“This is a great & affordable hotel.”
Review of Dream South Beach

Dream South Beach
Ranked #55 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
USA
“This is a great & affordable hotel.”
Reviewed October 14, 2010

My friend and I's (we are in our late-20s) hotels criterias is that it is affordable, clean and convenient (and safe). This hotel met all that and more. We were both very pleased.

In checking in, the staff were very nice. They gave us details and information of the "going-ons" in town (they also have towels and beach chairs you can borrow). They offered to come in and show us how to use the lighting of the rooms (we declined, my friend figured it out right away but I can see where one might need some help). The rooms are small, clean and slick (in a sophisticated way).

Once you go into the room, the bathroom is on your right, the shower is on the left and then you walk into your bed area. The bed area and the shower/bath area is separated by a lattice door. There is a flat screen TV (we did not utilize it), and an iPod docking station (very nice). Clean towels everyday. My favorite part of this hotel is that it has plenty of outlets. In all my travels, I've always had a hard time finding enough outlet (and never enough after I have to share them with my friends) but this one had just enough for my friend and I (dSLR, compact camera, 2 laptops, 2 cellphones, a camcorder, e-book reader, mp3). Kudos to Palmer House!

Another thing that I felt that they went above and beyond was that I became dehydrated the 1st night and needed some medicine to also help with my dizziness. My friend called the front desk to see if they had any medicine. They did not but offered to go out to get it for us (in the rain). Another star for ya!

The room was never very bright (I like very bright rooms) like I had wanted (it was fairly lighted, cozy and romantic). But we never stayed very long for it to bother me. We were in to change, out to run and back in to sleep. :-]

Free wi-fi (I love it). I think they also had a computer up front. Very closed walking distance to Lincoln. All around the hotel is tourist shop and restaurants. It's not the hottest spot but for the price and value, this is a great hotel!

For those traveling to SoBe for fun, we did everything backwards. Go get a Hanna Tattoo first (if you don't have any real ones), get a sports package deal (where you can go para-sailing, snorkeling and jet-ski) and check out Miami Spice (I do have to say, my friend and I enjoyed foods but the restaurants on the Miami Spice was not very good but it may be what other people are looking for) . It rained everything in SoBe but it was a hit and go.

When we were there, we didn't see a pool (if that is important to anyone).

Before choosing this hotel, we had read some other reviews and this other commenter had indicated that this could be more of a 'couples' hotel. I didn't realize what they meant until we checked our rooms out! It really is. :-) However, my friend and I are just good friends and enjoyed our stay. We would come back again.

Happy Travel,
Joei

Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
PalmerHouseSoBe, Manager at Dream South Beach, responded to this review, October 18, 2010
Wow! Thanks for your very nice and detailed review! We are really happy that you and your friend had a great time in SoBe, and we're glad that we were able to take care of you both. We hope to see you both again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Hebrew first
Winterthur, Switzerland
Reviewed October 11, 2010

Dear Peggy, John, Juliana, Yahaira, Thomas, Kendra, Llyod, Joseph, Andre,

We would like to THANK YOU all so much for this amazing 2 weeks we could spent in your absolutly great Hotel. The servie you provide is more than excellent. Every wish, every question you could answer easlily. You can be proud of your staff. I will definitely come back when the restaurant and pool will be open as well. The Hotel is greatly located in 3 min you are on the ocean drive with its restaurants and bars as well from the gorgeous beach. I wish you all a great time and we will see us for sure another time.

Dani

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
PalmerHouseSoBe, Manager at Dream South Beach, responded to this review, October 14, 2010
Very nice! All the Staff here at Palmer House had an excellent time taking care of you and your friend. Thanks for being such fun guests and always sharing the tales of your adventures with us at the Front Desk - we all had a great time hearing them! We definitely can't wait to see you both back at the Palmer House!
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed October 11, 2010

Me and my husband stayed in Palmer house for 8 nights and we really enjoyed our time there, everything was perfect starting from the decoration of the interior of the hotel and rooms till the excellent service of all the staff of the hotel. We booked the hotel through its website and we were never expecting that the reality will be exactly as the pictures we saw on the internet, the hotel is clean, the rooms are amazing, the staff is very friendly, the location is in the center of everything and still very quite so you get a good sleep at night.
We really want to thank Youssef for his advice and help on how to take advantage of each day in our trip, giving us tips on the hot spots and nice restaurants. We really want to thank Peggy for her support to one of our friends who has a small problem that has nothing to do with the hotel, but still she went the extra mile and helped him solving it.
Actually we want to thank the whole team there for the excellent service.
We strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
PalmerHouseSoBe, Manager at Dream South Beach, responded to this review, October 11, 2010
Just what we love to hear - sounds like you had an awesome time while in South Beach! Thanks for your very nice comments about Youssef and Peggy; they both really enjoyed being able to take care of you and your friend. Thanks so much for the great review, and all of us here can't wait for you to return and visit us again at the Palmer House!
Alkmaar, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 10, 2010

We only stayed for just one night at the hotel, but despite our short stay we really enjoyed the luxury at the hotelroom. What a classy and stylish hotel! Our compliments for al the hard work the last months!

Jochem & Kim
the Netherlands

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Short, yet oh-so so sweet! Thanks for your lovely review, and we definitely can't wait to see you again soon!
UK
Reviewed October 9, 2010

We'd stayed on Ocean Drive before and wanted to see what Collins Avenue was like. We couldn't have chosen a better option than the Palmer House. It's a historic Deco building whch has been lovingly updated and gives many contempory hotels a run for their money.

The rooms were designed and executed exceptionally well and really show what you can do with the right ambition. Too often in the USA perfectly good buildings are knocked down and replaced with non-decript boxes.

If you are in the area we would recommend this hotel without any hesitation.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
PalmerHouseSoBe, Manager at Dream South Beach, responded to this review, October 10, 2010
Yes, we agree with you 100%! We are extremely proud of our hotel and its unique architecture and design elements. We are so happy you had a lovely stay, and we definitely can't wait to see you again next time you visit SoBe!
Kennewick, Washington
Reviewed October 6, 2010

Excellent location, half block to the beach and lots of good restaurants, another block to good shopping a a local 25 cent bus that takes you anywhere in South Beach. The rooms are small but beautifully decorated and every inch utilized. Valet parking spendy but beats hunting and your car is always ready for you. Staff very friendly and helpful. Never did get used to the lighting system in the room but no bid deal. Great TV and comfortable bed. Bath was classy. Well priced too. Would stay there again and highly recommend it. I might even learn how to manage the lighting!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Very nice! Thank you so much for staying with us! Haha, and next time we'll be more than happy to help you become a master at our cool lighting! We hope to see you soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 5, 2010

Let me be the first to say THANK YOU again to the entire staff at the Palmer House Hotel, especially Juliana, Thomas, and Lloyd. My fiance and I stayed on 30 Sept 2010 for 1 night before our cruise and our stay was unforgettable thanks to the other reviews that assisted in my decision to book the hotel. I am very skeptical about hotels and had in fact cancelled my reservation because I did not want to endure a night of being uncomfortable at an "unkown" hotel. I am SO GLAD that I rebooked my reservation after reading SEVERAL site reviews about the hotel. Best decision I could have ever made; the staff and hotel far exceeded our expectations. From the initial welcome, to the orientation of the room, to dinner recommendations, and just friendly conversation, the staff definitely added to the overall experience and certainly achieved providing excellent customer service throughout the stay.

If you are used to staying at big chain hotels, don't do it if you're going to South Beach. I definitely recommend staying at the Palmer House. I would say to ensure you know what things you want to do because any negative reviews come from a lack of what the hotel has. There are no catches with this hotel, what they have advertised is what you get so if your plans involve anything that is not within the realm of the hotel, just don't stay there, but if you're looking to be in a great location, with super clean rooms, nice trendy atmosphere, and excellent service, this hotel is PERFECT.

The rooms are as others have mentioned.. very sexy! It is a boutique hotel so ideal for no more than 2 people. The glass doors on the shower and in the bathroom add to the sexiness so don't stay with anyone you don't feel comfortable with. There are doors which separate that area from the bedroom so just close them if you are that shy! The bed was SUPER comfortable and we slept like babies...didn't hear any outside noises. Although the view from the room was not spectacular, it was not a deal breaker because we didn't need to look out of the window when the beach was just steps away. Ultimately, super clean hotel which is my #1 concern when staying at hotels. Everthing was spotless, staff was friendly, and overall will definitely stay at this hotel any time I plan to visit Miami.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank YOU for staying with us! We really had a lovely time taking care of you and your fiance, and we are all smiles knowing you had a wonderful time, and that we could be a little part of it. We definitely love your awesome review, and we can't wait to see you again soon!