“Ripping off tourists”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Flamingo / Lummus
“Ripping off tourists”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

They advertise dishes ranging from 10 to 30 dollars, but we were foolish enough to order the daily specials. Paella for two and two times mixed grill for two people. That turned out to be enough food to feed a small army, we could hardly eat one third of it. With one drink each they changed our party of six over 500 dollars! Worst rip off I have ever experienced. The food was mediocre at best. The paella was very salty and the meat chevy

2 Thank oskbor

• Polish first
Miami, Florida
“Beware of the happy hour”
Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Great service and great value if you don't order anything else but the specials of the day. Damian our server was extra-superprimo. The Carlyle continues to be one of our favorites in-spite of the trickery ;). Of course I had my second Margarita and the headed to the airport.

Tampa, Florida
“Buyer Beware!”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Just went to South Beach for the afternoon and ended up at the Carlyle for lunch. Had we read some of the other reviews, I'm sure we would have passed. Several reviews stated that they were shocked at the drink prices when they received the bill. Well, I asked the waitress the price of the martinis and she told me that they were $12. Not too unreasonable for S. Beach. However, when we received the bill, she charged us $14.99. When I asked her about the discrepancy, she said "Well, I told you that the martinis were 'about' $12". We were also charged an additional $1.00 when my daughter asked for pickles on her hamburger (which she didn't get) and a $0.50 "donation" which we were never told about. I'm certainly not against donating to charitable organizations, but not when it is forced upon me without my knowledge. The manager did handle the situation appropriately, but it would be a much better dining experience if we never had to talk to a manager about the miscellaneous upcharges that this restaurant seems to have as their standard policy.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank G-Sean
Tampa, Florida
“Buyer Beware!”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I wish we had read the reviews before we ended up at this restaurant. We had a very similar experience to other reviewers. Several things on the bill were misleading. They automatically add a $.50 "donation" to the bill. This can be removed if you ask, but I'm sure more than a few people don't notice this additional charge. My daughter asked for pickles on her hamburger, but her hamburger didn't have any when it came. Then they added a $1.00 charge for a "side" of pickles. And lastly, the price that the waitress quoted me for the martini was not the price that showed up on the bill. The manager did handle the situation appropriately, but it's annoying to have to speak to a manager just because of additional blind charges added to a bill unbeknownst to the customer.

Los Angeles, California
“Pricey but then it Was Ocean Drive”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

What attracted us to this establishment was the look of the food on people's plates as we passed through. So we tried it. I have to say the Shrimp cocktail was tasty, as was my Chicken Breast. I cannot fault the quality of the food. Pricey admittedly, but we are talking Ocean Drive. The wine at $40 for a somewhat mediocre bottle of Pinot Grigio was, again typical Ocean Drive. I was enjoying the ambience nonetheless until a family of Romanian gypsies too over the area and blocked the way so the serving staff couldn't get to us, but that was not the fault of the Carlyle. The bill came to $220 for two people one bottle of wine a starter and main and a couple of cocktails. I can't complain too much about the price, apart from the Romanians, everything else was spot on.

• Visited January 2013