“Great location, stylish, but complacent rubbish service and pricey”
Review of Prime Hotel

Prime Hotel
Ranked #153 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
London, United Kingdom
“Great location, stylish, but complacent rubbish service and pricey”
Reviewed April 28, 2011

The hotel is part of a growing little empire in south beach including Prime 112, Prime Italian, Big Pink and others. It looks great, is really nicely designed and furnished, but none of the staff care about delivering service. It's not at all cheap so you'd expect the coffee machine to work, the bathroom supplies to be topped up and the ipod dock to work; and you'd certainly expect them to be fixed within 4 days. Having a room here will not boost your chances of a table at Prime 112 restaurant (next door) being available when booked. Such a shame, a little bit of effort would make this into a great hotel but if the owners continue to take folk for granted it'll fade fast. Avoid - the gloss is only that.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank Gaiusjones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
High Point, North Carolina
Reviewed March 27, 2011

The Prime Hotel is the place to stay. Celebrities are out all night eating below and across the street from this hotel. I am amazed at the fact they do not charge more to stay here. The staff was awesome, the room was very clean. The bathrooms was nice and very upscale. I will be back to visit the Prime Hotel. We found the Prime Hotel on Expedia. We left North Carolina to get some of South Beach sun. We stayed at the Prime Hotel for the weekend. Our next visit will be for a week. I love South Beach and the Prime Hotel. The location is more calm, however just walk a few blocks to party city.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank flossie29
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 7, 2011

In December 2010, I booked a room (via Hotels.com) for a February stay at the Prime Hotel. I paid in full and all three of us who used the site confirmed our booking. We were there for the 20th wedding anniversary party of my closet friends from college. Needless to say my friends were placed in the newly re-furbished hotel and I was placed in another, separate building. Although my friends had rooms that were impeccable; I was placed in a room above the kitchen and next to the restaurant toilets. There was a constant parade of drunken patrons and kitchen staff in the hallway and outside my door. As my room was above the kitchen, it was also infested with cockroaches. I complained to the hotel manager and she only offered to move me to a different room in the same stinking, urine slathered hallway. My friends also complained (as we had three sets of guests staying in the hotel) and later in the morning; the hotel manager attempted to move one of my friends out of their nice room into an "upgraded" room in the dump where I was staying. Evidently, this was a feeble attempt to swap rooms so I would not continue to complain. In my opinion, the service was horrible and the staff thoroughly unprofessional. This was the worst travel experience I have had in 20 years and on 6 continents. The guaranteed wireless internet service did not work and the hotel manager's suggestion was to try taking my laptop to the pool or bar (at 9:00 p.m.). It was such a nightmare that I checked out at 5:00 a.m. and waited for fours hours in Miami International Airport for my next flight. I hope this review helps other avoid what I experienced - bait and switch.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank SidRamirez
philadelphia, pa
Reviewed January 8, 2011

When my boyfriend and I were looking for a place to stay for a single night for New Years Eve I researched the Prime Hotel for a quiet and easy place for a single night. The rooms looked great, the few reviews I saw looked decent, so I booked it. Also, it was a benefit that it was across the street from Prime Italian where we had a dinner reservation. When we arrived, we entered the Prime Hotel, to a small desk where we checked in, but to my surprise, the host escorted us next door to Prime 112 saying we were staying in their rooms above the restaurant. Weird, but ok. So we walk in, and they are setting up for New Years eve dinner, as if that were not enough, they lined our small hallway with extra chairs, champagne glasses, and boxes of liquor they were unloading for the nights events. We enter our room, no balcony as we had paid for, I said something to the host and she said it was not in our room charge, so I said whatever and let it be. We had a beautiful view... of the construction site next door. Still, the room was fine, not large, but plain white bed, big tv, and a shower- not fancy or necessarily modern decor, but it did the job. Aside from the weirdness of walking in and out of the restaurant every time we left our room, oh and the people in our hallway all day and night, we went to dinner without a hitch and came back to prepare for our night. We returned late, around 2:45 am, and there was still a party going in prime 112. We thought we would ride it out, since it was music blaring and we were right above the restaurant, but come 3:45 in the morning I had had enough. I called the front desk, who said they were there 24 hours, no answer three times in a row. Finally they answer, and tell me that the owner is having a party and it is UNLIKELY that they can get him to turn the music down. I was so angry, I mean this wasnt like 12:30 at night, this was almost 4 am, what if we were a married couple with a child? They were so far from accommodating it was ridiculous. We left as soon as we got up in the morning, given our nights sleep was difficult because I woke up to clanking and doors slamming from the staff putting away the nights leftovers in our hallway all morning. I don't know how the main hotel is, but for nearly 600 dollars for a single night, I could've stayed across the street at the Hilton for a much nicer/better stay. Would not recommend it, and I am a very nice reviewer. If you do stay there, make sure you stay in the primary hotel, and not above Prime 112.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank dingy1287
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 14, 2010

I honestly don't take time to leave reviews but this small boutique hotel (only 14 rooms) deserves it! Great service from the time I walked in. I was personally showed to my room and toured around the building. Beautiful rooftop that overlooks Prime Italian and Prime 112 restaurants. You can easily spot a celeb bc of the location (So-Fi) away from the busy touristy area of 5th - 8th (but it's a quick 4 blocks to get there if needed). Located on Ocean, so the beach was a quick 2 minute walk. I had home-made cookies, fruit-infused water (which is the new thing in SoBe), and the room was CLEAN with a unheard of wrap-around balcony! I have stayed at many hotels in SoBe, but this is the best. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank flaluvin
liverpool
Reviewed June 22, 2010

Me and my boyfriend drove down to miami from Orlando for a night out in miami. We didnt book a hotel and we just passed the Prime hotel. We couldnt find an entrance so we went to walk away when a very polite lady asked us if we needed help, we asked for a room for the night and she offered us a good rate for the room. The rooms were so clean and modern you just couldnt fault it. We were shown to the rooftop pool and sitting area and were blow away that such a small hotel has an amazing area like this. We were going to to straight to ninki beach (which is directly opposite the hotel) but decided to go to the rooftop. We has the area to ourselves and I cant remember the girl on receptions name but she was bringing us cocktails which were amazing a little prices but what do you expect in miami. We didnt eat in the restaurant but i believe it is fab! Would have loved to be staying here longer and will be returning and would recommend it highly. Thanks

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank charliebrown776
Washington, DC
Reviewed June 7, 2010

My friend and I stayed in the Prime Hotel for a long weekend and absolutely loved it! We were initially a little nervous about staying somewhere that didn't have any user reviews. To our relief, the hotel looks exactly like the photos on the hotel's website. Besides all the usual high-end hotel amenities, there are some nice little touches like bed linens that smell heavenly, free espresso in the rooms, complimentary Voss water on the rooftop as well as various fruit- or vegetable-infused water (they had cucumber and orange-infused waters while we were there).

And the best part of our stay was the service of the hotel staff. Everyone we dealt with was really friendly and helpful. As an example, we loved the infused waters, but knew that the cleaning staff dump it out at the end of the day (they make a fresh batch every morning). When we rushed to the rooftop to get a last glass one day, we ran into the cleaning staff in the elevator who had told us they had already cleaned it up. We expressed our disappointment and went back to our room. Within a few minutes, we heard a knock on the door - they brought us extra glasses of the water without us even asking for it. I think that kind of thoughtfulness helps to elevate a nice stay to a truly excellent one.

Just for purposes of full disclosure, there are a couple things that are a bit unusual about this place. First, there is no hotel lobby. You basically walk into a bar/lounge, and there's a little desk on the side that serves as the front desk. It's a bit disconcerting, but you get used to it. Second, the "pool" on the rooftop is about two feet deep and is really a rectangular-sized jacuzzi.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends