“OK food, Ambushed by the Bill”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Carlyle Cafe

The Carlyle Cafe
Ranked #807 of 1,074 Restaurants in Miami Beach
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Flamingo / Lummus
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“OK food, Ambushed by the Bill”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

I went to the Carlyle for dinner on 23 September. I wanted to go to the site where "The Bird Cage" was filmed, even if it was a bit cheesy. When I sat down (I was eating alone) the waitress asked if I wanted a drink, and when I asked for a recommendation, she replied, "Mojito." I ordered a mango mojito and a main course. Within 2 minutes a 60 oz mojito was delivered to my table. I don't know about most people, but 60 oz of strong alcohol is a bit much for me with dinner. The food was okay (Shrimp "Barcelona"), nothing to write home about. When the bill came it was for almost $93: $23 for the main course and $49.99 for the mojito (the rest was tax and the tip that apparently all South Beach restaurants automatically include in the bill). At that point all I could do was pay, but I was VERY put out that the waitress had brought me a drink that appeared to be made for 2 people and that the price of that mojito was outrageous. Don't get me wrong, the bartender was not conservative with the alcohol, but the entire meal was ruined by the feeling that I had been ambushed. My fault? Perhaps, for not asking the price of the drink (prices are not included on the drink menu), but I think that a responsible server would have asked me if I wanted a "normal" sized mojito. Word to the wise: Avoid this place: 1) If you want good food, and 2) If you don't like surprises on your bill.

• Visited September 2012

• Polish first
Scotland
“"Error" in change”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stopped for a seat and a drink on a hot afternoon and just had a couple of Sprites.  Over $8 for a couple of glasses of pop is expensive, but hey!  It's South Beach, so didn't mind that at all.

Tip was included in the bill.

When I checked my change I found I was a dollar short.  The waitress was profusely apologetic for her error and corrected it immediately.  Error? Hmmmmm?  You decide!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Good seafood”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

I have been there at daytime for a lunch without drinks. I had a pretty good seafood and shrimp meal and location is very nice. No complaints.

• Visited August 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
“Total ripoff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

Location is good and that's the only good thing about this place. IF you do end up going here, find out the price of the drinks before ordering and remember they add the tip to the check. They totally do not deserve the tip %. They do not have prices on the menu but we didn't expect a cheaper place on Ocean dr though the terrible thing is they say 2nd round drinks on the house and when we did end up ordering a 2nd drink, they said the drinks we ordered not included in the offer. Ripoff!!!. The waitress did not warn us about that when we ordered our drinks though we checked with her about the 2-for-1 offer, the only info she shared with us is that they have a 2 for 1 deal on drinks. Terrible service, awfully expensive prices even for Ocean dr. One of the drinks we ordered was $45. Since there's no price on the menu, we just paid and got out of there as quickly as we could. Similar incident happend with another restaurant next door so beware of this scam on Ocean drive.

• Visited September 2012
Boca Raton, Florida
“no good”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

Very expensive. Very rude staff. They will hide the $9 menu and will frown on you when you ask for it. Shady place!

Visited September 2012