“Great Room for Sleeping”
Review of Dream South Beach

Dream South Beach
Ranked #47 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 18, 2012

The bed is great, fine sheets, comfortable and great pillows. Being able to sleep on vacation is important for me and the room is designed for sleep, or at least for stying in bed. The room is dark with the lights on as high as possible. Don't plan to spend time in the room unless you plan to stay in bed. Our room was small and a bit overdesigned as with trendy hotels.

Great rooftop pool and sitting areas, and nice staff.

Maintenance in the hotel is poor considering that the hotel is fairly new, our bathroom door would only open half way, an obvious problem that housekeeping should have but did not address. The hand dryer in the restroom at the pool was broken and the soap dispensers were both empty, for four days, the pool tempearature was up and down.
Overall the stay was nice, but I probably would not return.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ralph R
DreamSouthBeach, Front Office Manager at Dream South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Dream and sharing your experiences with us. I would like to offer my apologies that you experienced some issues with the condition of the public areas. Here at Dream, we hold ourselves to very high standards, and we take it seriously when we fail in an area such as this.

I would love a chance to speak with you directly about your stay, and hopefully you will allow me the chance to restore your faith in us. I may be contacted at: 305-673-474, or johnwalbridge@dreamsouthbeach.com.

Thank you again for staying with us, and I hope to speak with you soon!

John Walbridge - Front Office Manager

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I stayed here for 7 days when I was down in FL for a conference. It was a nice boutique hotel and in a great location - near restaurants, shops, nightlife and a block from the beach. The rooms were super dark and there is no business center so I don't recommend it for business travel. I would definitely return for a personal vacation though. The rooms are super trendy and the rooftop pool was amazing. There is a restaurant in the lobby but I never ate there during the visit - it was never really that crowded so I am not sure how long it will survive.

The hotel was clean and the service was excellent. Note, check in is in one building but you may stay right across which is no big deal - gave me a glass of champagne when I checked in which was nice. Also watch, because there is a daily resort credit that is charged no matter if you use the beach/rooftop pool.

Note - No gym - have to use Crunch down the block which costs $20/visit.

Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
DreamSouthBeach, Front Office Manager at Dream South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Thank you very much for staying with us, and your nice recommendation! We agree with you 100% about our rooftop pool and lounge - it is awesome up there and the best way to relax in true South Beach style. We are all smiles knowing that you we were able to provide you with excellent service and that you could enjoy a nice glass of champagne during your check in. Thanks again for choosing Dream, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

the hotel is in a great location right in the middle of everything in sobe. that is about where the magic stops. the rooms are very small, I've been in cruise ship rooms bigger. the walls super thin
which makes sleeping in almost impossible. not to mention that you can hear everyones bathroom schedule (unless your into that kind of thing)

with the second tower rooftop bar be ready for a music filled night till about 2 am which is early for sobe. but chances are if your staying this close to the club's then, your out anyway.. also if you do stay here and they put you next to the elevator run as far as you can back to the front desk and change rooms trust me.... trust me. all in all would I stay here again... no. with the area so small and plenty of cabs I would choose a higher quality hotel with better amenities and sound proofing. and just cab it anywhere else

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Dt1820

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Dream for your trip to South Beach! We are very happy to hear that you were able to enjoy our prime location - you really can't get any better than the heart of South Beach!

It is disappointing to hear that you were disturbed by outside noise during your stay and that you were not able to relax as much as you had planned. All of us here at Dream would love a chance to welcome you back and ensure that you have an outstanding experience! Thank you for your business, and until the next time, take care!

Reviewed December 14, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel during Art Basel. We traveled with a small group, and the hotel choice was made by a staff person. We knew that we were not in the demographic for this place, but went with the group. The pluses: hotel staff were unfailingly pleasant and aimed to please, great location on Collins as well as one short block from the beach, and very clean rooms with comfy beds & good showers. If you look at this hotel's web site, our room looked exactly like the photo....beautiful pale blue fabrics and blue glow. It really was pretty. If you are over 30 years old, though, it is not really functional. The biggest problem for our group were the lights. There were 6 lighted buttons in the bedroom and the entryway. There were little pictograms on each button to indicate which light it operated, but they were very confusing. You had to learn to hold the buttons down while the lights got brighter or dimmer. Lights proved confusing for everyone, and the hotel sent floor lamps up to some people, as the room lights proved inadequate. There are small nightstands, a bench at the foot of the bed, and a small dressing table. The top of the bar was covered with snacks for purchase. This left very little horizontal surface for unpacking. The closet is super-tiny, next to the shower as you enter. Also in the entryway on the right was the commode and sink with only a glass wall/door. If someone opened the door to the room, they immediately saw you sitting on the john. Some folks might object to that. Fixtures were nice brands--toilet was Toto but not a fancy model; fixtures were Grohe. If you care about looks vs. function, which is sort of what South Beach is about, then it was great. The roof top pool was nice but small. The attendant was very nice, distributing towels & lemon water & drinks when needed. When we were there the restaurant was being changed to a different management, so the food was very limited. The pool did not open until 9:00am. I went up to swim early one morning and realized why. The nightly parties at the very hip roof bar resulted in cigarette butts, glasses, fruit garnishes thrown around, and the cleaners needed time to power wash the deck. Pretty gross. The elevator was somewhat slow as it was original to the building. There was a slot to slide your room key, but that was never necessary, as the public needed access to the roof bar. I wondered why this wasn't operative to limit access to the other floors for security. Noise was an issue: although there is an interior door between the entryway and the bedroom, you can hear other hotel doors slamming shut. Floors are hardwood so you can hear sounds from other rooms, especially when the maids are cleaning. While in this hotel, you are surrounded by thumping music pretty much every night, so if you are over 30, bring your eye shades & earplugs. If you are younger than 30, you will love it here.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank PoisonPrincess
DreamSouthBeach, Front Office Manager at Dream South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2012

Thank you very much for choosing Dream, and sharing your experiences and feedback with us. We are very happy to know that you were able to interact with our friendly staff, and also that you were able to take advantage of our prime location. We do understand that our hotel may not be for everyone, especially those guests who are accustomed to the more standard design and layout of other hotels throughout the world. However, we are very proud of our unique and very cool design, and from the rave reviews we have received so far, we know we are providing a wonderful hotel experience for our guests.

Thanks again for choosing Dream, and we look forward to seeing you again one day soon! Take care!

Reviewed December 13, 2012

My husband and I visited Dreams South Beach for our 1 year wedding anniversary and could not be happier with our stay. The room was very clean and trendy. I know some other travelers made an issue of the glass doors to the bathroom /shower, but there are another set of doors that can be closed for privacy, so it wasn't an issue. The staff were extremely friendly and the roof top bar was an excellent place to relax and have some drinks after a long day on the beach. The pizza at Seraphina was delicious and is a must try! We were checked in as soon as we arrived even though we arrived earlier than the actual check in time of 3pm. Overall it was a great little getaway and if I were to come back to Miami in the near future I would definitely stay at Dreams=)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Trish91NewYork_NY

Just perfect! Thank you so much for your great review! We are so pleased that we were able to be a part of your anniversary celebration and be able to make it extra special for you both. Great job on choosing to eat at Serafina - we are in love with the food there as well! We really appreciate your business, and hope to welcome you back for many more anniversaries in the future!

Reviewed December 9, 2012

My husband booked a surprise honeymoon for us after our wedding, and we stayed at the Dream Hotel.
It was sooo nice to be somewhere right in the centre of the centre of South Beach.
The standard rooms was a bit small but again we were in MIAMI and spent most of our days out so did not really mind.
The hotel is well positioned as you have the most of the Miami night life around you, but you still feel okay as the noise never gets to you in the rooms.
The glass thingy by the bathroom (in the standard king room) was quite different but overall ambience was cool and chic.
We stayed there from 31st Oct to 5th Nov 2012 and on our final night, we upgraded to the junior suite which was fabulous as it had more space. I mustn't fail to commend the really cool decor of the rooms, plus they were extremely clean and smelled sooo good. Things you take for granted until you stay in really crabby albeit expensive hotels.
The hotel staff were extremely friendly and very helpful. Henry the Valet was very very nice to us as well.
My husband and I spent a lot of time on the roof-top bar, toasting to a new life together and I think that was the highlight of my honeymoon for me.
All in al, i would say very nice and I liked my stay there and I highly recommend Dream Hotel as a decent well worth place to stay in Miami.

Room Tip: The suites have more wardrobe room and not as snug as the standard rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
DreamSouthBeach, Front Office Manager at Dream South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Awesome! Thank you so much for your glowing review and great comments about our hotel and our staff, especially Henry! We are so happy that we were able to make your honeymoon extra special and ensure that you had a stay full of new memories together. Thank you for choosing Dream South Beach, and we hope to see you for many more anniversaries in the future!

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Stayed 2 nites. Clean room, very comfortable bed. Liked the decor. Very Modern. Rooms are small and a little cramped for 2 people. Lighting was confusing to work. Glass door on the water closet is... strange. Valet parking curbside. Beautiful pool on the roof. Weather was not co-operative for us to try it out, though.

We made the mistake of of storing our luggage for a few hours after check out. I had brought my pillow from home. It was not until we were 2 hours away heading home that I noticed my pillow was missing. I called the hotel and a very nice young man located it right away. I asked him to put it in a box and that I would issue a Call Tag; have UPS pick it up and ship it to back to me at my expense. UPS made 3 consecutive day attempts. Each time it was not "Ready". Each day I called and spoke to someone and was assured that the next day it would be "ready" for pick up. (Apparenty they failed to box it and just tried to hand it off to the UPS driver who told them it needed to be boxed.) After UPS exhausted the 3 attempts, I called and got 3 different people on the phone. The latest word I have today is that they are shipping it back to me FedEX. The guy stressed that they were going to "go ahead and ship it back at their expense since UPS dropped the ball" (Really??) and that I would have it 3 days. Hummmm. FedEx implies Express...NOT. He said he prepared the waybill and clicked the "least expensive option" / 3 day service. What I find ridiculous is that I am in the same state and only one day ground delivery from Miami and he clicked 3 day service. It's been a week and still no pillow. Glad it was not something I REALLY needed in a hurry!! Needless to say the lack of concern on the hotel's part did not leave me with a good impression.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank pixiec1

Dear Guest,

I am happy that you had a nice time while staying with us and got to relax and enjoy the cool design of the hotel and your room.

I would like to offer my sincerest apologies in our failure to return your lost pillow in a timely manner. It is very distressing to know that several attempts were made and each time there was some mix-up or miscommunication between us, the carrier, and yourself. We hold ourselves to very high standards here at Dream South Beach, and it is highly disappointing when we fail to deliver outstanding service to our guests.

Although I cannot erase what happened, I would love an opportunity to help restore your faith in us. I look forward to speaking with you directly and to invite you back for a future stay so that myself and my team can provide you with an outstanding experience. I may be contacted at: johnwalbridge@dreamsouthbeach.com, or 305-673-4747.

John Walbridge - Front Office Manager