“Amazing Time! Thank You Hotel Breakwater!”

Hotel Breakwater South Beach
Ranked #115 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Hotel staff is AMAZING... Tatiana, Jose, Juan, Gabby, MaryJ just to name a few! Do yourself a favor and stay here! Clean modern rooms/ great bar/ across the street from the beach/ next door to the Clevelander! We had a wonderful stay! Be back soon Hotel Breakwater! From the fun crazy girls from Indiana!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,822)

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Jan 5 A last minute trip to the BCS BOWL game turned out to be one of the best ever for me and my daughter. From the moment I walked into the lobby i was made to feel wecome, at home and that everyone on the staff wanted this to be a great experience for us. Amanda sweet and precious and so gracious started us off attending to our every need. What a special young lady! Each day she made sure to inquire if we needed anything or what service she could help us with. Natalie was a jem also. The bell captains were so nice and always asked if we were enjoying our stay and wanted to be helpful especially Alfie. Our room was a great mini suite with balcony and the heavenly beds are really heavenly. Our room was over OCEAN TENS CLUB with DJ and live band that rocked it out with a vibe. I am a senior and wanted to experience South Beach even if I was not completely in the middle of it all. Sleep was never an issue I can sleep at home. Thanks again Amanda for making all this happen. I loved this hotel and the staff who felt more like friends I was staying with that wanted me to enjoy their home and city. I would highly recommend a stay at at the Breakwater, the location and ambience just can't be beat. If you want cookie cutter, stay at a Hyatt. This boutique hotel is great and i hope to be able to return soon. FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank grandmotherwee
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Chose this hotel because I got a great deal and the location is great. I went with trepidation because of some bad noise reviews. There was some noise at night from music outside. However, we live in NYC and found the noise to be a complete non-issue. I'd go back without hesitation.

Rooms were very modern and clean, very comfortable bed. Location is perfect, right across from the beach with free chairs and towel. Also free bike rental which we used and enjoyed.

Now, the staff. Absolutely top notch! We couldn't believe it. They were routinely attentive enough to match hotels at five times the price. I mean it. They really made our stay here and I am comfortable recommending this hotel to all my friends and colleagues. Our stay here was a very pleasant surprise...wonderful.

Last but not least, I showed up with my tennis gear hoping to find a match or at least hitting a partner. After failing to set up a match/lesson/hitting partner a few times for various reasons the hotel manager, Jaime, actually offered to drive me to the courts he plays at after work to play! Talk about going above and beyond. Incredibly thoughtful and I won't forget it.

Thank you Jaime and Hotel Breakwater staff!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank zosojjc
Reviewed January 8, 2013

When we arrived here we knew we'd booked the perfect location for us: across from the beach, close to nightlife, a hotel with class and character and a bell hop that would provide you anything your heart desired. The club next door is noisy until the late hours and the hotel warned us of this but we live in Hollywood and are used to the night scene so it didn't bother us. We left saying, "we'll be back...."

Room Tip: Don't stay on the north side of the hotel if you don't want noise.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed at this hotel, for my 50th birthday, I had such an amazing time! The rooms were spacious, modern and overall comfortable! We checked in late that night due to flight delays, when arriving at the hotel we were greeted by an amzing smile the would lighten up anyones day! and after a long flight and issues with the airline I coudnt have asked for a better Front desk agent, Jose helped us, with our luggages, offered us bottle of water, and was very well informed of the property and local areas, mentioned to us about the free international, local, and long distance calls, which was quite a suprise, he also mentioned they had bikes free of charge for us to use, and beach acess, whick included chairs and towels. He was so attentive. This hotel should be proud of having such a great employee. We stayed a total of 8 nights, After reading some of these reviews it amazes me how people think that South beach is a place to come and sleep, the noise is expeted, its the heart of Ocean Drive, if you want quiet dont come to the number one tourist spot in Miami, use your common sense, however My family and I stayed in an Ocean front penthouse, and there was no noise at all! we slept like babies, and wow are those beds comfortable! Jose became like family and after finding out it was my birthday, he sent up a comp bottle of champagne, and breakfast vouchers to enjoy at the lovely Nine restaraunt which is right down stairs. We will be back again this hotel and staff were GREAT!!!

Room Tip: Theres quiet rooms, just ask.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 2, 2013

It was my 7th year attending Art Basel. This was the loudest hotel I have ever stayed in, in the 7 years staying on Ocean Drive. Music from the Clevelander Hotel across the street went on, full blast until 3am. The hotel's own courtyard played music incredibly loud until 2am (two tables were eating dinner who did not seem particularly interested in the pulsating beat).We stayed Tuesday - Friday morning.

The hardware in our shower fell off, we had an only cold water shower once. Our friends stayed in another room and had to take several cold water showers. The staff explained that there was some "special way" to use the hardware - our friend is an architect who fixes his own plumbing when necessary, turning on a shower shouldn't be so hard as to require an explanation.

Although the reception staff couldn't have been sweeter on the surface they were very close to completely ineffective in resolving issues.

Our last night, they downgraded us to a non-ocean front room so there would not be thumping club noise until 3 am and then charged us an extra $40 for an INTIMACY KIT (laughable because we were female friends staying in a room together) and chocolate chip cookies. We never touched the mini-bar. The lobby is empty and tacky. There is an long restaurant/bar like room that is under construction that one must walk through to get to the elevator.

We booked through Jet Setter which had had great recommendations up until now (I had used and trusted them for 2 years and 6 hotels throughout the world). It is shocking that they claim to have sent a representative to check this hotel out in advance of offering it on their site. For some odd reason Jet Setter and the hotel kept telling us our bad experience had to do with "Art Basel" and the very busy week they had from it. In all my years in South Beach for the fair, none of the other hotels had any issues handling what should be a successful close to sold out few days.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Nancy_Sue_13
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Hotel is right at Ocean drive, unlike the other hotels, this was fully renovated, so it has very nice, modern rooms with great bathroom. Pool is funny, as people swiming are visible from restaurant under. Very cool place is top floor, with a great view. With free wifi it's perfect outside office, if you need one.

Room Tip: For breakfast go rather to News Cafe.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple