Miami for the boat show) my husband realized mid-shower that the only towels in the bathroom were hand towels. The cleaning staff took the towels and didn't replace them. After two phone calls and about 45 minutes a sullen staff person rapped on our door and gave me the towels. The trash can in the bedroom had not been emptied. Breakfast was horrible...poached eggs that were undercooked, enormous sausage links, someone's idea of an American breakfast. The food is not wonderful. Miami Beach is not the United States; it's the United Nations. I advise as in another review here that you take earplugs...noise-canceling ones. This neighborhood is a boisterous one. This hotel is expensive and is not a good value for the price. Too bad because it's such a cute hotel. Valet and front desk personnel are extremely gracious. This hotel and any others on this street that don't provide enough high floors to avoid the street noise for a night's rest should be avoided.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Catherine D
MiamiSunManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear 4429,

Thank you for choosing our Hotel Breakwater as your choice of destination in the ever multicultural and diverse Miami Beach. We have read your review and sincerely apologize for our shortcomings. Our Hotel prides itself in having the highest standards of cleanliness as do our housekeeping staff. Per the previous reviews, one can see that our Hotel works hard to maintain a top level of consistency of cleanliness and service. Please contact us at info@breakwatersouthbeach.com should you wish to discuss our service standards and assist you in your future visit to Miami Beach.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Ok so you know you're getting noise at this hotel if you read Trip Advisor, so I was prepared. Let's face it you are bang in the middle of everything on Ocean Drive so it isn't going to be early nights and a mug of cocoa.
True to form we had a room facing the Clevelander and things had already started to heat up with the MC working the crowd. The windows can be tightly shut and the noise is muffled quite a bit but light sleepers beware. Anyway the room was clean and well proportioned for South Beach. In the bathroom we had a huge walk in shower and lots of nice products as well as bath robes etc . Coffee machine was also very good.

Things of note also include the desk service which was good, porter who was excellent, B&W pictures throughout the hotel that were a nice touch. The pool is a bit mental, probably more a novelty than practical unless you want SOBE to see your wobbly under carriage underwater.

Altogether we had a good stay, location couldn't really be more in the middle of things, staff were very good, clean rooms, nice public areas but you do get constant noise in your room and on the Monday eve/Tues Morn I did get up to use the toilet at 3.30am and things were still banging away across the road...fortunately I can sleep through anything. At the end of the day booking this hotel and complaining about music noise is like booking a cruise and complaining about the sound of the sea.

Room Tip: Well try and get a room that isn't opposite the Clevelander, unless you like a lively view from...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stayed with a travel companion at the Breakwater Dec. 24th -27th for a short holiday get-away. I am a former Florida resident and have frequented SOBE often. This boutique hotel is in the art deco area...loved it! Location is great! If you want to save money walk a few blocks away from ocean drive, great food, shops, better pricing. If you don't like to walk SOBE is not for you or you can waste money renting a car. Oh went to the Christmas Day Miami Heat Game took bus back to hotel (taxi there we were running late) it took 9 min tops and was $2!
Ok hotel specifics! Lobby was so pretty. The Christmas tree and deco amazing. We had complimentary champagne all day everyday! AK at front desk was there for our EVERY need!!!! My travel companion was very high maintenance. (Sorry AK and Jose :) Let me tell you how awesome this hotel is! I am a smoker and this is a non-smoking hotel, it was kind of chilly at night, and I didn't mind not only leaving room but going outside! The food was just ok but that is most of ocean drive if you ask me. I think I forgot my favorite blue and white swimsuit there and I already called but forgot to call back. Jose answered and remembered me he is so nice. If you want a quiet peaceful vacation I don't suggest South Beach for you. If you want beach and fun with dancing ect this is a perfect place to stay! Location!Location! Location! Oh and the rooms were well attended and so art deco chic!

Room Tip: The rooms facing the courtyard are great for sleeping. We never heard a peep!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was in the middle of the action. Across the road from the beach . Easy walk everywhere.
The room was a great size and always clean.
Staff were super helpful with any enquiries we had and help book appointments for us.

Fantastic stay!!

• Stayed January 2013
North Port, Florida
Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel, but absolutely no soundproofing whatsoever! At least we came prepared, thanks to another review on here, we came with earplugs. There is music playing until past 4 am, then we were awakened, at 7am by the sound of the valets who seemed to know everyone on the street and chatted away very loudly. We had an ocean view room, smaller size, but this hotel is in the deco district so we knew the rooms would be small. Linens on the bed were soft and the towels in the bathroom were plush and also soft. Shower head was amazing, centered in the ceiling of the shower similar to a rain shower. We spent most of the Saturdayout and about and came back to the room at 3:30 to discover our room had not been cleaned, we grabbed a room attendant and got clean towels and figured I'd dint matter anyway. We did walk across the beach only to find that there were no towels available, didn't fancy lying on a plastic beach chair at that point. The only meal we ate at the hotel was breakfast, which was overpriced. Happy to say that we stayed in South Beach, deco district but would not stay there again.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Suzanne S
Haarlem, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 4, 2013

When I arrived to Miami, I was unfortunately sick so I had to ask help from reception. They arranged house/hotel visit for this doctor, it was great I didnt have to worry about anything. They arranged help, provided me thee etc. for free. We stayed in the penthouse and it was fab. bed and room was big and we had ocean view. I like the hotel and people working there, it was bit pricy but I dont go to Miami "every day" food was also excellent at the hotel. I liked this place and if you want to stay in Ocean drive all hotels are bit more expensive.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Riitta_2013
long island new york
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Stopped in for dinner only nite before Super Bowl. Crowded on a Saturday nite, but we were seated in a nice spot outside. Professional and efficient service brought drinks quickly. The paella with lobster was excellent. Price was reasonable. Our waitress Erica worked hard and was very pleasant. Recommended for Ocean Drive South Beach dining.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business