“Better than expected ...”
Review of Dream South Beach

Dream South Beach
Ranked #53 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Northamptonshire
“Better than expected ...”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We weren't sure what to expect being in South Beach especially as it was Christmas. The first room presented to us had an awful view and we felt it was not acceptable for our 4 day stay here. The hotel, however, did offer us a different room which overlooked the road and this was better. It was very noisy at night although the member of staff did warn us of this but nevertheless it was ok. The room was very clean and the bed was really comfortable; the shower and bathroom were good. It was let down by, in my opinion, not enough storage, very small wardrobe and the lighting was not good - everywhere seemed dark.
The pool area was on the roof top and was excellent and the girls who looked after it were really nice.
We did eat at the hotel as we found that eating in South Beach wa expensive and the hotel food was not badly priced for the area and was good. Breakfast did seem a little dis-jointed - you asked for 3 poached eggs on toast which was on the menu and only 2 turned up. You then asked for the 3rd egg and you eventually got 3! Amazing! The staff however were really good and very friendly but I think the kitchen needs to get its act together as it took a long while to get anything.
Overall the hotel was good - well refurbished and very clean. We had never stayed in Miami before and I think we can honestly say that we would not stay there again as everything was at a cost - the whole area did seem to rip you off.

Room Tip: Check the room out first - the one we had, although not a bad view, was noisy at night.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
DreamSouthBeach, Manager at Dream South Beach, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you very much for staying with us and sharing your comments. I'm glad you've enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed our friendly service. I am sorry to hear that you had some issues with the lighting desgin and did not have enough storage space. Should you see yourself returning back and traveling with large luggage, with anticpation we can definitly try to accodmodate and reserve one of our rooms that are more spacious. We always strive to accodmodate all of our guest request. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Take Care,
Jennifer Gonzalez
Assistant Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Hebrew first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Place looked great and the location was perfect. However, room was way too small & the lighting although looked fantastic was too dark.

Very expensive for what you get, but it seems anywhere in South beach that seems to be the case

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
DreamSouthBeach, General Manager at Dream South Beach, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Thank you for your review and comments about the hotel. Located in the heart of the Art Deco district, we have put a modern touch to an 1939 Art Deco gem.

I hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again and I look forward to welcoming you back.
Boston
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Dream for quick one night stay in Miami Beach after spending a few days in the Everglades. This hotel is clearly a renovation of an old building and our room (206) was extremely small. We could hear noise from people walking in the room above us. The AC unit noise clicked all throughout the night. Whoever designed this hotel did a horrible job - the small lights on the floors outside the doors blind you every time you leave your room. The lighting system was difficult to figure out and even with all the lights on (and no blue lights) it was still too dark for my taste. I was hoping this would be a romantic night for us but the shower was small and the blue lights were unflattering. Not to mention the toilet and sink room also had a clear door and as such while I was taking my shower I could see my boyfriend using the toilet. Not sexy.

Overall the folks working at the hotel were friendly. The service for getting our car from valet ($34/night) took well over 30 minutes -- we called 15 minutes in advance then waited another 15 minutes for the valet person to show up.

The plus side - bed was very comfy and it is in a really nice location if your looking for going to the beach often. If your looking to party in Miami I'd consider staying in Miami and cabbing it to the clubs on Miami Beach. The roof deck was very well done- it was very cold the evening we stayed - but on a warm Miami night I could see it being a great place to hang out.

Room Tip: Ask the hotel about larger rooms available at the same rate - since this is a renovated building per...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah B
Dear Sarah,

Thank you for your review and I am sorry that you did not appreciate the design and layout of the room. Many of our guests do enjoy the interesting design features and atmospheric lighting, but I realize that guests who prefer a more traditional hotel room may not.

If there is anything I can do for you to encourage you to return for a more enjoyable experience, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at peggybenua@dreamsouthbeach.com

Peggy Benua
Northants
Reviewed February 19, 2013

On arrival the hotel looked in very nice order having recently been refurbished throughout, but Hey! this is Collins Ave - now you have to start paying.
Firstly, if you arrive in your own car valet parking is available at some ridiculous cost - half a block south there is a multi-storey park - go there. After all the pleasantries we booked in and was handed a sheet of paper to sign, which I duly read. It amounted to me agreeing to pay $7.99 pp per day just to have WiFi, pool towels and pool seats. When I questioned it I was told it was obligatory so I promptly told the young man that I would go to Starbucks for my WiFi, I wouldn't sit down at the pool and would walk back to my room soaking wet and I will certainly not pay any surcharge. This was obviously a new experience for this young man who conceded and told me I would not have to pay - so be warned.
Also be aware that most rooms do not have a view; the first room I was given the window looked out over a laundry affair; I refused this room and was given one on the front which was much better although it had traffic noise. Now to the room. Throughout the hotel the refurbishment was excellent. Our room had a very comfortable bed, an excellent shower and toilet facility. However, the configuration of shower meant that if someone came to the door whilst you were in the shower you were there for all to see.
I'm always concerned when I see the term "Boutique" hotel as in my opinion it means it was designed by someone who has never stayed in a hotel or by a "Vogue" room designer. There was no space or shelves to put anything. The wardrobe was tiny and had about 6 hangers let alone where you store suitcases and the room had the same fittings as a Indian group hotel.
Having said all that the room and bed was spotlessly clean and comfortable. Do keep an eye on the fridge stock as our cleaner helped herself and I was expected to pay but as a renowned traveller I never ever ever touch expensive hotel minibars so I am afraid she picked the wrong room for that.
As for the rest of the hotel it was excellent having a beautiful small pool and seats on the roof top run by a couple of lovely girls. The restaurant food was good and competitively priced for Collins Ave but the breakfast was hit and miss as to what was on the menu and what the kitchen decided you were going to have, although I have to say we got on great with the breakfast staff who treated us very well.
The hotel was situated very well for the beach and restaurants, a short walk would take you to a street which was full of eateries and you would be spoilt for choice.
Overall, the Dream hotel was a nice place to be if you have to go to South Beach. Me - I've done that now and would not return to the area for I felt that if you sneezed you would end up paying for it. As for the hotel I would recommend the Dream providing you are aware of the add ons which I have mentioned.
I'm English and won't tolerate such underhand payments and am quite verbal telling someone so.
If you must see South Beach stay at Fort Lauderdale and rent a car - its much more cost effective and a very pleasant area.
We are a couple in our early 60s, very experienced travellers.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travellers5658
Thank you for posting your review and your thoughts about South Beach and Collins avenue. While the destination might not be for everyone, we believe it to be a tropical paradise and appreciate the charm of South Beach. The Dream package that you mention is for your WiFi which is a $9.95 per day value as well as 2 beach chairs that sell for $15 each. Many guests appreciate the convenience of these amenities for $8.99 per day.

I am happy to know that you did enjoy your stay with us and despite your preference for Fort Lauderdale, I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

Peggy Benua, General Manager
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Let me just say that this hotel is really cool! My wife and I stay here a night on our 2 Year anniversary. We were upgraded to the Presidential Suite which was unbelievable! This room had every amenity possible. 2 -70' inch flats, and even a TV located in the mirror of the bathroom as well. Let me say that the decor was stellar, I felt like we were staying in a place where a MTV music video was shot. We had access to our own Private Roof Top deck with full bar and private access to the pool. This hotel and its staff were super accommodating and happy to showcase their property! Food could be ordered to your room or poolside from the Tudor house restaurant next door. Tudor house, Geoffrey Zakarian (iron chef) production a is a remarkable restaurant with superior tastes in delicious cuisine.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
DreamSouthBeach, General Manager at Dream South Beach, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Hello Josh,

What a happy occasion to be upgraded to the VIP suite. Yes, it does happen to a lucky few when the hotel is sold out. Glad you enjoyed your experience at Dream South Beach!

We agree that the Tudor Restaurant was awesome, but they have moved on to other opportunities. Please join us at the newly opened Serafina Dream South Beach Restaurant. As in the Serafina Restaurants in New York, including our Dream Hotel in mid-town, Serafina specializes in signature Northern Italian cuisine fused with an energetic atmosphere. Based on an authentic approach to cooking that uses only the highest quality ingredients, Serafina's fare originates from family recipes passed down from generation to generation. Along with pastas, salads, seafood and fine meats, the pizzas are to die for. I hope you will come back and try it soon.

Peggy Benua
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stayed at the Dream during two weeknights for a business trip. The hotel is great. The rooftop area with pool is awesome. The room was very nice, and the bed was comfortable. At check in, I was given a choice of several rooms. I think the hotel has prime location. It is close enough to to the beach to be walking on sand after a 1-2 minute walk, but far enough off Ocean Drive to not have the noise. The reason I gave the hotel 4/5 is the lighting in the room. I really liked the lighting for atmosphere, but there was no way to make the room bright. Also, the bathroom being all glass would make it less than ideal if you require privacy. I am not sure if this was just my room, or if all of them are this way.
Altogether, this hotel was great. The staff are friendly and helpful, the location is ideal, and the rooftop bar and pool area were awesome.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank John R
Thank you for posting your review and we appreciate your glowing comments about our location, rooftop pool, restaurant and staff. I agree that these elements are what make us special.

The sexy atmospheric lighting, design details and modern room layout may not suit those who favor a more traditional hotel room experience. But, many of our guests do appreciate these unique features which set us apart from many other hotels in South Beach.

I hope you will return to Dream South Beach soon.

Peggy Benua, General Manager
Saint James, New York
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Nice little hotel with a great location and a wonderful pool area on the roof. The lighting and the room were a bit odd. The door to the toilet was clear glass and offered a less than optimal privacy. We had a really nice stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
DreamSouthBeach, General Manager at Dream South Beach, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Todd, Thank you for posting your review and we appreciate your comments. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.